Lachrilly

All Australian
May 17, 2007
Cairns
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Saints beat Norths by about 40pts today. In a good game Saints had too many runners around the ground and too many forward options. Walsh kicked 6 or 7 where Norths only had little guys trying to take hangers and no real big target. Richter went forward in the second half and was a good lead up option but had no help.

watsons oval

Senior List
Feb 1, 2010
Cairns
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Cairns Tigers, Liverpool
Saints beat Norths by about 40pts today. In a good game Saints had too many runners around the ground and too many forward options. Walsh kicked 6 or 7 where Norths only had little guys trying to take hangers and no real big target. Richter went forward in the second half and was a good lead up option but had no help.
Yeah was a good game of footy today, Norths battled all day but I never had the feeling that we were gonna win. For all the hype about the Saints forward line, I thought their back half was excellent. They have a very good set up at stoppages and ran the ball out of defense easliy all day. I think the Tigers will be reasonably content with today, plenty to work on, with a few to come back (as do Saints) next round at Watsons' should be a cracker.

Jan 23, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't think much could be taken out of the game to be honest. From what I saw Rex nor meuller played, we heard liddy has not been heard from all week. Both defensive lines were good, Walsh still kicked 6 but the Norths backs kept Macqueen quiet. Once the big man Braybon gets his touch back and Gill returns I think some big scores will be kicked. Richter today was all class, down back, in the midfield or up forward he was fantastic.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Walshy on top of the goalkicking again, followed by Gill, Macqueen, Liddy, Kynuna and Gribbon.

Could be an interesting battle this year, with Walsh sharing with Gill while Liddy and Gribbon will perhaps be the standouts for their sides.

Good first hitout in Tigers v Saints this year and Saints only have 4 days free before fronting up for Port on Saturday. It looks like the top 2 will be made up of those three sides, perhaps Hawks will get it together with a few recruits in the next couple of weeks.

This weeks' games will show more about how the season lies.

Can Port challenge Saints like Norths did? Gill to possibly come back in fresh, but the rest of the team could be feeling it in the legs on Saturday, Port might be able to run away with it as their young recruits are becoming acclimatised to tropical football.

Hawks v Souths should fall to the Hawks, but will it be the drubbing it would have been last year or will it be a close contest? Be a brave man to guess with any certainty.

Meanwhile Centrals try themselves against Norths to see if they're going to be also-rans or competitive for finals.

Just looking at the ladder, whoever loses out of Hawks and Souths will drop below Lions on the ladder. First time they've been off the bottom in a while, doesn't mean anything because the bye will sort itself out eventually.

Lions also won the reserves on Saturday? Hope they get a team together against Hawks, they might be able to make finals!!

Geegrimey

Debutant
Nov 2, 2007
Mandurah
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good game yesterday, Norths were missing a few (no Lukas?) that would have really helped and as stated earlier they just looked a bit short. Richter and Potter are doing a great job at Tigerland and on the field it showed. Was interesting to hear the crowd towards both Stevie Davies (Norths) and Fitzy (Saints), price you pay for playing against your old side I guess. Although Fitzy copped it on the field as well, were Norths not keen to let him go? They certainly gave it to him but apparently they denied his clearance a few times. What is the go there Watsons or Pagans?

Gill returning is a good in this week Saint, but I think Jesse Dixon and Dean Hislop are just as important. Hopefully we get to see the two Zac's (Kelly and White) playing against Port this week. Port are huge unknowns, who is this Skip Gibbon? Great name and apparently can play.

watsons oval

Senior List
Feb 1, 2010
Cairns
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Cairns Tigers, Liverpool
Good game yesterday, Norths were missing a few (no Lukas?) that would have really helped and as stated earlier they just looked a bit short. Richter and Potter are doing a great job at Tigerland and on the field it showed. Was interesting to hear the crowd towards both Stevie Davies (Norths) and Fitzy (Saints), price you pay for playing against your old side I guess. Although Fitzy copped it on the field as well, were Norths not keen to let him go? They certainly gave it to him but apparently they denied his clearance a few times. What is the go there Watsons or Pagans?

Gill returning is a good in this week Saint, but I think Jesse Dixon and Dean Hislop are just as important. Hopefully we get to see the two Zac's (Kelly and White) playing against Port this week. Port are huge unknowns, who is this Skip Gibbon? Great name and apparently can play.
Yeah was shocked to see him playing yesterday, I'd heard nothing of it. He was a very popular clubman last year, loves a beer and has a crack. Apparently though he left for a season in Darwin still owing a few of the boys $$ from nights out but assured everyone that he would repay when he returned to Cairns. Noone had seen or heard from him until his clearance request came in. Be careful
Heard about this Skip Gibbon, by all reports can take a mark, but it will take one hell of a mark to beat the one 'Cloughy' took yesterday. Absolute screamer right in front of the crowd. The kid can really play too.

Flintstone

All Australian
Apr 22, 2010
Cairns
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
West Perth Falcons
Walshy on top of the goalkicking again, followed by Gill, Macqueen, Liddy, Kynuna and Gribbon.

Could be an interesting battle this year, with Walsh sharing with Gill while Liddy and Gribbon will perhaps be the standouts for their sides.

Good first hitout in Tigers v Saints this year and Saints only have 4 days free before fronting up for Port on Saturday. It looks like the top 2 will be made up of those three sides, perhaps Hawks will get it together with a few recruits in the next couple of weeks.

This weeks' games will show more about how the season lies.

Can Port challenge Saints like Norths did? Gill to possibly come back in fresh, but the rest of the team could be feeling it in the legs on Saturday, Port might be able to run away with it as their young recruits are becoming acclimatised to tropical football.

Hawks v Souths should fall to the Hawks, but will it be the drubbing it would have been last year or will it be a close contest? Be a brave man to guess with any certainty.

Meanwhile Centrals try themselves against Norths to see if they're going to be also-rans or competitive for finals.

Just looking at the ladder, whoever loses out of Hawks and Souths will drop below Lions on the ladder. First time they've been off the bottom in a while, doesn't mean anything because the bye will sort itself out eventually.

Lions also won the reserves on Saturday? Hope they get a team together against Hawks, they might be able to make finals!!

I'm expecting the Cutters to give a better account of themselves against Hawks. Whilst not an excuse, the Cutters Ressies were down on men and didn't have a bench. They should have a few players back this week and should go well against the Hawks Magoo's.;)

Flintstone

All Australian
Apr 22, 2010
Cairns
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
West Perth Falcons
PRAY TELL where did I mentioned the men in orange & green in my blog :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I only spoke of the teams, I actually had a couple come and sit with me chatting away whilst watching the seniors & chatted with others after the game I do get along with all of them

They did a great yesterday in the conditions :thumbsu: to them

And just to add, I think Bob Burke is doing a good job with the junior umpires. I think Bob has found his calling.:thumbsu:;)

Flintstone

All Australian
Apr 22, 2010
Cairns
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
West Perth Falcons
Well it must be true, Saints Do NOT Pay their players or Coaches. Poor old Bob O'Halloran has to run for council to get a paying job. Or is there an ulterior motive......are Saints looking to get the funds for the Entertain Precinct and get a new stadium built just for them......

tamba

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2007
In my MAN Cave
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
South Cairns Cutters
Well it must be true, Saints Do NOT Pay their players or Coaches. Poor old Bob O'Halloran has to run for council to get a paying job. Or is there an ulterior motive......are Saints looking to get the funds for the Entertain Precinct and get a new stadium built just for them......

Now won't that be a sight too see

Grifith Park Stadium, roof covering, night football, the envy of all ,

that will put HQ in the confines of being,

need to say :eek: croak :( a cow paddock :rolleyes: LOL :eek::eek::D

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
The old bugger must have gone senile.

Can't think of a worse job than being a Councillor. Long hours listening to idiots moan about their own little problems and nothing but constant condemnation for anything they do.

Why anyone sensible would put their hand up to do it is beyond me, hence most of them are useless drop kicks, forever continuing the cycle of mediocrity.

I think it's good for the ressies to have a bit of competition for the finals spots this year. Perhaps they won't be able to match Norths or Saints at the pointy end of the season, but it gives lower clubs like Lions/Souths some measure of success to build a club on.

Lachrilly

All Australian
May 17, 2007
Cairns
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
The old bugger must have gone senile.

Can't think of a worse job than being a Councillor. Long hours listening to idiots moan about their own little problems and nothing but constant condemnation for anything they do.

Why anyone sensible would put their hand up to do it is beyond me, hence most of them are useless drop kicks, forever continuing the cycle of mediocrity.

I think it's good for the ressies to have a bit of competition for the finals spots this year. Perhaps they won't be able to match Norths or Saints at the pointy end of the season, but it gives lower clubs like Lions/Souths some measure of success to build a club on.

Port are 2-0 in the ressies Saint so you would think they are the team to beat at this stage. If Saints can knock them off this week then maybe there are 3 that can win it if not then maybe its Port and Norths looking the favs.

HappyFeet

Rookie
May 24, 2011
Cairns
AFL Club
Collingwood
Port are 2-0 in the ressies Saint so you would think they are the team to beat at this stage. If Saints can knock them off this week then maybe there are 3 that can win it if not then maybe its Port and Norths looking the favs.
Come on Lachrilly. Stop trying to talk down your own club. If your ressies ate not in the top 2 they have under achieved cause I know that you have the numbers on the books to get 2 handy teams together.

tamba

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2007
In my MAN Cave
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
South Cairns Cutters

Hang on a minute, :eek:
Port fell over the line in the last 1.5 minutes of the days play, Souths led them by 3 goals most of the day otherwise.

So why would I :confused: they are the team to beat at this stage :rolleyes:

The lions forfetted against us in Ressies, but then got a team & beat Centrals. So they are capable of springing anything

Way Way Far too early to be calling this rot,

try after the full round is completed then bring out your Crystal Balls;)

Lachrilly

All Australian
May 17, 2007
Cairns
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Come on Lachrilly. Stop trying to talk down your own club. If your ressies ate not in the top 2 they have under achieved cause I know that you have the numbers on the books to get 2 handy teams together.

Saints had to call on 3 veterans just to get a bench together last week. Yes Saints were missing alot on Monday but still a way off playing their best footy. Souths might be the dark horse. In the past few seasons the best team all year hasn't won the 2's flag so dont count anyone out

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Injuries/unavailabilities tend to hit the reserves more than they hit the seniors, as any injury in the seniors will likely result in one of the better players being taken from the 2s.

Saints seniors had 6 changes from Round 1 to Round 2, most of them unavailabilities. Having the top 6 out of the reserves took its toll on the weekend, but I would expect Saints to be top 2 in the reserves by season's end.

But with reserves football you never know, it only takes a couple of senior recruits to drop better players back to the ressies.

Like last year, I'm looking forward to seeing the guys new to the sport doing well in Saints ressies and hopefully a few more games in the seniors.

The only reason i mentioned Norths and Saints is because their seniors are highly rated and it's rare that a top 2 senior tream won't have a strong reserves team, last year being a prime example.

Collo_Cairns

Debutant
Feb 9, 2010
Cairns
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tamba and Flinstone - I know this will stir you up and you may not even know about it but why are some Souths players upset at Grant? As a proud supporter, surely you would have had enough of this!

Overheard your own players saying it whilst I was watching the game on Monday.

Collo_Cairns

Debutant
Feb 9, 2010
Cairns
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surely if Port beat Norths week 1 and Norths beat Saints on Monday that would make the Crocs the early favourites in the reserves. Again as a lot of you have said, how much can we take out of the weekends games.

Saints seniors look to have a very good spread, and looking through the record to see who they had out I think they will take, at this moment, a lot to topple. I know it is only round 3 but my crystal ball is pretty clear.

tamba

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2007
In my MAN Cave
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
South Cairns Cutters
Tamba and Flinstone - I know this will stir you up and you may not even know about it but why are some Souths players upset at Grant? As a proud supporter, surely you would have had enough of this!

Overheard your own players saying it whilst I was watching the game on Monday.

A few were told some home truths, they are not here "JUST" for the holiday, all is fine otherwise

Catch up with ya for a beer Friday night if you like all Hawkies bloggers on the terrace in the stands you should know this olde fa-t.

tamba

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2007
In my MAN Cave
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
South Cairns Cutters
Interesting report last nights news

Cairns to have an AFL team by 2020

NEAFL in 3-4 yrs now

Nice dream I would love to see it :thumbsu:, look what it can do for our juniors

WOW what a stepping stone leg up .:eek:

but money :confused:

could the area support it to make it viable only time will tell

Dontargue

Senior List
Feb 18, 2012
Cairns
AFL Club
Adelaide

NEAFL in 3-4 yrs now

Nice dream I would love to see it :thumbsu:, look what it can do for our juniors

Cairns won't have an AFL team before 2050! If ever. I hope we do but there are plenty of others cities ahead of Cairns and even they won't get a team for another 15 years plus. It's been 15 years since Port Adelaide came in and that was in the second strongest AFL city in Australia. It will take at least 5 or 6 years for the Suns and Giants to settle in and get off the bottom and the AFL won't even consider bringing in another team while that's happening or so soon after.

Why Conlan or anyone associated with the AFL cairns would even seriously suggest it has me confused.

Sweet Undies

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2008
I MELT POSTERS INTO OBLIVION
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Team Stephen Shavedham

NEAFL in 3-4 yrs now

They are simply trying to get some interest and struggling for a story. Total
pie in the sky stuff.

Interesting that a few lads are already off side with the new coach, Tamby Wamby. Maybe some of the players won't light his smokes for him:heart::)

tamba

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2007
In my MAN Cave
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
South Cairns Cutters
For what it's worth ;)

Tipping Time

Souths 3 goals

Port 4 goals

Centrals only because of their lights ( not good enough near the change rooms) & home crowd (sorry Dr. Watson) :rolleyes:

I'll tally up for the last 2 rounds on Sunday & post the ladder board

SO GET'EM IN CHAPPIES :D

Back