Review Round 2. GC vs. St. Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

ATSAM

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Gary jnr is extraordinary, you lucky things to watch him every game. Go onto the Geelong BIg Footy site and watch the Youtube tribute to his Dad and sit back and enjoy. same highlights will apply to gazze.
Breaks my heart that he is not at Geelong, cherish him Gold Coast supporters.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Finally clicked for me why Lynch was playing on Riewoldt.

The only possible reason I can think for this switch is so that Lynch knows how hard a CHF must work in order to become a star of the game. Lynch has been compared to Riewoldt quite a lot before, so this could be Bluey putting Tom Lynch through his paces by putting him on the guy, just so he knows how to move, when to move, etc.

Not a bad idea if that's what he was doing. Similar calls are being made for Watts to do the same. Still. Frustrating. Lynch was utterly spent midway through the 4th. Could barely muster up a jog. All learning I suppose.

Tazwegian

Cancelled
Oct 16, 2010
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tasmanians in the AFL
Gary jnr is extraordinary, you lucky things to watch him every game. Go onto the Geelong BIg Footy site and watch the Youtube tribute to his Dad and sit back and enjoy. same highlights will apply to gazze.
Breaks my heart that he is not at Geelong, cherish him Gold Coast supporters.

He is wasted at GC at the moment. Real shame, he could have had three brownlows by now. An absolute champion of the game.

berisha

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Burnley, San Jose Sharks
Whats happened to K Hunt? I predicted an improved season from him, even got him in my supercoach team. I thought they were going to unleash him into the midfield?

Oct 5, 2010
QLD
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Spurs
Whats happened to K Hunt? I predicted an improved season from him, even got him in my supercoach team. I thought they were going to unleash him into the midfield?

Looks good in patches and then just disappears. Also really needs to stay on his feet, falls over way too easily.

Also Blueys interview is up on the website.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Now that I've calmed a little. :mad:

Harbrow really starting to show why we got him. Didn't show much last year, but I think so far he's really added something to us. One of our best today. :thumbsu:

Bennell a little off compared to last week, but can't expect him to catch the one-handers all the time. Still invaluable.

Spitta Jr. had some poor disposals again, but I think made up for it with sheer weight in numbers when he got it. Not sure on the exact break-down, but it seemed to be fewer clangers than last week. If he can get it that much every week, it will certainly help us out. Not sure I like him playing off HB, but he was hard at the ball for sure.

Brennan a wildcard. Not sure where he was playing half the time, but at least added something when he did. :D

Russell looking extremely fit. Running hard all over the ground. Will stay in the team I think. :thumbsu:

I heard David King say on the commentary that Rischitelli was doing all the hard running and pushing, but just wasn't getting it. Seems to have been a slow start from him. If we are to win, he needs to find it a lot more. Hope his effort is rewarded next week.

For some reason whenever Matera gets it I breathe a sigh of relief. He doesn't get it much, but his decisions and disposals are first class. Really like watching him play. Did anyone ever really doubt he was going to miss that snap goal he kicked? :D

McKenzie was only on for 2 minutes before you realize how much we miss him. Got a free, then booted it way way up the ground to the advantage of Ablett. Resulted in a goal. Another instance where he tore off through the middle, just couldn't get the nice bounce. Probably a bit rusty, but very good for us that he played out this game. He'll really help us out in the middle. Should play the whole game next week you would think.

Hall looked like the x-factor and dangerous in the first half. Disappointed that he was subbed off, but after he blew up in the second half last week, not surprised.

Lynch in defense, but the only reason I can fathom for is because he was instructed to learn off Riewoldt, the guy he was playing on. Hopefully picked up some good lessons on how a gun CHF works. :thumbsu:

May was good I thought, even though he missed that gimme two meters in front of goal. :eek: But since he was only shifted here cause of Lynch, I'm happy to let it slide. He may have started as a forward, but he's a defender now. Probably hasn't spent much time at all in the forward line at all over pre-season.

I know Warnock will never be AA quality, but he's doing damn fine considering how much he's getting it. It's difficult to peg how defenders are going, given it goes into our 50 so much. But I think our new number 14 is certainly doing better than our old one. ;) Doing exactly what we brought him on to do.

Prestia and Caddy sort of down for me today. They appeared to get to quite a lot of the contests, but from what I saw, didn't seem to put their head over the ball. Appeared to get to the contest always second, never first. Though this wasn't a Prestia/Caddy problem in particular.

I don't think we can expect much more than Hickey. Pushed up to kick a goal and seemed to get a few hit-outs.

Smith I thought was better in the ruck today. Slowly getting back into the grind I think. Hard to tell how he went up forward since it rarely got there.

Brown in real danger of losing his spot with Stanley coming back into the squad. If they insist with him playing forward, anyway. Brown was okay when he got the ball, but Stanley would have done all that plus more I feel.

Taylor virtually invisible. Didn't see much of him at all.

Weller and Shaw looked a bit off with their use, but ran really hard all night from what I saw. Their first game back in the seniors in the H&A, so am expecting them to pick it up next week now that they remember what it takes.

Hunt very quiet today. Could be due for a run in the ressies.

Of course... trying to describe the performance of Ablett would simply be an injustice. We all know how damn good he is, which is why it makes me sad to see us getting killed in these games when he's performing so well. Breaks the heart.

--

I thought the squad looked generally half a step or a full step behind the whole game. When we did have it, they appeared to be right in our faces, cutting us off from the handpass game plan. Seemed to fumble it an awful lot too, and would have had more chances if we got it with clean hands. The boys honestly looked tired and slow from the get go. Were they worked too hard in the pre-season? :confused:

Honestly not sure what has happened to hamper us so badly in the clearances. Can only hope that this starts to improve and get back to how it was. Dominated again from the middle.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Just to add onto your point on Matera, Sunny; as soon as he got the ball before he kicked the snap goal, i instantly sat back and knew he was going to kick it. it's a good feeling knowing you have one of those players in your team who are that reliable and comfortable kicking the snap shots from those sorts of angles.

bruski

Debutant
Jun 12, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The biggest issue for us is that we cannot dispose the ball correctly, we are missing targets constantly or just going the hail Mary. It seems as though the pressure on the guys is too hot for them to handle and pressure = mistakes or diamonds.

I think it is a long bow to pull blaming the game plan at this point as most of the time the game plan is not being displayed due to us turning the ball over - constantly. I do not know anything other than time that is going to get these guys to have a little space and time other than time.

Ablett looks like he is seeing the game in super slow motion, the rest of the team is playing catch up and seeing the game on fast forward.

That is why our 2nd team is kicking ass, when the guys play down it is a lot slower and they get a little more time to think and react correctly. We are stuck between that level and AFL level.

Let us hope it improves, either way... I will stick by this team as this is what us as supporters do. All of this misery will make those wins in the future so much more rewarding.

WrongUn

White Line Fever
Apr 4, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Compared to where we were at the end of last season, I really do feel we have taken a step backwards as a team. Individual players have stepped up greatly compared too their standard last year but this is not reflecting in our team play as a whole. We just are not moulding as the team should. Just like that old Footy saying, a team of champions will never beat a champion team. We may have a team of future stars, but they seem to be lacking direction at the moment.

We must start helping each other, stop putting team mates in unwinnable situations and stick to our strengths. Slow the game down, keep possession and stop kicking to 50/50 targets. Appalled at our first 2 games, getting Bock/Stanley back will help the game plan get back on track as these guys are in our top 5 players at the club, so of course we miss them greatly.

But hey did we really expect any different after our dismal pre-season? We are just continuing in our form from there.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Can agree that we seem to have gone backwards a little from late last year. Structures seem to be breaking down and not quite all there yet. Not sure if this is because they're different structures and they have yet to adapt or what.

Does team chemistry go down a little in young teams following an off-season? Is this something that typically happens? Given that they haven't played together for a few months?

Having not followed AFL for more than 18 months, I'm not entirely sure on how this works. Experienced teams you wouldn't think, but not sure how it works on young teams.

Really hope they get this chemistry back quick smart!

Jun 10, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Its natural to be dissapointed. Still need to be patient with the group and their development, gameplan, maturing etc... Fact of the matter is we are just not that good yet because of those things. Dont mean to point the obvious out, but all we can expect as members and supporters is endeavour at the contest.

Our gameplan is very fast to beat zones and presses, until our disposal under pressure and contested disposal and decision making improves we are going to be poor. That will come with time. If we are still woeful at the end of 2013 I would be very bloody suprised.

Look at the successful teams currently, it took a couple years for Clarkson to get Hawthorn off the bottom from 04-05, Malthouse with Collingwood after a few down years and changing structure/personell, Carlton were probably the most pathetic team of the last decade but look at them now.

It does take time, high draft picks take 40 odd games to really start to shine (high ones anyway). You see glimpses in the early stage and just wait for them to string it together. Cloke was a muppet in his early years as a forward, now he is one of the most dominant forwards in the game.

Cant expect rapid improvement from week to week. Lets just look for the fix ups from week to week.

Positives for me, we can handle running a hell of a lot more than last year. That's what I'm noticing, getting to contests.

Swallow's workrate was outstanding today, sure he continues to butcher the ball every 2nd time but we've all identified that. He continues to do the hard stuff, get to contests, bash in there get up and run to the next one. High tackle count, and I expect that he was put on the half back so when the ball gets down there, someone explosive and powerful enough to try run it out. I think the same thing with Caddy quite a few tackles means he was at the contest and working.

I need to watch the game again, as the 2nd half was a bit blurry due to intoxication :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Like Sunny after time to Calm down I am feeling better this morning, while i am frustrated at the lack of improvement I have no intention of jumping off the team.

My problem is just the lack of respect the opposition shows us, but once you accept the ship has no rudder engine or sail, its much easier to accept the ride and just let the current take you where it will.

WrongUn

White Line Fever
Apr 4, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I don't think we even class as a ship at the moment, more like a canoe up $hit creek without a paddle... Only positive is our canoe has the best captain in the comp paddling...

CoastBhoy

Premiership Player
Jul 26, 2001
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa
It really is plain to see that to much is lobbed on the shoulders of to few , it felt like at every contest it was the same 3 players contesting the ball , you cant blame the young fellas we are expecting way to much way to early , we need guys like Bock , Stanley , Patrick , Horsley , Fraser to come in to take some load off these young guys , we cannot expect these young guys to improve by sending them to the wolves week in weeek out.

CoastBhoy

Premiership Player
Jul 26, 2001
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa
Compared to where we were at the end of last season, I really do feel we have taken a step backwards as a team. Individual players have stepped up greatly compared too their standard last year but this is not reflecting in our team play as a whole. We just are not moulding as the team should. Just like that old Footy saying, a team of champions will never beat a champion team. We may have a team of future stars, but they seem to be lacking direction at the moment.

We must start helping each other, stop putting team mates in unwinnable situations and stick to our strengths. Slow the game down, keep possession and stop kicking to 50/50 targets. Appalled at our first 2 games, getting Bock/Stanley back will help the game plan get back on track as these guys are in our top 5 players at the club, so of course we miss them greatly.

But hey did we really expect any different after our dismal pre-season? We are just continuing in our form from there.

I does feel that way , i think in the first 2 rounds of the season a few guys have stepped up from what they did last year , i feel Russell , Prestia , Swallow and Bennell have stepped up , but guys like Lynch , Smith and Rischitelli have dropped back a little from what they did last year.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It really is plain to see that to much is lobbed on the shoulders of to few , it felt like at every contest it was the same 3 players contesting the ball , you cant blame the young fellas we are expecting way to much way to early , we need guys like Bock , Stanley , Patrick , Horsley , Fraser to come in to take some load off these young guys , we cannot expect these young guys to improve by sending them to the wolves week in weeek out.

This was always the balance issue.
The established clubs renew themselves every season by gently melding the new stars in with the established team stars.They absorb the club culture and team plans and its as if the old players never retired
I'm just a bit at odds with the conflicting mesages our boys get
You are young..it will take time
Excuses are over..you are men

Bottom line for me is they have the glorious opportunity to play senior AFL footy...an obstacle too high for me to overcome.(bitterness font off)
They must know what a privilege it is to pull on any AFL guernsey
Head over the ball, cherish every posession, every minute of the game
150 game players in our code are rare..our boys are playing like its guaranteed for them at the moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back