General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

A Richmond supporting guy I know complains about the 82 grand final and Helen d'Amico at least once or twice a week.

Everyone else just enjoyed the show:D

So rugby league has dumped the MacIntyre system for their finals.

It has always amazed me that they copied our original system 1v8 etc crap after we got rid of it because it was rubbish.

The current AFL finals system is much fairer.

The NRL are really run by muppets IMO.

My heart aches after hearing the sad news that Aussie golfer Jarrod Lyle has acute myeloid leukaemia for the second time.
He fought so hard to beat it the first time, life does not seem fair sometimes.Now he has to go through it all again.
They have made great advances into treatment for most blood cancers, but the myeloid is the nasty one.
Anyone who has a few dollars to spare for next weeks Worlds Greatest Shave would be doing a great thing.
You never know when it could happen to you or a loved and your life is turned upside down.:heart:

I have met Jarrod many times, and to hear this news was awful......he is so natural and friendly....

..he has recently married and is due to become a dad any day now..so for him to be told this during what should be the happiest time in his life, is a shock and very sad indeed..

I wish him well in his latest battle..

I have met Jarrod many times, and to hear this news was awful......he is so natural and friendly....

..he has recently married and is due to become a dad any day now..so for him to be told this during what should be the happiest time in his life, is a shock and very sad indeed..

I wish him well in his latest battle..

He is in for one hell of a fight,lets hope he wins it.:thumbsu:

Have been working my way slowly through the ESPN 30 for 30 sports documentaries.

Most of them are utterly fantastic. Great sporting stories put together by excellent documentarians.

Just watched Catching Hell which was just totally compelling. It's about Steve Bartman, a devoted Chicago Cubs fan who famously attempted to catch a foul ball in a crucial playoff game in 2003 and in the process accidently prevented the Cubs left fielder from taking the catch. The whole momentum of the match shifted and the Cubs ended up losing the series, missing out on the chance to end a century of misery and disappointment - and Bartman was scapegoated for the whole thing, not just by Cubs fans, but by irresponsible members of the media too who helped name and shame him.

The hell that Bartman went through afterwards was just devastating. He was the most hated man in Chicago and subject to repeated death threats and abuse. He has been a recluse ever since. Cubs fans are still divided to this day - some say he has carried on a curse that has plagued the Cubs for a century, others say that the treatment of Bartman is a black stain on the club and that Bartman has to be embraced and forgiven for the team to move forward.

The footage of a meek, nerdy, stunned looking Bartman sitting in the crowd with his cubs cap and walkman headphones on while thousands of people chant "arsehole! arsehole!" and pelt him with projectiles and death threats is genuinely haunting. Really revealing look into the ugliness that boils just below the surface in humans. It made me think of the famous saying "Any society is only three missed meals away from anarchy". In this case, all it took was one missed catch.

It's on YouTube in 10 parts if you want to watch it.

Just watched this documentary. What an extraordinary story isnt it. He ended up being the perfect scapegoat, and just looking at the guy, you couldn't have picked a better person to be it. His look does not change one bit, he almost looks as though he is meant to be there, in a disguise, to play the roll of someone to blame if the Cubs lose. Just so happened, couldnt have scripted it any better.

Apparantly Bartman is still a mystery man to this day.

The story on Bill Buckner equally good, amazing how a simple play could be so life changing. At least the Red Sox won later on, the poor old Cubs are still waiting.

Wow, Dave Taylor is leaving Souths to join the Titans.

IMO it is a crappy system when we all now that Taylor is not playing at Souths next year just 3 games into the current season:thumbsdown:

Soccer or basketball??

[YOUTUBE]e4pjJHiqCFE[/YOUTUBE]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else see the final of the Bells Beach event today? Slater v Fanning in one of the best exhibitions of contest surfing you're likely to ever see. Thought Slater was harshly done by with his second scoring ride, but you couldn't deny Fanning his victory.

Shits all over the Stawell Gift!

Anyone else see the final of the Bells Beach event today? Slater v Fanning in one of the best exhibitions of contest surfing you're likely to ever see. Thought Slater was harshly done by with his second scoring ride, but you couldn't deny Fanning his victory.

[YOUTUBE]-HclutaRnEo[/YOUTUBE]

Watched it as well. Was fascinating watching Slater going at every wave the last few mins trying to draw Fanning into another wave but he was just so confident didn't react at all.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

The girls final was awesome as well. Not as great surfing, but great drama!!:thumbsu:

I'm not into boxing all that much but I watched the sport documentary of 'thrilla in Manila' tonight. Before watching it I had heard of Frazier but knew nothing of how good he actually was, you could argue that he was as good of a fighter as Ali. It was pretty disgusting the way Ali treated Frazier when he was the one that petitioned for him so he could get back in the ring and lent him money. Really showed how scared Ali was of losing that he had to attack Frazier's character so much. Definitely recommend watching it.

The Thrilla in Manilla is the most brutal fight I ever watched. When Joe's trainer called it off Ali looked beyond spent. He was quoted later as saying it was the closest he came to dying.

The 3 Ali Fraser fights are what the sport of boxing could be when at it's best. Controversy, publicity, well matched opponents who despised each other, sublime skill and brute strength and courage. With that the entire world watched. The left hook that Frazier put Ali down with in "The Fight of The Century" their first fight in 1971, one has to wonder how Ali lived let alone got up and stayed the distance. I still shake my head at that. I was only about 11 or 12 at the time and still remember watching it with my dad.

The life of Ali is controversial no doubt. He was a sporting superstar the likes I have not seen since. He transcended his sport. He is now a figure revered in the US but it was not like that as you allude to Gibbo. In fact he could be cruel. If you like reading sports books you can go no further than reading a bio on Ali. He makes fascinating reading.

The sport itself is a shadow of it's former self. I blame the alphabet championships. This has demeaned the titles to mere bagatelles and I see no future. I once never missed a fight. I could hardly name a fighter now. This is sad in a way but maybe for the best. Who needs to have young men have their faculties removed for the sake of my entertainment.

Go the mighty Man U:cool:

The life of Ali is controversial no doubt. He was a sporting superstar the likes I have not seen since. He transcended his sport. He is now a figure revered in the US but it was not like that as you allude to Gibbo. In fact he could be cruel. If you like reading sports books you can go no further than reading a bio on Ali. He makes fascinating reading.
:

Think I might do a bit of reading on Ali now, made some interesting life choices. Amazing that Ali and Frazier were in those fights that people claim as the greatest ever, both world champions and Ali is known as a hero and will earn $ just for the use of his name and voice while Frazier looks like he was only just getting by in the interviews. It's also sad seeing that Frazier is happy at the state of Ali's health but it's hard to blame him after all he copped

Remove this Banner Ad

Back