Nicco_jj

Bigfooty Kid
Apr 27, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Wood must come in I think, given carltons rucks. At worst he will free up jolly to rest forward.

Johnson coming in will free shaw up which will be great! I feel he has been getting caught when playing wing but where he is needing to be more defensive than he wants to.

Johnson in for Seedsman
Maxwell for Tarrant
Wood for Paine
Wellingham for Sinclair

Apart from that I doubt that there will be any other possible ins.

Bucks hinted that didak might come back in to the AFL side but it won't happen.

PieNSauce

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
are jealous!
I actually agree. In terms of performing at AFL level, if Paine was a 5th year player and he was playing like he was everyone would be saying he should be dropped/delisted. He's a 1st year player, showing great signs, has a lot of potential but his output if you isolate it, he's currently not showing enough to hold his spot in the side. I still think he should be given games to develop, but at this stage he still has quite a way to go.
Partly agree with this post but IMO, those calling for him to be dropped are forgetting that Collingwood desparately needs to develop players and this guy certainly looks the goods. Sure he's no star at this point but he's a 2 gamer ffs. As far as I'm concerned he's shown enough to hold his spot and the more games we get into this kid the better.
:thumbsu:

As my 42 years experience tells me this is a classic rivalry that is about to turn.
As my 52 years experience tells me, beating 2 non-contenders in April does not a premiership make!

Naughton

Team Captain
Mar 19, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
First time in years I've gone into a Carlton/Collingwood game (THE rivalry) knowing we're good enough to win.

But it's Round 3, and both teams should be looking at peaking in September, so all that's up for grabs is 4 points and bragging rights amongst supporters. Still to early to get a gauge on the season ahead for either team.

Having said that, I think it's important for Carlton to actually start beating other teams in the top 5, not just run them close. Pies just need to bank the points.

Buckley will make a great coach, but I'd expect a few early hiccups as the team adapts to him. Ratten has the team playing for him, although I have my doubts (I think his game style is too hard to physically maintain over a season).

Carlton's pace across the ground vs Collingwood's ability to shut down space and hunt in packs. Both sides excel in contested ball... Collingwood has probably been the benchmark, but Carlton is excellent at it too. Should be interesting.

Anyone who goes should understand they're blessed to see the likes of Murphy, Pendlebury, Judd and Swan running around. Chuck in quality big men in Cloke and Kruze, and the crazy individual talents of guys like Betts, Yarran, Thomas and Garlett... enjoy.

Personally, I reckon as of Round 3, Carlton's bottom 6 players are a bit better than Collingwood's. And that should prove the difference

Swooop

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 29, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good post Naughton.

I think you guys are travelling relatively better than us at the moment and last week's demolition of Brisbane in Brisbane was awesome - it looked a pretty complete performance.

Carlton have a high chance of winning this game in the prevailing circumstances but it's very early in the season and I think Rd 15 or whenever we meet again to be a better guide to how things go.

But finals will be different again, and both teams loom as powerful contenders for sure.

PieNSauce

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
are jealous!
Good post Naughton.

I think you guys are travelling relatively better than us at the moment and last week's demolition of Brisbane in Brisbane was awesome - it looked a pretty complete performance.

Carlton have a high chance of winning this game in the prevailing circumstances but it's very early in the season and I think Rd 15 or whenever we meet again to be a better guide to how things go.

But finals will be different again, and both teams loom as powerful contenders for sure.
Agreed. On current available personnel it's hard to argue that our bottom 3 or 4 are the equal of Carlton's. I think it's fair to say though that this situation is likely to turn around significantly in the next few weeks but until then, Collingwood will take whatever points it can gain fairly gratefully.

This game will give Carlton a rare opportunity against us and they are better placed than ever to take the points. Having said that, Carlton haven't really beaten anyone of note yet and it will be very interesting to watch the midfield battle. Whoever can get the ascendancy there will go a long way toward winning. Pies fans will be hoping that the inclusion of Wellingham (assuming he plays) and the week's run for Beams who showed a bit will tip the scales our way. Pies defence will also be bolstered by the return of Maxwell although we've probably lost Taz.

That said, way too difficult to call at this stage and I suspect neither side will be seeing this as an easy task.

Aug 6, 2007
Vegas
AFL Club
Collingwood
OUTS: Sinclair, Seedsman, Paine, Tarrant (inj.)
INS: Wellingham, Johnson, Wood, Maxwell

B - Maxwell Keeffe Toovey
HB - O'Brien Reid Shaw
C - Wellingham Swan Sidebottom
HF - Thomas Cloke Beams
F - Blair Dawes Jolly
R - Wood Ball Pendlebury

INT - Fasolo Clarke Goldsack
SUB - Johnson

Maybe start with Jolly up forward and try and stretch the defence.

Would love to see Didak back this week as well but I think he might have a run in the VFL.

daics_35

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Port Melbourne VFL
First time in years I've gone into a Carlton/Collingwood game (THE rivalry) knowing we're good enough to win.

But it's Round 3, and both teams should be looking at peaking in September, so all that's up for grabs is 4 points and bragging rights amongst supporters. Still to early to get a gauge on the season ahead for either team.

Having said that, I think it's important for Carlton to actually start beating other teams in the top 5, not just run them close. Pies just need to bank the points.

Buckley will make a great coach, but I'd expect a few early hiccups as the team adapts to him. Ratten has the team playing for him, although I have my doubts (I think his game style is too hard to physically maintain over a season).

Carlton's pace across the ground vs Collingwood's ability to shut down space and hunt in packs. Both sides excel in contested ball... Collingwood has probably been the benchmark, but Carlton is excellent at it too. Should be interesting.

Anyone who goes should understand they're blessed to see the likes of Murphy, Pendlebury, Judd and Swan running around. Chuck in quality big men in Cloke and Kruze, and the crazy individual talents of guys like Betts, Yarran, Thomas and Garlett... enjoy.

Personally, I reckon as of Round 3, Carlton's bottom 6 players are a bit better than Collingwood's. And that should prove the difference
Great post, agree with everything.

Great post, agree with everything.
I agree, it was a great post, couldn't have come from a Carlton supporter.:p

Our main training session would be today I would assume, as you usually count backwards from game day and the day before is our "public" session and 2 days before that is our "main" session.

So I'm guessing the press will grill Bucks at some point after training today, hopefully he says some positive things about Maxy, Wellers and BJ.:thumbsu:

daics_35

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Port Melbourne VFL
Could Sincliar play a defensive role on Garlett? Or still too inexperienced?

Na, its not the experience factor imo, its that Sinclair is not smart enough to play on Garlett. I would hate to see Sinclair's name in the 22 this week.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Could Sincliar play a defensive role on Garlett? Or still too inexperienced?

I can see how it could work because Sinclair runs to the right spots so he may be able to stay with him in traffic. However if I were Ratten first thing I'd say if I saw that match up is Jeffy head to the goal square.

Sinclair needs another 30 games before getting a role like that, whether he gets those games is another thing entirely.....

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Na, its not the experience factor imo, its that Sinclair is not smart enough to play on Garlett. I would hate to see Sinclair's name in the 22 this week.

That's just plain wrong! Sinclair struggles in a lot of areas, however footy smarts is not one of them.

In the handful of games he's played he always gets himself into dangerous positions in the forward half its the finishing from then on that let's him down.

For some perspective. The small forward role is probably the one that has changed the least in the past decade and Sinclair in the first 6 games of his career averages just under 11 possessions per game and 3 tackles per game. It took 4 seasons for Leon Davis to average numbers like that. In Leon's first 6 games he amassed just 30 possessions, 3 tackles and kicked the same amount of goals, 2.

Sinclair isn't as talented as Leon and he has a heap of rough edges, but the heat he cops is bloody tough considering the role he plays, his body shape and the big time nature of the games he's been involved in so far! I for one am getting over it.

Shadow Hunter

Senior List
Mar 18, 2012
Space
AFL Club
Carlton
Congrats to the pies on a great win, you guys showed why you are a good team, so much skill and talent and some very good kids, big flag threats, once again Pies congrats on the win against the Blues.

pendles2425

Rookie
Mar 31, 2012
Fairfield
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's just plain wrong! Sinclair struggles in a lot of areas, however footy smarts is not one of them.

In the handful of games he's played he always gets himself into dangerous positions in the forward half its the finishing from then on that let's him down.

For some perspective. The small forward role is probably the one that has changed the least in the past decade and Sinclair in the first 6 games of his career averages just under 11 possessions per game and 3 tackles per game. It took 4 seasons for Leon Davis to average numbers like that. In Leon's first 6 games he amassed just 30 possessions, 3 tackles and kicked the same amount of goals, 2.

Sinclair isn't as talented as Leon and he has a heap of rough edges, but the heat he cops is bloody tough considering the role he plays, his body shape and the big time nature of the games he's been involved in so far! I for one am getting over it.

Finally someone agrees with me! I have never seen a player cop so much on a forum thread. In my eyes he has not been that bad. He has shanked a few kicks at goal, but has swan? Dawes? Cloke? GIVE HIM MORE TIME!, he has played 5 games and 1/4 of footy!

Jul 14, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Colts, UVA, Anaheim Ducks
Finally someone agrees with me! I have never seen a player cop so much on a forum thread. In my eyes he has not been that bad. He has shanked a few kicks at goal, but has swan? Dawes? Cloke? GIVE HIM MORE TIME!, he has played 5 games and 1/4 of footy!

We can give him more time in the VFL not AFL.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders

I can go further with it too. The man that Sinclair has replaced, Krakouer, took the first 15 matches of his career to put together the same amount of possessions and tackles as Sinclair has had in his first 6.

Unless your a freak ie Didak, Blair, Garlett and Rioli it takes at least 30-40 games to become proficient in that position. Let's look a little closer at those 4 to. Didak and Rioli were first round picks, Blair was a Morrish Medalist and were he 6 foot tall would have gone top 20 and Garlett's a cousin of Buddy!!

Sinclair is in the gun this week with senior players in line for a return, but I bet if he does get the chop he'll be amongst the best in the VFL next week.

Oct 10, 2006
Dreamland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Altona Vikings

HB - O'Brien Reid Shaw
HF - Thomas Cloke Beams
F - Fasolo Dawes Jolly
R - Wood Ball Pendlebury

INT - Johnson Clarke Goldsack
SUB - Blair

Thinking Blair as sub for a bit of spark and goals off the bench. :thumbsu::thumbsdown::confused:

Thinking Blair as sub for a bit of spark and goals off the bench. :thumbsu::thumbsdown::confused:
No way Blair is the sub, he'd be in the top 5-6 in the Copeland Trophy voting at the moment, his form this year has been sensational so far.

I like the idea of Johnson or Wellingham as the sub, both haven't played yet this year, although I'd lean towards Sharrod just because BJ can do a defensive job better then he can.

carnthepies19

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
No way Blair is the sub, he'd be in the top 5-6 in the Copeland Trophy voting at the moment, his form this year has been sensational so far.

I like the idea of Johnson or Wellingham as the sub, both haven't played yet this year, although I'd lean towards Sharrod just because BJ can do a defensive job better then he can.

This. :thumbsu:

hellfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 21, 2007
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona
I don't like the idea of having Sharrod as the sub against a midfield that runs as deep as Carlton's. We need ball winning ability, we need pace, and Sharrod has those in spades. I personally would make Clarke the sub. He was good last week, but I think he is still re-adjusting to the pace of the game. Carlton's forwards are the fastest in the league, and he could get exposed early in the frantic opening quarter. The pace will go out of the game by the time the sub is activated, and his run and skills could prove useful in the last.

soreplums

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox

HB - O'Brien Reid Shaw
HF - Thomas Cloke Beams
F - Fasolo Dawes Jolly
R - Wood Ball Pendlebury

INT - Johnson Clarke Goldsack
SUB - Blair

move Thomas to the Wing, Wellingham to the bench, Goldsack to Half Forward to play on Yarran and clarke as the Sub.

Back