MRP / Trib. AFL Round 1 charges - Scarlett accepts three-match ban and Kelly accepts reprimand for striking

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Scarletts left hook

That's true; it'll be hard to prove the hairline fracture to his jaw was caused by Scarlett's left hook .
A QC however could argue on the basis of probability supported by video evidence.
Hayden Ballantyne would thrive on getting whacked in every quarter of every game if it drew a free kick in the goal square.

We love him, opposition fans don't.
Either way he has a suspected hairline fracture to his jaw which is unlikely to have been caused by talking.

Scarlett will get 3 weeks.

That's great. He can hang that admiration next to his 3 premiership medal.. oh wait... never mind

Sniping muppet

Go Catters...

Re: Scarlett's left hook

Lol by adding Balls name in there you've lost all credibility. He gets his head ripped off and gets nothing.

I just find Cats supporters unbelievable that they actually think their players don't dive and stage for free kicks.
Quote me someone, ANYONE in this thread, saying Cats players don't dive or stage for frees. Go on

Scarlo really let us down.

If he had a bit more self control, maybe we'd have an excellent backline for the next couple of weeks.

Oh well.

Scarlo really let us down.

If he had a bit more self control, maybe we'd have an excellent backline for the next couple of weeks.

Oh well.

And coincidence or not, in today's Age there is an interview between Matthew Lloyd and Scarlett in which Scarlett says it is the mental aspect of the game that will tell him when it's time to retire.

I wasn't referring to you at all, Ok so I was wrong, some people aren't drunks/bandwagoners, just scapegoating wimps.

Its gone beyond pointing it out, its now becoming disrespecting a champion for having a brain fart of which I am sure he regretted as soon as he did it.

Heaven forbid a team rule gets broken by a champion. He will be punished for it, and rightly so. I still don't see it as such a big issue that some are making it out to be. I would've belted the mouthy prick too, albeit maybe a bit more discretely, especially if I just got pantsed 10 seconds prior like scarlo did.

Also, Scarlo is as fit as ever physically, Its his mind that maybe tired of playing H+A games. TBH since our domination started I care less and less about H+A games too. They're tryouts for the real stuff, of which scarlo will be apart of.

Can't agree with that sorry. We've played 1 home and away game - for one LOSS. And if you don't win enough of them you don't play finals. Home and away games ARE the real stuff.

Being so arrogant to think we're going to waltz into the top 4 or top 2 and picking and choosing when to play well will result in disaster. Exactly what Chapman said 5 years ago.

Scarlett needs to be told when it's a senior game he has to be switched on; if he can't do that get another job. He's not above the team, no matter what the past accomplishments are.

And coincidence or not, in today's Age there is an interview between Matthew Lloyd and Scarlett in which Scarlett says it is the mental aspect of the game that will tell him when it's time to retire.

Not a coincidence.

Any player would want to knock Ballantyne down, and that's without knowing how he provoked Scarlett. Scarlo is still one of, if not the best defender in the comp.

Retire? I think not.

What gutter tactics ?
Ballas is just an annoying buggar and he got whacked for it but that's what he does and, further , he'll do it again.

Ling, Crowley , chappy ect ect all the niggling blatant king hits and you don't see thoses action as gutter tactics?

The fat hobbit is a baker clone no talent do has to run his mouth of and hit players when the umps not around.

Wish he was playing in the 80's just to see someone break his face week in week out.

Can't agree with that sorry. We've played 1 home and away game - for one LOSS. And if you don't win enough of them you don't play finals. Home and away games ARE the real stuff.

Being so arrogant to think we're going to waltz into the top 4 or top 2 and picking and choosing when to play well will result in disaster. Exactly what Chapman said 5 years ago.

Scarlett needs to be told when it's a senior game he has to be switched on; if he can't do that get another job. He's not above the team, no matter what the past accomplishments are.

Overreact much?

Scarlett makes an uncharacteristic mistake, and all of a sudden we're out talking about players "thinking" they're "above" the team, telling our best player to get another job, and pondering the possibility of us failing throughout the season.

SUPPORTERS are ALLOWED to think making finals will be easy.
It doesn't MATTER what Chappy says about it, because that applies for the PLAYERS not the SUPPORTERS.

Haven't seen the game and won't but in reading thse comments and talking to people who did watch the game Freemantle went out to thump. They did and they were successful in having 3 Geelong players reported. Seems the Umpires once again did not control the game, seems like once again interstate games are umpired for the local crowd.
Perhaps this is what the AFL wants as part of its national dominance, perhaps it makes better TV, which is definitely what they want.
Either way it makes for poor football.
But we also have to take control and with adozen or sao runners, cocahes etc aroudn the ground surely thay could have have taken action once Ballyntine started, pull Scarlett off the ground, mix it up a bit.
Sure Scarlett could have been disciplined but after all players are human not robots and when Umpires just let it go must be hard to control your anger.
As for Johnson staging, stop the stupidity about this and watch the GF where the dumb commentators say just that, then they watch the replay and acknowledge that he was taken high.
But despite all of that and other umpiring stunts we just lost. The rest of the year is ours to take.

Ling, Crowley , chappy ect ect all the niggling blatant king hits and you don't see thoses action as gutter tactics?

The fat hobbit is a baker clone no talent do has to run his mouth of and hit players when the umps not around.

Wish he was playing in the 80's just to see someone break his face week in week out.

Mick Malthouse would be my pick. Based on what I saw him to do Garry Wilson and (especially) Tony Buhagiar it would been a wonderful moment.

Overreact much?

Scarlett makes an uncharacteristic mistake, and all of a sudden we're out talking about players "thinking" they're "above" the team, telling our best player to get another job, and pondering the possibility of us failing throughout the season.

SUPPORTERS are ALLOWED to think making finals will be easy.
It doesn't MATTER what Chappy says about it, because that applies for the PLAYERS not the SUPPORTERS.

Depends on your point of view. Some fans think all is well, our side is still strong, and a top 4 berth is all but assured. Fair enough, that's fine. I also fully understand that all players get frustrated, all have a breaking point, and obviously the little toerag Ballantyne made Scarlett reach his.

However, we still need to win home and away games. Two years ago early season losses to Fremantle and Carlton were breezily dismissed as unimportant; we ending up missing top spot to Collingwood by 2 points. We could have played the Dogs in the first week of the finals, and how different could things have turned out? That's why I personally don't dismiss any home and away loss - especially games that they could and should have won. Because they all count.

That's another viewpoint, but it's just as valid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if the AFL will send a please explain to Ports Allipate Carlisle for tweeting "Well done Matthew Scarlett for doing what every footballer wants to do" [not the exact words]

I was wondering that too. Apparently one of Carlile's teammates retweeted it as well.

My bad , I misunderstood your point and I agree.

The biggest problem now creeping into the game is players diving at opponents' legs or mid-drift to draw head high contact.

Staging in general will continue as long as the AFL continues to sprout rhetoric on clamping down on staging. there hasn't been one report that i can recall since they stated it was a reportable offence.

I agree about the head ducking. It's infuriating and again, Joel Selwood is a master at it.

I agree about the head ducking. It's infuriating and again, Joel Selwood is a master at it.

:thumbsdown:
here's an idea
Why don't opposition players tackle at the hips instead of trying to bear hug him in a vein attempt to tackle?

The reason why they don't is because he is running at such high speed and intensity that any attempt would cause them injury.
It's why he is able to get away from the tackle and receive the free kick as they are quite poor tacklers and the arms usually end up around his neck instead of around his waist like a tackle should be laid.

Rugby players are masters of the tackling through the hips and it's not Selwood who needs to be blamed but the way AFL players are tackling today.

Watch this classic tackle and you tell me how many times we see this in today's game

[YOUTUBE]rec-5TNcCZg[/YOUTUBE]

It's not rocket science, either tackle at the hips or risk giving away the free kicks time and time again ;)

here's an idea
Why don't opposition players tackle at the hips instead of trying to bear hug him in a vein attempt to tackle?

The reason why they don't is because he is running at such high speed and intensity that any attempt would cause them injury.
It's why he is able to get away from the tackle and receive the free kick as they are quite poor tacklers and the arms usually end up around his neck instead of around his waist like a tackle should be laid.

Rugby players are masters of the tackling through the hips and it's not Selwood who needs to be blamed but the way AFL players are tackling today.

Watch this classic tackle and you tell me how many times we see this in today's game

It's not rocket science, either tackle at the hips or risk giving away the free kicks time and time again ;)

I'll go further than that. Opposition players are instructed that it would be better to give away a free on Selwood and slow up play than to let him run loose. If high on the shoulder is all you can grab, thats ok.

That is what I reckon.

I don't get all this hullaboo about Selwood being a ducker or diver or staging for free kicks. What he does is simply a technique he uses to avoid tackles. If he was staging, you'd think he'd stay down and look at the umpire. Instead, he grabs the ball and keeps going.

His brothers at West Coast do the same thing, but you never hear Pies or Hawks fans calling them duckers or cheats. I just think it's a case of jealousy because the Hawks drafted Thorp before Selwood, and Selwood pipped Pendlebury for the Rising Star award in 2007.

here's an idea

[YOUTUBE]rec-5TNcCZg[/YOUTUBE]

Ive been saying this for years, i agree completely, you said it well.

Anyone that still goes on about it is a fool.

Please someone out there tell me about Chris Scotts comment that he would like Ballintyne in our team
Is he being clever, a smart alec or serious.
Surely he can't mean that he would prefer a sniper to a premiership player. Surely he can't be saying that our players are soft. Surely he can't being feeling nostalgic about that scum Freemantle team,.
Please, please clear this up,

Please someone out there tell me about Chris Scotts comment that he would like Ballintyne in our team
Is he being clever, a smart alec or serious.
Surely he can't mean that he would prefer a sniper to a premiership player. Surely he can't be saying that our players are soft. Surely he can't being feeling nostalgic about that scum Freemantle team,.
Please, please clear this up,

We shouldn't forget that Ballantyne can play. He's one of those irritating players who can distract the focus of opposition players while retaining his own. He pushes the boundaries, that's true, and went outside them at least once yesterday and will pay the price methinks. But irritating opposition players to the point where they lose focus and doing so within the rules without adversely affecting his game serves a useful team purpose. So why wouldn't you like to have him in your team? Whatever it takes within the rules I guess.

Re tackling.Players are instructed to go in low, focussing on the waist then dropping their weight to drag the opponent down. But the game is played at such a frenetic pace that tackling according to Hoyle is extraordinarily difficult and expecting it to occur in most tackling situations is unrealistic.

Fact is, providing a player is in possession of the ball and is not pushed he can be tackled below the shoulders and above the knees. That’s been the law for quite some time and I can’t see it changing anytime soon.

Had a conversation a while back with a mate, and we were talking about the rules protecting the head, and how it has changed the way players go about it - using Selwood as an example. By no means is he anything close to soft, but the protection (or perceived protection) offered by the rules as they are allow him to lead with his head, (which regularly can draw a free kick) where in the past that would have been a very foolish thing to do, as he would have been KO'd on a weekly basis.

The end result of these rules is liekly going to be the opposite of the intention - players will not learn to protect themselves as they grow, and will lead with their head, as its effective. I fear Selwood is only the first innovator, and we may see far more in his 'style'. Which, in this case, isn't really a good thing.

I know it will hurt you guys that Scarlett will miss a few weeks, but it was really good to see him punch Frodo in the face :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back