CHFL 2012 preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

I've also heard former bomber Andrew Welsh to Ballan????? Can anyone confirm that? Well done to Ballan..... They have a very young list except for the old fart Wattsy..... So hopefully they can learn a bit from these type of players.....

Have they got some good looking netballers out there or something?? Or a gold mine? If what you say is true, however they are doing it, they are doing a great job. Players like that bring a lot more to a club than just playing ability, especially to a young list.

Also reported in the paper today that Anthony Kitchen from Werribee Centrals has gone to Ballan. Kicked close to a ton in Geelong 2 seasons ago. Getting on a bit but is still a handy footballer. Williams Kitchen Watts makes a pretty dangerous forward line, but they still need somebody to win the footy and get it down there. Maybe that's where Welsh comes in?

Big recruiting coup for the leauge, no doubt... But are we all forgetting Williams' cronic knee problems? The guy's body is a rabble, I hope he plays games for Ballan, but I don't really see it happening...
Saying that, he looked fit enough in the photo in the paper, so I could be wrong. Just hope his not the type to go walk-about.

Go walkabout eh? Why? The not so subtle racist undertones of the last 2 posts have really dragged this forum into the gutter. Not surprising that the sites worst gutless yellow back in bombers1983 is involved.

I've also heard former bomber Andrew Welsh to Ballan????? Can anyone confirm that? Well done to Ballan..... They have a very young list except for the old fart Wattsy..... So hopefully they can learn a bit from these type of players.....

i can confirm welshy is not playing at ballan ,his coming to the club 1st selection nite for jumper presentation ..:thumbsu:

Hit the nail on the head here mate... Plenty of clubs are doing exactly that. Beaufort, Newlyn, Springbank are the main ones apart from the usual Hepburn money train.

The first 3 clubs inparticular are bringing in all these BFL type players, filling up their pockets, pissing off the local/loyal players that have been there for years and they are leaving... Most of these blokes have one foot out the retirement door or will leave after a year, 2 max.

Bungaree, Learmonth and maybe Creswick are 2 teams bucking the trend, giving opportunities to talented juniors. Both should field 6-7 u18 players from last year in their Senior team at one stage or another.. There might be a couple of other teams in this category, clearly CL have no choice but to play juniors.

Who are the locals leaving? Do you actually know any names or have you heard a rumour or just assuming that is what's happening?

2000$ for anyone who can out helmut. But here is a few clues. I am premiership player played over 150 games for my club. My footy resume would be 10x better then yours.

Premiership seconds player more to the point as no self respecting club would pick a second hand person in their team.
Your club must be so proud of your brain dead remarks which at times are boardering on racism.

I reckon you'd better stay behind a computer because when your given up by a supposed mate there will be people lining up to take Helmets $1000 offer.

Remember you can run .... But can you keep hiding?

Go walkabout eh? Why? The not so subtle racist undertones of the last 2 posts have really dragged this forum into the gutter. Not surprising that the sites worst gutless yellow back in bombers1983 is involved.

Why ask why, if you've already made up your mind?? Your the peanut who took my comment to an inclination of racism.. I've seen plenty of blokes sign a contract and disappear.. Typical over sensitive socialite. Harden up for christ sake.
I'm really glad to see his quotes regarding wanting to stick around for longer! Good on him, hope it happens.

Why ask why, if you've already made up your mind?? Your the peanut who took my comment to an inclination of racism.. I've seen plenty of blokes sign a contract and disappear.. Typical over sensitive socialite. Harden up for christ sake.
I'm really glad to see his quotes regarding wanting to stick around for longer! Good on him, hope it happens.

If you want to talk about peanuts have a look in the mirror. Indigenous footballers have put up with your type of s**t for decades. If the guy was white or lebonese italian whatever you wouldnt have used the term walkabout and you know it. There have been plenty of talk of other recruits to clubs but you dont have concerns about any of them going walkabout. If you are comfortable with what you said go for a drive to ballan or wherever they play round 1 and say it to his face.

Quick question. We have a guy in our little metropolitian league by the name of Paul Fermanis, who is kind of a big thing down here. He got cleared to Bungaree but wanted a clearance back to his original club, but has been denied twice. Is it because he signed a contract, has money already changed hands or is it just a paperwork issue?

Can anyone from Bungaree confirm?

Round 1 is not to far away..........how about some tips ......i`ll go as follows:

Dunnstown vs Beaufort.....Beaufort by 16 points
Clunes vs Rokewood.........Clunes by 44 points
Daylesford vs Gordon........Daylesford by 29 points
Learmonth vs Hepburn.......Hepburn by 63 points
Carngham vs illabrook........Illabrook by 1 point
Newlyn vs Creswick...........Newlyn by 22 points
Skipton vs Bungaree..........Bungaree by 45 points
Springbank vs Bunninyong...Bunninyong by 6 points
Waubra vs Ballan...............Waubra by 25 points

Just a guess but see how it goes.........anyone else ?

Hit the nail on the head here mate... Plenty of clubs are doing exactly that. Beaufort, Newlyn, Springbank are the main ones apart from the usual Hepburn money train.

The first 3 clubs inparticular are bringing in all these BFL type players, filling up their pockets, pissing off the local/loyal players that have been there for years and they are leaving... Most of these blokes have one foot out the retirement door or will leave after a year, 2 max.

Bungaree, Learmonth and maybe Creswick are 2 teams bucking the trend, giving opportunities to talented juniors. Both should field 6-7 u18 players from last year in their Senior team at one stage or another.. There might be a couple of other teams in this category, clearly CL have no choice but to play juniors.

What a crock... The talk about two division's for the league is tiresome. In my opinion the league has gone from strength to strength since the amalgamation with the LPFL. I would think the fact that alot of players are leaving the BFL to play CHFL is a great sign for the strength of the league as it lifts the standard of football, increases numbers through the gates and creates greater interest across the board from the wider community. Well run clubs with a good board will maintain new players whereas, Poorly run clubs won't, and will continue to get belted in a two division comp. They might notch up a couple more wins, but at the end of the day, someone always has to finish bottom, that is the nature of sport.

Gordon should be used as an example of a club who seem to be heading in the right direction after years on the bottom. Have recruited a fair few bfl players but they are hanging around. Would be hoping to be in finals contention this year I would have thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a crock... The talk about two division's for the league is tiresome. In my opinion the league has gone from strength to strength since the amalgamation with the LPFL. I would think the fact that alot of players are leaving the BFL to play CHFL is a great sign for the strength of the league as it lifts the standard of football, increases numbers through the gates and creates greater interest across the board from the wider community. Well run clubs with a good board will maintain new players whereas, Poorly run clubs won't, and will continue to get belted in a two division comp. They might notch up a couple more wins, but at the end of the day, someone always has to finish bottom, that is the nature of sport.

Gordon should be used as an example of a club who seem to be heading in the right direction after years on the bottom. Have recruited a fair few bfl players but they are hanging around. Would be hoping to be in finals contention this year I would have thought.

How can a league be going from strength to strength after not changing from last year?...
I don't wanna start a flame war.... But Hepburn playing Illabrook is not good for footy! A div2 would still be a league of have's and have not's.... But to a much lesser extent.... I agree that Gordon is a good example.... but is it sustainable?
Really, that is the true question.

p.s... No offence intended to Illabrook.....

If you want to talk about peanuts have a look in the mirror. Indigenous footballers have put up with your type of s**t for decades. If the guy was white or lebonese italian whatever you wouldnt have used the term walkabout and you know it. There have been plenty of talk of other recruits to clubs but you dont have concerns about any of them going walkabout. If you are comfortable with what you said go for a drive to ballan or wherever they play round 1 and say it to his face.

U seem to have a lot of pent up aggression.... But I wont pretend to know how you think, like you are doing me the pleasure of assuming my set of values. (Altho I think you are being very ridiculous and incredibley stupid).
I would use the term walkabout to describe the fate of a few other recruits so far this year in this leauge for your information. Catch up, its 2012. Deal with it.

How can a league be going from strength to strength after not changing from last year?...
I don't wanna start a flame war.... But Hepburn playing Illabrook is not good for footy! A div2 would still be a league of have's and have not's.... But to a much lesser extent.... I agree that Gordon is a good example.... but is it sustainable?
Really, that is the true question.

p.s... No offence intended to Illabrook.....

Ok, well let's divide the league into two, based on the fact that one team (illabarook) get belted by Hepburn once a year!? I can assure you the standard of the league will be stronger this year on the back of the influx of BFL players and young kids wanting to stay at clubs in a strong league. Good clubs will hold onto juniors as well as maintain recruits. If I were an up and coming junior, would I want to play seniors in a second division, second rate league or a league where I can pit myself against some of the better players in the Ballarat District. The gap between the top sides and mid range sides will be closed this year, with Beaufort, Newlyn, Springbank, Bungaree and Gordon all on the improve. Proof is in the pudding I guess, but if it ain't broke, why fix it.

Premiership seconds player more to the point as no self respecting club would pick a second hand person in their team.
Your club must be so proud of your brain dead remarks which at times are boardering on racism.

I reckon you'd better stay behind a computer because when your given up by a supposed mate there will be people lining up to take Helmets $1000 offer.

Remember you can run .... But can you keep hiding?

What racist thing has bombers83 said? I can't find one anywhere??

And Anyone asking for someone to be outed without outing themselves is a deadset hypocritical flog. But probably too stupid to see that though.

A positive move for ballan though it would seem, but like all things football time will tell the real story not the hype. I do reckon Williams will tear up some opposition though. Will be good viewing at times.

Dunnstown vs Beaufort.....Beaufort by 46 points - Dunnstown havce a few missing I think and are probably one of the only sides that havent appeared to have improved over the pre-season. Beaufort look like they will improve at least a little and be in the running for a top 4 spot so should comfortably account for Dunnstown imo.

Clunes vs Rokewood.........Clunes by 8 goals - Should be able to account for the hoppers i think

Daylesford vs Gordon........Daylesford by less than a kick. Was a ripper game last year and whilst i think that this will finally be the Doggies year to slide (i have said that the last two years though!) I reckon they'll sneak home here in what should be a classic.

Learmonth vs Hepburn.......Hepburn by 13 goals. Be an interesting guage to see where both sides are at but the match is probably a foregone conclusion.

Carngham vs illabarook........Illabarook by the the narrowest of margins. They are apparantly up and about out at the kennell this year and whilst they won't be fooling anyone that they will be any good, this could be an early clash for the Wooden Spoon.

Newlyn vs Creswick...........Newlyn by 4 goals. Very interesting one and one that will be difficult to take much out of either way unless its a blowout. Both look vastly improved but Newlyn have the high profile recruits and should do the job.

Skipton vs Bungaree..........Bungaree

Springbank vs Buninyong... Probably game of the round. It will be a big test for the Tigers first up and will probably give a fair indication early of whether they are finalists or not. Margin will be very interesting here. Buninyong by 4 goals.

Waubra vs Ballan...............Waubra by 8 goals - Ballan have put together a pretty handy forward line over summer but will need a MASSIVE lift in the midfield and defence if they are going to contend for a top 8 spot this year. Waubra still the team to beat for mine so should still be comfortable winners

Ok, well let's divide the league into two, based on the fact that one team (illabarook) get belted by Hepburn once a year!? I can assure you the standard of the league will be stronger this year on the back of the influx of BFL players and young kids wanting to stay at clubs in a strong league. Good clubs will hold onto juniors as well as maintain recruits. If I were an up and coming junior, would I want to play seniors in a second division, second rate league or a league where I can pit myself against some of the better players in the Ballarat District. The gap between the top sides and mid range sides will be closed this year, with Beaufort, Newlyn, Springbank, Bungaree and Gordon all on the improve. Proof is in the pudding I guess, but if it ain't broke, why fix it.

Let's hope your right..... Like I asked earlier can those clubs you mentioned sustain the level of spending just to be competitive? The bottom 3 sides all copped some massive hidings so singling out Hepburn and Illabrook may not have been ideal. I was hoping you would get my point....

What racist thing has bombers83 said? I can't find one anywhere??

And Anyone asking for someone to be outed without outing themselves is a deadset hypocritical flog. But probably too stupid to see that though.

A positive move for ballan though it would seem, but like all things football time will tell the real story not the hype. I do reckon Williams will tear up some opposition though. Will be good viewing at times.

You wont find the post because its been deleted.

Hopefully with the story in today's courier about the CHFL format remaining the same we won't have to worry about any more talk regarding splitting the competition into 2 groups.

Hopefully with the story in today's courier about the CHFL format remaining the same we won't have to worry about any more talk regarding splitting the competition into 2 groups.

That's really good to hear.

As for my tips;

Dunnstown vs Beaufort.....Beaufort by 30 points; Dunnstown don't appear to have been too active, so will slide down the ladder a few notches this year, with other teams improving.

Clunes vs Rokewood.........Clunes by 50 points; Think Clunes will be there abouts this year. Will be hoping to make finals I would think with a few recruits. Trivia Time, how many clubs has Jason Hill played for? (i don't know the answer)

Daylesford vs Gordon........Gordon by 8 points; Daylesford will be too slow to be a major threat this year surely. Will be happy when the weather is wet and grounds deteriorate. Gordon to get their season off to a flyer.

Learmonth vs Hepburn.......Hepburn by 90 points; Burras to account for Learmonth comfortably.

Carngham vs illabrook........Cargnham by 20 points; Fans of the UFC will be the winners at this clash.

Newlyn vs Creswick...........Newlyn by 40 points; Newlyn were ok in patches last year, but with their new recruits, I can see them doing some damage this year. Have heard creswick are looking ok, but will struggle to overcome the cats at home.

Skipton vs Bungaree..........Bungaree by 30 points; Bunga should get over the line fairly easily. Have got a fair bit of depth this year and should be playing finals football.

Springbank vs Bunninyong...Bunninyong by 42 points; with the amount of recruiting these two clubs have done, this is a massive test. Apparently knowles has been in a good paddock, and the only exercise he does is walking from the fridge to the couch (oh and to collect his envelope of cash). Fair amount of Pressure on Gilbert this year I'd imagine...

Waubra vs Ballan...............Waubra by 70 points; Ballan will take a while to adjust. Not sure what type of playing role Williams will have, as I was under the impression his body was cooked at the dons. Would still take a handy defender to stop him on one leg. Have heard Waubra will be fit and firing rnd 1.

1st Round is just around the corner- Let's have a few ppl have a few estimations to create a bit of interest.

IN PREMIERSHIP CONTENTION: (Name 3 teams & why)

LIKELY TO SLIDE: ( Name 2 teams & why)

LEADING GOAL KICKER:

LEAGUE MEDAL:

RISING STAR TO WATCH:

HOW YOU THINK THE INTERLEAGUE TEAM WILL FARE & WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RETURN TO INTERLEAGUE:

1st Round is just around the corner- Let's have a few ppl have a few estimations to create a bit of interest.

IN PREMIERSHIP CONTENTION: (Name 3 teams & why)

LIKELY TO SLIDE: ( Name 2 teams & why)

LEADING GOAL KICKER:

LEAGUE MEDAL:

RISING STAR TO WATCH:

HOW YOU THINK THE INTERLEAGUE TEAM WILL FARE & WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RETURN TO INTERLEAGUE:

Always hard to do this time of year but definately interesting to see everyones thoughts. I'll give it a crack knowing that it could be well wide of the mark as you never know what the new players to the comp (especially those from outside Ballarat) are going to bring until they put it out there.

IN PREMIERSHIP CONTENTION:
Waubra - will remain strong, lost a coouple of senior players but having won all 3 grades last year obviously with that depth their is capable players ready to step up

Hepburn - Only going on their history and knowing they wont be happy with not having gone further last year having finished on top. Depth could be a problem for them if they get a few injuries as rumors have it their numbers for the new coach havent been great. New ideas from the new coach plus the pick ups they supposedly have got could make them very dangerous again. Interesting to see

Newlyn - Just to mix it up a bit!! Definately one to watch though. The pickups they have from the Ballarat comp, notebly the multiple premiership players, will hold them in good stead. Only issue is I believe they are mid field/on ballers and haven't really added to the attack or defence which were achilles heals for them. This may not matter if the onball brigade dominate as if they get it in the forward line enough times, law of averages say they will score, especially given the mids will probably score their fair share.

Being restricted to 3 sides makes it hard as Buninyong will no doubt be up there again and I don't think Daylesford will slide as much as some are suggesting, they have shown you can never write them off. Hard to narrow it down to three as with the influx of quality players across a number of sides it will definately be a much more competitive season and a tight result here and there could go any way.

LIKELY TO SLIDE:
Gordon - Putting them up reluctantly as they are definately much improved with a youthful and skillful list and I think they will continue to improve. Having said that, opposition sides will not take them lightly and will surely put in more planning when coming up against them. Lack of some bigger bodies, up forward, could hurt them.
(To be honest think there will be other sides that were competitive last year at times that will slide more i.e Carnham/Skipton/Dunnstown, but I've put Gordon up as they would definatley be looking to continue to rise but might find it a bit harder this year.)
Dunnstown - Uneducated opinion this one, but doesn't appear that they have picked up much if any and they needed to add probably 4-5 quality players to help them step up.

LEADING GOAL KICKER: Lee Cox - Takes a good player to slow him down and not enough teams have blokes capable of doing it. Will be dependant on how many opportunities he gets but think he will do it relatively easy. Only danger to him is big Browny.

LEAGUE MEDAL: Michael Cummings (Daylesford) - Don't know how he didn't last year. If he gets through injury free and can handle the extra attention he will no doubt get from taggers, he will be a fair show.
Nathan Bromely (Newlyn) - Quality player coming to the comp should stand out also and expect him to get his fair share of votes.

RISING STAR TO WATCH: No doubt Waubra will have a few coming out of their u18 premiership side that will step up. Last years rookie of the year Shewell should only develop further.

HOW YOU THINK THE INTERLEAGUE TEAM WILL FARE & WHAT YOU THINK OF THE RETURN TO INTERLEAGUE: Will depend on how many of the best players make themselves available and commit to it. The best 22 from the comp would be a very strong side capable of being competitive against supposedly stronger 'major' leagues. Only issue with getting the strongest side out there is getting the better players who have achieved higher footballing honours, motivated. Is definately a great idea and opportunity for developing and promising players to be recognised and show their wares. Don't know much about the other comp but think CHFL should be able to take care of them pretty well.

Yes it is all opinion only and i have gone with some 'safer' options. The best part about the start of the new season is seeing how everyone has travelled and improved. Im sure there will be improvement across the comp which will make for an interesting season and keep most guessing as to who will be the sides to beat come Sept.

And yes I had too much time on my hands today!

Cummings has joined Bendigo Bombers from what I've heard and will not likely play a part with the Dogs this year. Anyone shed some light on how he is going up there??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back