Brownlow Medallist
Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks
Re: Labor MP accused of rorting union credit

By putting information out there that has not actually been proven formally did occur (as in be tested in the legal system) and using that information as abasis to attack a person.

Not illegal. You can attack politicians without proving anything in Court.

We all know about injunctions - remember Channel 7 obtaining that information about the players at Hawthorn and drug use (yes that one!!). Injunction was obtained by Hawthorn and the AFL and despite people knowing about it, the information has not been made public.

Thomson is well within his rights to seek an injunction against the Liberal Party should it put this information into an attack ad using the same principle.

Completely different principle regarding rights to medical privacy.

Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon

Perhaps it is now best for all concerned if we all just move on.

I'm surprised at the stance you have taken, given the fact that you make no secret of the fact that you are a union man.

It is not in doubt that union members money was used in brothels (unless those "restaurants" were actually restaurants). And after a farce of an investigation that at this stage has neither proven or disproven anything, you think it is "best" for everybody to move on?

Whether the above was legal or illegal, the person used that credit card on that night should be tarred, feathered and strung by the balls from the highest flagpole on the roof of Trades Hall. They are a disgrace to the union movement and it is in the best interest of all concerned that they be identified and cop their right whack.

tazzietiger

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
The senate committable should pressure them to release it publicly.

Fair Work Australia says it will release its report into the Health Services Union but not for at least a month.

The 1,100-page report found 181 breaches of the rules and will be released to a Senate committee, but not for up to six weeks because it is still considering whether to take the matter to the Federal Court.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-05/fair-work-to-release-hsu-report/3936170

Subprime

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2007
Ether
AFL Club
Collingwood
So they haven't considered the option of taking the matter to the Federal Court in the last ~3 years?

Or they have but they need more time?

Not sure which is worse.

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So they haven't considered the option of taking the matter to the Federal Court in the last ~3 years?

Or they have but they need more time?

Not sure which is worse.

But what issue would they be taking to the Federal Court?

ALP fanbois are staying well clear of this thread now. Even they can smell a big govt s**t.

As an aside, isn't it curious that t_urd is in the swear filter, and s**t isn't?

Subprime

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2007
Ether
AFL Club
Collingwood
But what issue would they be taking to the Federal Court?

ALP fanbois are staying well clear of this thread now. Even they can smell a big govt s**t.

As an aside, isn't it curious that t_urd is in the swear filter, and s**t isn't?

Might test it with a bit of Edward I ...

A man does good business when he rids himself of a ****.

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
FAIR Work Australia has agreed to release the report of its investigation into the Health Service Union's national office...

The FWA report will not be tabled in the Senate until FWA general manager Bernadette O'Neill has finished considering which of 181 contraventions of workplace laws found by investigators should be taken to the Federal Court for civil action.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...temic-misconduct/story-fn59niix-1226319824250

And according to Lateline the Vic and NSW cops will get access to it too.

Contra Mundum

To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC

Unless she gets out of there toot suite Bernadette O'neill is up for another grilling and Senate Estimates.

FWA = F&*$ing Worthless Agency?

Regards

S. Pete

She has only been the General Manager for a month boys so calm down - as I say Tim Lee (who the Government has made a Commissioner now) is the one to whom the delay should sheeted home too

GuruJane

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts RIP
Feb 18, 2003
home of the mighty sa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Tottenham

She has only been the General Manager for a month boys so calm down -

My query about O'Neil is -

she appears before estimates and one thinks "a woman who sounds like she'll sort it out pronto"

following which....like, as soon as she's out the door ..

Announces report won't be made public ..

Announces FWA will not co-operate with NSW and Vic police

Releases report just before lengthy easter bhreak - classic spin trick.

And gives copy of report to Commonwealth DPP but, astonishingly, with no brief of evidence so DPP will have to say they have nothing to go on - another classic trick.

Sorry comrade, but on face of it she's just the same as the others.

wot a stench.

as I say Tim Lee (who the Government has made a Commissioner now) is the one to whom the delay should sheeted home too

If that is case, O'Neil will resign will she not to preserve her personal integrity and integrity of position she holds?
Or is that a state of being now unknown in labor movement?

noddy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 21, 2002
Land of the Big Red Cloud
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
/The Bays/Man U
No matter what the end outcome is in all of this it is a bloody disgrace & has set the Trade Union movement in this country back to the dark ages.

One question i would like the ACTU to answer is why they have sat on there hands for the last four years & more or less just turned a blind eye as to what had been happening at the HSU.

Williamson suspended on full pay of $300000 per year along with all his perks :confused:

GuruJane

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts RIP
Feb 18, 2003
home of the mighty sa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Tottenham
This is sort of thing that was accustomed way of doing things back in the
60s and 70s until Hawke, Kelty et al revamped, reformed and brought ACTU and union movement into line with community standards/modern world. Not surprisingly this helped enable 13 years of back to back federal labor govts.

Such a regression. Must say it raises questions in my mind about Combet's & co generation reign at ACTU if this was result after they got elevated into parliament.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
No matter what the end outcome is in all of this it is a bloody disgrace & has set the Trade Union movement in this country back to the dark ages.

One question i would like the ACTU to answer is why they have sat on there hands for the last four years & more or less just turned a blind eye as to what had been happening at the HSU.

Williamson suspended on full pay of $300000 per year along with all his perks :confused:
Could at least be two positives;

- Get rid of this stupid Govt.

- Put the spotlight on corruption within the Unions and result in changes to eradicate it...

But I doubt either will happen.

Contra Mundum

10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC

My query about O'Neil is -

she appears before estimates and one thinks "a woman who sounds like she'll sort it out pronto"

following which....like, as soon as she's out the door ..

Announces report won't be made public ..

Announces FWA will not co-operate with NSW and Vic police

Releases report just before lengthy easter bhreak - classic spin trick.

And gives copy of report to Commonwealth DPP but, astonishingly, with no brief of evidence so DPP will have to say they have nothing to go on - another classic trick.

Sorry comrade, but on face of it she's just the same as the others.

wot a stench.

If that is case, O'Neil will resign will she not to preserve her personal integrity and integrity of position she holds?
Or is that a state of being now unknown in labor movement?

Bernadette is not in the Labor Movement she is in the APS. The failure to release was based on an advice from Gavan Griffith. She answered the questions put to her at Senate estimates honestly. She initiated the external enquiry into the delay. What you all should be upset about it is the decision to shield Lee from questioning by appointing him to a quasi-judicial job where there was many many more able candidates available. That is morally objectionable and Tammany Hall style. Tim Lee was/is much more embedded in the Party than Bernie is - as I say Bernie is a women of the utmost integrity

Contra Mundum

10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC

They don't have power to control the internal affairs of unions brother. They can't kick people out on a whim - and they don't want to hurt the poorly paid members of the HSU.

The whole thing fills me with revulsion

GuruJane

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts RIP
Feb 18, 2003
home of the mighty sa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Tottenham

Bernadette is not in the Labor Movement she is in the APS. The failure to release was based on an advice from Gavan Griffith. She answered the questions put to her at Senate estimates honestly. She initiated the external enquiry into the delay. What you all should be upset about it is the decision to shield Lee from questioning by appointing him to a quasi-judicial job where there was many many more able candidates available. That is morally objectionable and Tammany Hall style. Tim Lee was/is much more embedded in the Party than Bernie is - as I say Bernie is a women of the utmost integrity

Given its you, am prepared to take your word on that question. I expect then, she will resign at some point.

Can you clarify afew things:

Re "not in Labor Movement" : are you saying she has or had no links whatsoever to Labor and/or union movement?

Ditto Griffith. Wasn't he an arbitration judge or something for years?

Initiating the external inquiry into the delay: obvious move to have a bone to throw to estimates, Contra. Interesting that at the time it looked as if FWA had got its act together. Then as soon as she was out the door ....

Your comments as lawyer on advice from Sol Gen (he of Malaysian Solution renown) that FWA did not have power or discretion to assist NSW and Vic police inquiries?

Appointmernt of Lee to "shield him from questioning". Was this O'Neil's appointment?

Contra Mundum

10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC

Given its you, am prepared to take your word on that question. I expect then, she will resign at some point.

Can you clarify afew things:

Re "not in Labor Movement" : are you saying she has or had no links whatsoever to Labor and/or union movement?

Ditto Griffith. Wasn't he an arbitration judge or something for years?

Initiating the external inquiry into the delay: obvious move to have a bone to throw to estimates, Contra. Interesting that at the time it looked as if FWA had got its act together. Then as soon as she was out the door ....

Your comments as lawyer on advice from Sol Gen (he of Malaysian Solution renown) that FWA did not have power or discretion to assist NSW and Vic police inquiries?

Appointmernt of Lee to "shield him from questioning". Was this O'Neil's appointment?

She was employed in the Vehicle Builders for two years and then left to do her articles (two years in a twenty five year career) - Gavan Griffith is a silk in Sydney acting on instructions from the Solicitor General.

The legal questions the FWA are asking itself are seperate from criminal matters that can be prosecuted by the DPP or OPP. It is quite common for financial regulators and the tax office to conclude enquiries under their respective statutes and then hand the material over for assessment and investigation for crimimal offences - the criminal delay is the issue and the suspect part of it all - and that cannot be blamed on Bernie

Tim Lee is now on the Tribunal - his absence led to her appointment. What has she done to warrant her resignaton

tazzietiger

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
SENIOR Labor figures have raised the prospect of the de-registration of the scandal-plagued Health Services Union, accused of using workers' cash to pay for prostitutes.

The dramatic move, deployed against notorious unions the Painters and Dockers and Builders Labourers Federation in the past, was floated to ratchet up pressure on the union to take strong action over corruption allegations.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mo...-shutdown-threat/story-fn7x8me2-1226320171324

Does anyone think they will go as far as to de-register the union?

Contra Mundum

10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Does anyone think they will go as far as to de-register the union?

Such a move would be self defeating and ,unlike the BLF, the members are in no way implicated in the criminal conduct

cancat

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong

She has only been the General Manager for a month boys so calm down - as I say Tim Lee (who the Government has made a Commissioner now) is the one to whom the delay should sheeted home too

False.

Ms O’Neill has been acting FWA General Manager since September 2011. She is culpable.

She was assistant general secretary, Australian Liquor Hospitality and Miscellaneous Workers Union.

http://ministers.deewr.gov.au/shorten/new-president-leads-fair-work-australia

Contra Mundum

10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC

False.

Ms O’Neill has been acting FWA General Manager since September 2011. She is culpable.

She was assistant general secretary, Australian Liquor Hospitality and Miscellaneous Workers Union.

http://ministers.deewr.gov.au/shorten/new-president-leads-fair-work-australia

Acting since September 2011. She has only held the actual position for one or two months - how is she culpable for the delay that occurred before she was in the position?

As I say she completed the investigation, she initiated the enquiry into the delay and accepted that the delay was unacceptable - that is more than her predecessor ever did. He hid behind the President who took heat that was more correctly aimed at him and then got himself an appointment

She held that Missos position for eighteen months - so what? She was never involved in Party politics.

Can we look clinically at what it is and don't let ourselves succumb to witch hunts - why is no one pointing the finger at Lee?

Eagle87

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2005
Bangkok
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subi, Celtics, Pats, Sox

Acting since September 2011. She has only held the actual position for one or two months - how is she culpable for the delay that occurred before she was in the position?

As I say she completed the investigation, she initiated the enquiry into the delay and accepted that the delay was unacceptable - that is more than her predecessor ever did. He hid behind the President who took heat that was more correctly aimed at him and then got himself an appointment

She held that Missos position for eighteen months - so what? She was never involved in Party politics.

Can we look clinically at what it is and don't let ourselves succumb to witch hunts - why is no one pointing the finger at Lee?

I'm confused by your logic...

Lee clearly should wear a large chunk of "blame", there is plenty to go around though and the current head has been better but far from perfect.

As outlined by GJ there were a range of things she did after the Senate hearing that appear less than best practice if one was starting fresh. Doing better than ones predecessor is hardly a measure of best practice....

She released the report immediately before a long holiday and she should have known it was of no use to the DPP - to suggest she as the person in charge can fall back on "but I relied on others and my predecessor was worse" suggests weakness and lack of competence ... alternatively, she was partially (at least) complicit in the cover up by (at least) not taking control of the entire process herself ...

People of apparent utmost integrity are often found wanting when real acid is applied i

GuruJane

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts RIP
Feb 18, 2003
home of the mighty sa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Tottenham

She was employed in the Vehicle Builders for two years and then left to do her articles (two years in a twenty five year career) - Gavan Griffith is a silk in Sydney acting on instructions from the Solicitor General.

The legal questions the FWA are asking itself are seperate from criminal matters that can be prosecuted by the DPP or OPP. It is quite common for financial regulators and the tax office to conclude enquiries under their respective statutes and then hand the material over for assessment and investigation for crimimal offences - the criminal delay is the issue and the suspect part of it all - and that cannot be blamed on Bernie

Tim Lee is now on the Tribunal - his absence led to her appointment. What has she done to warrant her resignaton

Thanks C. Besides Vehicle Builders what else are her qualifications to be appointed GM or FWA and who appointed her?
I also asked about Griffith's connections with Labor and/or unions.

Handing material over: if this is quite common, why did the DPP quickly issue a statement saying they needed the evidence FWA had amassed?

How is the DPP to make an investigation without the evidence, Contra, since the FWA refuses to assist.
I would still like to know your opinion, as a lawyer, as to the advice the Sol Gen apparently gave the FWA that it does not have the power or discretion to assist police enquiries?

Would ASIC not be supplying the evidence in similar circs?

Re future resignation ...-

So far, O'Neil has relied on "advice" NOT to release the report publicly; NOT to assist with police inquiries and now NOT to supply DPP with the evidence its report is based on.

So perhaps its what she's not done that should be looked at?
and btw seeking "advice" from lawyers is a favorite ploy of govts and agencies when they want a shield for covering up. As an sure you know only too well:)

I just say again, since the moment O'Neil walked out the door from estimates nothing has changed. If it is others who are "managing" her or obstructing her then I would expect her to resign as a matter of principle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back