Player Movement 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

In terms of the Redbacks, if you look at a potential Shield line up...

Michael Klinger
?
Tom Cooper
Callum Ferguson
Travis Head
?
?
Kane Richardson/Joe Mennie
Gary Putland
Nathan Lyon
Peter George

You can see where the gaps are. I didn't include Dan Christian, just because of the speculation of him moving. If he goes, then you can add all-rounder to the list of needs, if not then don't worry about it. But we clearly need an opening batsman, some more middle order depth, a second spinner and a wicket keeper.

However, I'd be all for sticking with home grown talent. Ben Dougall is only 20, and has big wraps on him as an opening batsman. While Tom Stray didn't embarrass himself in his Shield games this season. Alex Ross is another young batsman, and he'll be playing in England this offseason. Plus, we could always give some grade players a chance for once. Not saying we should avoid bringing in any batsmen, but I wouldn't be chasing a whole bunch of them.

A young spinner wouldn't go astray. But as for wicket keeper, are we going to get anything better than Crosthwaite or Ludeman? I doubt it. So again, might as well stick with a Davey or Carey and try to develop them.

The only 'name' players I'd probably go after would be Maddinson and Khawaja. As much as it pains me to say it, maybe a Steve Smith - if and only if, Dan Christian leaves.

But I don't think we need to go crazy, despite our lack of success this season.

stray has a fantastic technique, and in the two games i saw him play last season he tonned up (one futures game, one a second xi game)... i was suprised that he scored so low in his opening shield games, but he had a poor season in grade cricket in 2010/11, and aside from those two tons hardly scored a run. but his four seasons prior were very good.

did much better in the last couple of games so maybe that will boost his confidence.

Would imagine Agar would be mostly concerned about getting his back right and playing grade cricket again.

Queensland have massive wraps on Peirson, he'll be groomed to take over from Hartley.

Cleary's gone back to Mildura, retired.

Is Rob Cassell still around or has he finally hung them up? Cleary and D Patt will probably go one way or the other. Rogers should definitely stay until a few young guys put their hands up.

Rob Cassell was in a wheelchair the last I heard, hip replacement. Pretty sure his body isn't made for bowling.

I kind of hope Hughes goes to Victoria. This board would be absolutely hilarious. I also kind of hope Smith goes to SA, as much as I'd like to keep him. Might help him shed the "NSW goldenboy" stigma and actually get recognised for the ridiculously talented (if a little raw) young player he is.

that is a joke right about steve smith! if both players moved neither would never be talked about again to represent Australia.

Smith might be talented but is he the same quality as say someone like Andrew Symonds? I don't think so. As for moving states, I don't think it would hurt Hughes and Smith chance of playing test cricket for Australia again, but they'd have to pick the right state. They could probably both move to either QLD or Tasmania to learn how to leave the ball and tighten up their techniques.

Smith might be talented but is he the same quality as say someone like Andrew Symonds? I don't think so. As for moving states, I don't think it would hurt Hughes and Smith chance of playing test cricket for Australia again, but they'd have to pick the right state. They could probably both move to either QLD or Tasmania to learn how to leave the ball and tighten up their techniques.
I dont really advocate our talented players going to South Australia and just turning into a bunch of Callum Fergusons as I fear would happen. Qld or Tassie would give them a tougher test.

It's also pretty obvious Hughes and Smiths techniques might tighten up a little but will never be flawless, thus alot of their development rests on them trying to attain Waugh-like (Steve, not Mark) levels of concentration and willingness to play each ball on its merits - not go inside their shells, but just only be playing shots when the ball is there to be hit.

Steve Smith, as a top order batsmen, generally shows pretty good application despite a dodgy technique, and hence scores runs at first class level. It's when he's in the ODI/T20 teams and they expect him to slog from the outset that he just looks awful

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mate said he heard on the news that T.Paine has been offerd to go to SA also been offerd the captaincy job, Anyone else heard anything about this.

Another rumour circling is that Klinger is stepping down and Johan Botha will be captaining all three teams.

Well I don't think Klinger should step down, and I hope it doesn't, but first it was Steve Smith as captain, then Callum Ferguson as captain, then Paine and now Botha. So while I think none of those players were/are really likely to move, a new captain is the common denominator... Botha is a real wtf. He's still the South African spinner so I really don't see it happening. Although I half suspect you're joking around :p

Well I don't think Klinger should step down, and I hope it doesn't, but first it was Steve Smith as captain, then Callum Ferguson as captain, then Paine and now Botha. So while I think none of those players were/are really likely to move, a new captain is the common denominator... Botha is a real wtf. He's still the South African spinner so I really don't see it happening. Although I half suspect you're joking around :p

clearly Darren Berry is going to captain/coach and keep wicket next season. :rolleyes::p

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...redbacks-skipper/story-e6frecj3-1226314944092

Botha confirmed. You would have thought if he was quitting SA he'd taken a county contract. (not that he can't, of course) so that's probably a good thing for concerned SA fans, he's not just doing it for the money. He's a pretty good leader, and can bat. Maybe not a matchwinner with the ball, but sure as hell is better than whatever depth for Lyon they would have got.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back