Environment Has the weather in Melbourne always been so sh#t?

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
For whatever reason, that I don't understand, the heat never feels as bad in Perth that it does in Melbourne.

I have lived in Melbourne for two nearly 2 years now, and I have to say the weather is absolute crap.
I don't understand why you're whinging about it, man. It's not like there's a dial somewhere and we can control it.

I have lived in a number of different cities around the world, including Montreal and London, and I have to say the weather in Melbourne is the worst of the lot. It is so depressing!
Do the citizens of Montreal complain about the GP with the same intensity as we do?

policegetthatman

Club Legend
Suspended
Feb 1, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
For whatever reason, that I don't understand, the heat never feels as bad in Perth that it does in Melbourne.

Perth has days hover around 30-35 for days and chuck in a few 40's.

Melbourne has days around 24-27, chuck in maybe one 40 a year.

Point: You acclimatise in Perth far more than in Melbourne. ie; 40 feels hotter in Melbourne.

This summer was the worst in living memory.

Summer 08/09 was the worst I can recall. I still have nightmares from that summer. I think it hit 48 and 46 one week. Bloody brutal.

And yes, the weather here in Melbourne has always been unpredictably crap. Typically overcast, wet, and humid. You learn to live with it.

policegetthatman

Club Legend
Suspended
Feb 1, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
46.4 was the max for Melbourne for that summer and the all time hottest day.

48 at Avalon airport the same day.

TooFar

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Les_Canadiens Philadelphia_Eagles

I don't understand why you're whinging about it, man. It's not like there's a dial somewhere and we can control it.

Do the citizens of Montreal complain about the GP with the same intensity as we do?

1) The heat doesn’t feel so bad in Perth because it is constantly hot. You get use to it. Melbourne’s weather has no consistency so when it does get hot, it feel oppressive.

2) I felt like whinging, because Melbournites are always raving how great the city is and how rubbish Adelaide is. But now that I’m living in Melbourne I feel the place is overrated.

3) A few people did, but on the whole the city loved and fully embraced the race. A few reasons for that, the race track is on a manmade island in the middle of a very wide river, so it is a long way from the residential population. Also, The Montreal race has been the only regular stop in North America for F1’s so there was a multitude of American and European tourist that came for the race, they came in very large numbers. It kicks of the summer festival season in Montreal nicely.

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Perth has days hover around 30-35 for days and chuck in a few 40's.

Melbourne has days around 24-27, chuck in maybe one 40 a year.

Point: You acclimatise in Perth far more than in Melbourne. ie; 40 feels hotter in Melbourne.
1) The heat doesn’t feel so bad in Perth because it is constantly hot. You get use to it. Melbourne’s weather has no consistency so when it does get hot, it feel oppressive.
Nah guys, even coming from Melbourne, the heat doesn't feel as bad over there. I could be in Perth one day at 35, the next in Melbourne, also at 35. The heat at Perth will feel more comfortable.

2) I felt like whinging, because Melbournites are always raving how great the city is and how rubbish Adelaide is. But now that I’m living in Melbourne I feel the place is overrated.
Let me make you feel a bit better by stating that, when us Melbournians talk up our city, it is not said in the context of it actually being better(some parts may be though). Rather, it is said in the context of our own inflated, collective ego's. You should just humour us. I've lived here my whole life, won't bother defending any knowitalls you may've come across.

The insight about the Montreal GP was good.

policegetthatman

Club Legend
Suspended
Feb 1, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There is no other reason why Melbourne heat (35+) would feel warmer. The humidity is always very low when it does get that hot in Melbourne. Likewise Perth.
Must by psychological.

There is no other reason why Melbourne heat (35+) would feel warmer. The humidity is always very low when it does get that hot in Melbourne. Likewise Perth.
Must by psychological.

Correct, poster above you is an idiot.

This summer was stupidly humid in perth though.

Wtf is this, d*******?

You are wrong when you say Perths 35C days "feel" hotter than Melbournes.

This would be the case if melbourne had high relative humidity, but it doesn't.

A dry hot day does not feel as bad as a wet hot day.

So ********, you are wrong, or dont know what you are talking about, or you have compared two different condition days that are exceptions to the norm.

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
You are wrong when you say Perths 35C days "feel" hotter than Melbournes.
You took that as I think it feels hotter for everyone? I was talking only from my own experience.

So ********, you are wrong, or dont know what you are talking about, or you have compared two different condition days that are exceptions to the norm.
You could've asked why I came up with what I posted or just written the bolded. But no, too much for you, hey?

You get the Doctor in Perth. In Melbourne, a hot day often means a hot night.

We dont always get the breeze.

And anything over 24 at night is uncomfortable usually, no matter where you are.

But still, 35 degrees and 60% humidity feels the same, no matter where you are in the world. Anyone that thinks its different is delusional or stupid.

When the breeze comes in, sure the temperature drops, but it is then no longer 35C.

Or is the comment of "difference" one based on "weather forecast" temperature, rather than actual temperature measured at the time? If so, thats even more stupid.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just saying, a 40 degree day in Melbourne is usually scorching all arvo into the evening. On a 40 degree day in Perth you usually get some respite after lunch with the breeze.

Perth has hot nights, sure, but on a hot day I'd rather be in Perth than Melbourne when the sun starts to go down.

Just saying, a 40 degree day in Melbourne is usually scorching all arvo into the evening. On a 40 degree day in Perth you usually get some respite after lunch with the breeze.

Perth has hot nights, sure, but on a hot day I'd rather be in Perth than Melbourne when the sun starts to go down.

So the temperature has changed, of course different temperatures feel different.

You should learn to ignore forecasts, they are flawed and are not " the temperature ".

For example, when its 40 in perth, not the forecast, but the exact temperature at a given minute, and then the wind stops, ive watched the temp rise to 48, then the sea breeze comes in 2 minutes later it drops to 33. This does not mean that 40 feels cooler, it means the temperature has changed. How people feel is irrelevant.

Temperature is universal when relative humidity is the same.

Fyi i get paid to know this s**t.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think you're missing the point. Thread is about why the heat is less bearable in Melbourne than Perth. Part of that is because the hot days unfold differently. That's all I'm saying.

Nobody is saying that a degree is a different unit of measurement in WA.

Jaysus! LOL! There I was, innocently posting away a couple of days ago and I end up taking on Sheldon, from the Big Bang Theory!

Wtf im not an assburger.

Like i said, i get paid to understand temperatures, and deal with people like you that have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to this subject.

I wouldnt have got all anal if you didnt call me a d*******.

But what you said was still wrong.

I think you're missing the point. Thread is about why the heat is less bearable in Melbourne than Perth. Part of that is because the hot days unfold differently. That's all I'm saying.

Nobody is saying that a degree is a different unit of measurement in WA.

I understand that.

Ive not been in victoria when its been 35 plus. Imo 35 is bearable anywhere, as long as your AC is working. :)

policegetthatman

Club Legend
Suspended
Feb 1, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Also another factor to consider is temperatures warm up much faster in Perth during the morning of hot days than Melbourne. This has to do with the proximity to the trough line and arrival of the sea breeze.

Perth would hit 35c at 10:30am, then 40c at 2pm and then cool down.
Melbourne would typically hit 35 at midday and then 40c at 4:30pm.

Just a trend I've noticed over the years. Wish I got paid to know this.
/weather nerd.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
Wtf im not an assburger.

Like i said, i get paid to understand temperatures, and deal with people like you that have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to this subject.

I wouldnt have got all anal if you didnt call me a d*******.

But what you said was still wrong.

Temperature is the rate at which particles move down at the molecular level.

fast = hot
slow = cold

Back