Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The scoreboard is part of what makes the adelaide oval so great that would ruin the oval if they removed it
Agreed. It's not an eyesore (in fact, it's quite the opposite), and it still has use at the ground - particularly in cricket season (and don't forget this redevelopment is for both football and cricket).

The only issue with the scoreboard is those in the eastern stands may struggle to see it, but I assume the extra video screens that will be installed will also have the scores on there anyway.

I wonder if, and it would not surprise me, if the Hill will be a dry zone.

I can't imagine in this day and age of the AFL being akin to a "nanny state" that they will want people standing in such a large area that is in sight of TV cameras and have people drinking to excess.

If they do, they may as well put seats there.

They will split it up like they do now, half family dry zone, half typical hill

I wonder if, and it would not surprise me, if the Hill will be a dry zone.

I can't imagine in this day and age of the AFL being akin to a "nanny state" that they will want people standing in such a large area that is in sight of TV cameras and have people drinking to excess.

If they do, they may as well put seats there.
lol are you kidding? It will remain the same as it is now. How do you expect the hill to be a dry zone when just 2 metres back from it is a bar under the scoreboard!

lol are you kidding? It will remain the same as it is now. How do you expect the hill to be a dry zone when just 2 metres back from it is a bar under the scoreboard!

Dunno, it does sound ridiculous. BUT the SANFL will control AO during footy season, and they are the ones that make us have cup lids and no standing with beers at Footy Park now.

Agreed. It's not an eyesore (in fact, it's quite the opposite), and it still has use at the ground - particularly in cricket season (and don't forget this redevelopment is for both football and cricket).

The only issue with the scoreboard is those in the eastern stands may struggle to see it, but I assume the extra video screens that will be installed will also have the scores on there anyway.

it appears there'll be 3 screens.

1 above the hill

1 east and west of the southern stand.

they should show different stuff on each screen just for fun.

Dunno, it does sound ridiculous. BUT the SANFL will control AO during footy season, and they are the ones that make us have cup lids and no standing with beers at Footy Park now.
I have a feeling they will leave this one alone. The Port v Melbourne clash was a what to expect in 2014 for footy on the hill and from what I heard/saw there wasn't any fights in the crowd etc. Might be different when there are more opposition supporters at the game though i.e. Carlton, Collingwood. Showdowns will be interesting ;)

I have a feeling they will leave this one alone. The Port v Melbourne clash was a what to expect in 2014 for footy on the hill and from what I heard/saw there wasn't any fights in the crowd etc. Might be different when there are more opposition supporters at the game though i.e. Carlton, Collingwood. Showdowns will be interesting ;)

I hope so.

But the SANFL have no say in how Adelaide Oval is ran at the moment. It was a SACA event. Under the SMA guise they will.

Got to love the little yellow boxes they now make you stand in if you prefer to stand over sitting. As many of us who have seats in row Z do, and have a seat there for that reason. Our wives sit and we stood behind them. That has changed now.

I hope so.

Got to love the little yellow boxes they now make you stand in if you prefer to stand over sitting. As many of us who have seats in row Z do, and have a seat there for that reason. Our wives sit and we stood behind them. That has changed now.
Are you talking about the new western grandstand at Adelaide Oval for the standing room? Or AAMI?

On another note, are you, or anyone else aware if the north to south ground dimensions will be changing? Or if they are bringing the northern seats closer to the ground? Looks like they are doing something with that surely on these photos from the Power's flickr page. http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6038/newsid/132477/default.aspx

Lil yellow boxes that are behind the last row of seats at Footy Park where you have to stand now if you like standing. They are behind each Bay in the outer (Non SANFL members) area at Footy Park.

AO certainly looks a different shape in that pic.
Ahhk I'm never in the outer. Always in the western grandstand at AAMI. The eastern wing at Adelaide Oval will also be widened to create a more oval shape, and with the ground already being the longest in Australia, it's going to have a pretty large playing surface.

I tend to agree the scoreboard is outdated and should be removed from the hill. I would like to see it in front of the current Victor Richardson gates facing King William St. promoting the upcoming games. With all the traffic going past it would add to the anticipation leading up to the weekend.

Getting rid of the scoreboard - are you serious??? This is blasphemy to cricket tragics. Its a global icon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting rid of the scoreboard - are you serious??? This is blasphemy to cricket tragics. Its a global icon.
The old scoreboard would only ever go if further redevelopment were to go ahead i.e. a new grandstand at the northern end. Won't happen for at least another 20 years - if ever.

Well said - and agree totally with this.

Not only that - the scoreboard is not outdated as a cricket scoreboard. Provides far more information than any electronic scoreboard (that has to juggle both scores and replays) can ever provide.

Just because it's not electronic doesn't make it outdated.

Yep. Plenty of Western Australians know about the scoreboard. To most of this ignorant state, the bogans wouldn't know much else about Adelaide Oval. Keep it.

What do Western Australians have to do with the AO scoreboard? WTF :confused:
I believe he's referring to the WACA scoreboard and that West Australians know what it's like to be one of the few remaining stadia with an old style cricket scoreboard.

An un-electronic scoreboard is next to useless during one-day/T20 cricket, with its inability to provide up to date run-rates.

I say move it to Glenelg Oval, but it's not gonna happen for decades. If ever.

I think some kids are forgetting Adelaide Oval is primarily a cricket venue and football hast to respect that.

I think some kids are forgetting Adelaide Oval is primarily a cricket venue and football hast to respect that.

I think this 200 million dollar odd upgrade is changing that, if they wanted a general all round stadium they would've made one with a roof where the hospital is going now but they chose to make that venue Adelaide oval

No it will not be primarily a cricket venue, it will be a sports stadium after the upgrade with cricket be the primary sport for six months and football being the primary sport for th other six months.

This. It's not a cricket stadium being leased out to Football, it's a sports stadium that shares its time between footy and cricket. Much prefer this setup to Melbourne and Sydney's structure where cricket gets top priority and football (which brings in more patrons than cricket) is merely a tenant.

I think this 200 million dollar odd upgrade is changing that, if they wanted a general all round stadium they would've made one with a roof where the hospital is going now but they chose to make that venue Adelaide oval

Given Sheffield Shield and State 50 over games are to be played at Brighton Oval, it is turning into a Footy ground with the occasional Test Match ODI and T20 match being played there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back