Juddbemetron

All Australian
Sep 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Storm
Raised yesterday in channel 7's broadcast of the game.

Who is the best midfield combination out of these 3?

For me
1. Pendelbury
2. Murphy
3. Judd
4. Selwood
5. Swan
6. Bartel

Therefore the best combination would be Murphy and Judd. (Bias, I Know)

Pendlebury
Murphy
Judd/Swan
Selwood
Bartel

You could really switch the top 4 in any order though to be honest.

Bartel always gets dragged into these comparisons because he's so overrated. He's the odd one out here.
Averages 23.1 touches per game, 5.6 marks per game, 4.3 tackles per game over his career, has won a Brownlow and a Norm Smith, and he's overrated :confused:. If he was at Hawthorn instead of Geelong you'd be saying he's one of the best players in the AFL.

Pendlebury and Swan. One is the reigning Brownlow Medallist and the other is the best player in the AFL

Averages 23.1 touches per game, 5.6 marks per game, 4.3 tackles per game over his career, has won a Brownlow and a Norm Smith, and he's overrated :confused:. If he was at Hawthorn instead of Geelong you'd be saying he's one of the best players in the AFL.

Pendlebury and Swan. One is the reigning Brownlow Medallist and the other is the best player in the AFL
None of those stats compare to the others, he is a class below them, if it was still Ablett, Selwood they would be so far in front of the others in this poll its not funny.

Averages 23.1 touches per game, 5.6 marks per game, 4.3 tackles per game over his career, has won a Brownlow and a Norm Smith, and he's overrated :confused:.

He's the most overrated player in the comp, simple stats like possessions and marks don't change that. We're talking about a player who didn't make the AA squad of 40, there's no reason to have him in a discussion of the best midfielders in the game unless he's extraordinarily overrated.

Which he is.

Pendelbury is the best individual and Swan is coming off a brownlow, I'll go with the Collingwood pair. I'm liking the signs of Murphy this season though, his really showing why he was taken at #1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's the most overrated player in the comp, simple stats like possessions and marks don't change that. We're talking about a player who didn't make the AA squad of 40, there's no reason to have him in a discussion of the best midfielders in the game unless he's extraordinarily overrated.

Which he is.

The most overrated Player in the comp demolishes the hawks everytime he plays them.

a player who has a charlie and norm.

You can get cream for that offended.

Which he is.

Agree here. His GF was great, but over the year he was way behind guys like Thompson, Watson, Boyd, Dal Santo, Goodes etc. And streets behind Pendles, Ablett, Judd, Murphy, Selwood, Mitchell, Swan.

Voted Murphy/Judd.

I just think Murphy is a really special player. I can see him overtaking Pendles as the best player in the comp this year. I also rate Judd ahead of Swan (doubly so going forward if 2/2 interchange comes in). Selwood and Bartel are a fair bit behind I reckon.

Agree here. His GF was great, but over the year he was way behind guys like Thompson, Watson, Boyd, Dal Santo, Goodes etc. And streets behind Pendles, Ablett, Judd, Murphy, Selwood, Mitchell, Swan.

Maybe that had more to do with the fact he rarely played solely as a midfielder last year. More often than not he was playing across either half back, half forward or on the wing.

James Kelly or Joel Corey would've been better to name alongside Selwood in the poll. Kelly averaged 24 possessions (10 contested), 4 clearances and 7 tackles a game, while Corey averaged 25 possessions (11 contested), 4 clearances and 4 tackles a game, compared to Bartel's 22 possessions (9 contested), 2 clearances and 4 tackles a game.

Which he is.
So he misses an All Australian squad so therefore is overrated? Watson missed the squad, does that mean he's overrated? The OP may have overrated him a bit, but there's no doubt he's an elite midfielder
He would be the best player at Essendon. He's as good as Thompson, Boyd and Dal Santo. I think you're underrating Goodes- 2 brownlows and a superstar of the comp. Mitchell is probably the group before.

One of the key features of Bartel is that he's a great clutch player, you know what you're going to get from him week in, week out even if he doesn't have the talent or the potential as some of the more gifted mids going around.

Judd and Murphy are the best two at the moment but Pendelbury is better than both and Selwood better than Murph

so
1.Pendles
2. Judd
3. Selwood
4. Murph
5. Bartel and Swan

In my opinion these are the AFL's first class mids (in no particular order)

Judd
Murphy
Pendelbury
Selwood
Mitchell
Ablett

Under them are (in no particular order)
Watson
Fyfe
Bartel
Swan
Boyd
Dal Santo
Thomas
Thompson
A. Swallow
Black
Griffen
Priddis

there are probably more

Wow I can't believe this poll! Also cannot believe people are calling Bartel an overrated player. He probably doesn't have as big of a Home and away season but he steps up for the big games. Would take a big game player like that over the others.

Selwood and Bartel please....

No coincedince that only 1 of these combos has 3 flags and another grand final appearance...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back