Opinion Port's recruiting in recent years

Natman

Norm Smith Medallist
RIP Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 5, 2004
Grange
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
No others are worthy
A few early draft picks 'get AFL' early and are physically sound and make it in year 1 or 2 and some don't.

We need to give Pitts and Moore until end 2013 to decide their fate - how long did Cotchin, for example, take before he really made it.

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
Re: Power SANFL - Round 2

Andrew Moore is proving yet another victim to the `don't draft utilities in the top 10' rule, aka the Ryley Dunn rule.

Aug 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Re: Power SANFL - Round 2

He may not have really made it, but he certainly wasn't playing VFL reserves in his 3rd year.

Now being based in Melbourne I don't have much knowledge of the Sanfl but from what everyone has been saying on here our players often get mucked around a bit when they are in their respective teams.

Whos actually keeping Moore out of the seniors? Is it just your stock big bodied 25-30yo state league player?

Its been said to death but until we get our own reserves team players like Moore are never going to reach their full potential.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I wanted Panos and Tapscott with 8 and 9... :eek:

Did not think that Butcher would be available, but still...

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
Think i wanted

slider with 8 (Butcher/SHeppard/Rohan was praying for trengove)

Tapscott with 9

Panos with 16

Upgrade Jordan Johns with 72

Honeyboy Wilson

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
At the time, I remember all I cared about was the fact that I almost broke my fingers crossing them that Butcher would be available at Pick 8.

I remember going to the Port Club for lunch on draft day just to hear our draft picks. I remember being 5 minutes too late, just as they called out Jasper McMillan-Pittard and everyone with a "who?" expression on their face. Then I remember the recap of our draft picks and the name John Butcher sounded like Stairway to Heaven.

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
I wanted Butcher, Talia and Carlisle (if available) or best available mid, as part of my cunning theory that we should cause a market rush on talls at #8 & #9.

Mar 10, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Butcher, Melksham, best available.

Moore was an ok pick but we've wasted him playing out of position in the reserves reserves when he was fine playing AFL in his first year.

He has missed out on the most important part of his development.

I wanted Butcher, Talia and Carlisle (if available) or best available mid, as part of my cunning theory that we should cause a market rush on talls at #8 & #9.

Boooooo. Picked with the relatively early pick we decided to hand Essendon for Jay "Jay Nash" Nash.

Butcher, Melksham, best available.

Moore was an ok pick but we've wasted him playing out of position in the reserves reserves when he was fine playing AFL in his first year.

He has missed out on the most important part of his development.

This is what drives me to pulling out my hair. I thought Moore was ok when he played at AFL level. Certainly no earth shaker but capable of learning at that level like O'Shea and Jacobs.

Then he goes back to the SANFL - to North - and disappears into the void.

Same with Young. I watched him play in the trial game against Melbourne and he showed great talent, energy and passion and looked like a genuine AFL prospect for this year. He goes back to the SANFL - to North - and has 4 touches. It's ridiculous. Nathan Blee so far seems to be able to cope with the curse of Prospect, fingers and toes crossed.

Then watching Sturt on the weekend where they had 6 crows players playing together, most of whom showed good signs, makes you wish even harder for our own reserves side.

Still, we have players who seem to be able to perform at other SANFL clubs ...

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think it'll be a matter of time before Moore moves to another SANFL (and ultimately AFL) club. He is stagnating very, very badly now, despite not having the injury excuses of last year.

He is paying the price for not clicking and standing up in the first two rounds of NAB cup, when he had opportunities. That sub-par performance against WCE has set him and perhaps Banner, well behind their teammates.

Don't know where Moore can get back in really. He is suited to the same utility role that Broadbent is playing as a mid/forward and Stewart and O'Shea as mid/backs. His apparent lack of polish may well prevent him from making ground on these guys. O'Shea has a better engine, Stewart better desperation and Broadbent better ball handling and skills. Really disappoints me that we haven't picked a winner with this one.

Aug 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
One of the things I will say here is that given the usual success rates of 1st round draft picks I think we should be totally happy with 2/3 picks working out. So even if Moore ends up being a flop as long as Pittard and Butch go on to play 150+ games then I would say we came out ahead.

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
One of the things I will say here is that given the usual success rates of 1st round draft picks I think we should be totally happy with 2/3 picks working out. So even if Moore ends up being a flop as long as Pittard and Butch go on to play 150+ games then I would say we came out ahead.

Also that its better that it there was a flop in a weaker draft like 2009, rather than do it in 01, (well we did with brooks) 08, 12(?)

Not every first round draft pick can turn into an elite player

the sad thing is that the door on Moore becoming a great/good player is closing

Rankor

Cancelled
May 31, 2011
Cheltenham
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
newcastle united
But we did upgrade brooks for salopec, so it wasn't a total loss. I think we have done well since 2007 in drafts.

SupportMe

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies
Re: Ben Jacobs Watch

If Primus was going down a similar path with youth this year, why would he and his recruiting staff trade in Renouf and then draft McCarthy or even Blee?

By all means the kids should play but they have to earn it.

Re: Ben Jacobs Watch

If Primus was going down a similar path with youth this year, why would he and his recruiting staff trade in Renouf and then draft McCarthy or even Blee?

By all means the kids should play but they have to earn it.

All about age profile. Not one of those fore mentioned are over 24 years of age.

They fit perfectly with where we are at/ were we are going.

Portia

#DrewBlood
Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
Re: Changes for round 3

IMO drafting Moore has just been an outright mistake.

Part of my patience with Jacobs is that he could be a genuine centre-square midfielder one day, whereas Moore I can't see ever being more than a flanker/second tier guy, even if he works out. He didn't really show that potential as a junior (which is why he is always referred to as a utility/half back/half forward) and I really don't understand anything about why we picked him and how we are developing him. It seems nonsensical.

Back