NRL Channel 9 to show Melbourne Storm free-to-air games live locally

Remove this Banner Ad

It's still not good enough.
it's not just Storm games I want to watch. I want to watch other games as well, particularly Friday nights.
And what about supporters from other clubs who live in Melbourne?

Good points.

If they can do it for one team, why not do it every week?

Because they mix with the big wigs from afl in Melb.

It will be interesting to see what level of promotion friday nights game gets on 9.

Ok, just noticed there is nothing on the tv guide for either go or Gem which indicates live coverage of the Storm v Knights game.

Apparently the game in Perth on channel nine rated 7,000 ... but I don't see how, because when I checked channel nine it wasn't being played. Very confusing, but a frustrating bit of business really.

I think the NRL broadcasts (with very little in the way of advertising and no local team involved) have been hitting the 20k mark which I think is pretty respectable given the circumstances.

Looked on the EPG today and saw Channel 9 had the storm game starting at 10.30pm :(:eek:

Think that this is all we're going to get from them:mad:

Nine can't just put Live NRL on GEM or GO without getting permission from the Communications Minister first, this article today indicates that they have not only applied for that permission but applied for more than just LIVE Storm matches but LIVE Friday Night and Sunday Afternoon coverage.

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...nel-to-entice-nrl-viewers-20120327-1vwjd.html

Channel Nine has applied to the federal government for permission to show NRL games on its digital affiliate Gem. Notionally, that would mean Friday night and Sunday afternoon games currently consigned to post-midnight slots in Victoria, Western Australia, South Australia and Tasmania could be shown live.

Nine would not reveal how it planned to use the power to show NRL on Gem, but confirmed an application had been made and a decision was imminent.

''The Minister [Senator Stephen Conroy] has indicated his support for increased coverage of sport on free-to-air television in the past,'' a Nine spokesperson said.

So looks like Nine didn't get approval in time for Friday Night, but long term we might get more than just Storm games on FTA on GEM or GO

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...nel-to-entice-nrl-viewers-20120327-1vwjd.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sparing a thought for every fan that's had a whinge and a bitch, emailed and phoned 9, the NRL and anyone else they might care to complain too.

Television coverage was the key missing component in the games development outside of it's heartland areas.

Like everyone else, it's great to finally have a choice in what we want to watch on a friday night and a sunday afternoon.

GEM schedule for next Thursday is out. Still no Thursday night (NRL) Footy Show.

And no Sunday (NRL) Footy Show on GEM either.

I'm so confused with all this, Ch.9 should put out a media statement and explain exactly what's happening about broadcasts into afl heartlands, state by state.

Either way, I still hope they lose the rights when the next deal is done.
I'm not going to say I'm grateful this current *gesture* of games being shown on Gem, they just don't deserve any grattitude or respect whatsoever.

Yeah, my bad. I assumed it was a morning program like the Sunday AFL Footy Show which is why I missed it.

This Sunday in Melbourne on GEM:
2:00-4:00 Sunday Footy Show
4:00-6:00 LIVE: Tigers v Rabbitohs

I still reckon every state should get both Thursday night Footy Shows live.

I'm so confused with all this, Ch.9 should put out a media statement and explain exactly what's happening about broadcasts into afl heartlands, state by state.

Either way, I still hope they lose the rights when the next deal is done.
I'm not going to say I'm grateful this current *gesture* of games being shown on Gem, they just don't deserve any grattitude or respect whatsoever.

Regardless of the reasons behind their decision which we all agree on, this is a poor attitude.

End of the day, we should be congratulating them and try to work with then to ensure we maintain these coverage levels.

Particularly if they retain the rights.

Regardless of the reasons behind their decision which we all agree on, this is a poor attitude.

End of the day, we should be congratulating them and try to work with then to ensure we maintain these coverage levels.

Particularly if they retain the rights.
I agree. I don't understand the negativity to be honest.
We are getting what we want aren't we?:confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back