State of Origin Who will be 1, 6, 7,9 for NSW this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pearce? Is he the best you've got? :p Must admit, scratching around, trying to think of other eligible 7s... Was watching The Voice of Reason earlier, and a guy on there rightly said of Carney; he's been playing OK, but he hasn't really set the world on fire this year. No prob with Dugan if fit, but it always seems to be a big 'if' with him. ISTR Mini was full-back last year when Dugan was injured?

I like Danny Buderus; he was great for Leeds and seems to be going well this year too. When I first started posting here a few year s ago, the regular refrain was, it should be Farah at 9 rather than, er, him. :) But it seems to me that RF is a shadow of the player he was then, so not in the reckoning, I'd have thought.

i'm still very unsold on Pearce.

Moloney is a talent but defence is obviously a big question mark and that will only get magnified in SOO.

I'd be thinking two of Carney, Mullen or Soward in the halves.

9 i'd be going back to buderus. guy is just a gun.

1 depends on who is fit. we've got so many options with dugan, hayne and stewart and now morris throwing his hands up. even coote wouldn't be the worst fullback going around but he's well down the pecking order. but of the first four mentioned i really don't know. all are such good players and you just can't fit them all in.

but i'm still not feeling confident about this years series again. we're just constantly playing catch up to the queenslanders.

I didn't know Maloney was eligible! I like him a lot. And of the four you mention, surely Soward is easily the weakest defender? I've never been a Mullen fan. As you say, plenty of options at full-back. Morris looks to me a better full-back than he ever was winger, Funny that, in the same way Francis Meli at St. Helens now looks a better centre than he ever did winger too.

Stewart
Carney
Pearce
Buderus

At this point.

Dugan isnt fit, Hayne is a chance if he improves the next few weeks. Farah is in poor form, Ennis is rubbish.

Ha ha.

Farah has had his papers marked. Would not be picked even if in form. Which he isn't.

Has to be Buderus at this point.

As for Pearce. He is probably best we've got ATM.

1, 6, 7, 9 meh. The more important selections are the pack and the front row. How did the QLD 1, 7, & 9 go in the finals last year behind a beaten pack? ;)

NSW could buy a time machine, bring back Sterlo, Elias, Joey, Daley, Fitler, Langlands etc in their prime & it won't make an ounce if difference if they select ball playing pillows up against the QLD pack.

. When I first started posting here a few year s ago, the regular refrain was, it should be Farah at 9 rather than, er, him. :) But it seems to me that RF is a shadow of the player he was then, so not in the reckoning, I'd have thought.

At the time Buderus was being given his two year farewell tour, Robbie was the best hooker in the country, let alone NSW. Outplayed Smith every time they played bar for one famous game...

Was eventually selected, against the wishes of everyone involved in the team, then sent out to play, alongside a pack full of pillows, injured nonetheless, and dropped when (shockingly) he played poorly.

Was told to toughen up before being considered and pretty much has ruined his body trying to give the coaches what they want. We will of course ignore the fact that now they get to pick their preferred grubby s**t player, he's been an outright failure.

Buderus on the other hand, has been able to cruise around in a lesser competition, regenerate body and mind and has returned to the NRL a player seemingly years younger than when he left.

At the time you talk about, Rob should have been the NSW 9. Now? No one in that peak age group, Farah, the Penis, Young, De Gois and so forth are putting their hands up. Danny however is playing good footy.

1, 6, 7, 9 meh. The more important selections are the pack and the front row. How did the QLD 1, 7, & 9 go in the finals last year behind a beaten pack? ;)

Start a thread, then, instead of complaining about this one?

As for your other post, we're actually in agreement, bar you usual cheap jibes about the ESL. Now Buderus is playing well, it's cos he was able to 'cruise around'. I suppose if was playing badly now, it'd be because he couldn't regain the intensity of the NRL after playing in a lesser comp? Anyway, I agree Buderus should get the shirt. And frankly, if Leeds were playing the Tigers next week, I'd back them to win convincingly.

lol You want me to pretend I rate the retirement comp?

We can disagree on by how much but the ESL is of a lower standard. Thats a fact. Yes Danny has had an easier few years than he would have had he stayed home.

As for your other post. Get off the high horse champ, or you'll end up bitter like an un named poster on the board. I do get that you caught some cyber feelings over my non rating of the NRL reserve grade comp ;)

It was simply just a comment that regardless of whether Pearce is up to standard or not wont make a difference behind a beaten pack and I think your judgement on him is unfair, as with anyone who has played the last 6 years in the halves for the Blues given the pillows we select.

They have skirted around the real problems for far too long.

Give Pearce and co a decent pack to work behind and we might see some differences.

As for Leeds v Tigers. Don't be ridiculous. If they were man enough to play in Australia, we trounce them by 50+ but yes we'd likely get mugged under your conditions. It's a credit to the NRL and it's quality and closeness of the squads that a slight drop off by us resulting in losses each week.

I see plenty of talented young forwards in the NRL. They can't all be Queenslanders, surely?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, Googling, this was the squad for Game 2 last year:

Blues Team
Josh Dugan (Raiders)
Jarryd Hayne (Eels)
Will Hopoate (Sea Eagles)
Mark Gasnier (Dragons)
Akuila Uate (Knights)
Jamie Soward (Dragons)
Mitchell Pearce (Roosters)
Paul Gallen (c) (Sharks)
Michael Ennis (Bulldogs)
Tim Mannah (Eels)
Beau Scott (Dragons)
Ben Creagh (Dragons)
Greg Bird (Titans)

Interchange
Kurt Gidley (Knights)
Trent Merrin (Dragons)
Anthony Watmough (Sea Eagles)
Luke Lewis (Panthers)

Of those forwards, surely Gallen is a shoo-in, and, er... I see what you mean... :)

Scott - not as good as the other Scott
Mannah, Creagh - nope.
Merrin - improved, and deserves a place
Watmough - Past it.

Bird/Lewis - OK at 13, I suppose . I'd prefer Lewis.

Galloway? I always liked him.

Gasnier's place up for grabs, also Hopoate's.

He's been playing, so fit, I take it, but for me he's brute force and ignorance; not a smart footballer. Ongoing penalty risk.

i like TLL a lot, and he's young so plenty of scope for improvement. beast of a guy.... looks a great fit for origin imo. very physical. he might be playing now but he's not 100% if i'm right?? injury interrupted pre-season....??? but still a month to get right back into it if he isn't already..

Still a few question marks on NSW's likely selection. I think the dilemma around the half and five-eighth combo has been answered with Pearce and Carney pretty secure based on form.

Is fullback a toss of the coin between Stewart and Dugan or has Stewart secured the spot?

Farah at hooker seems to be the mail but that flies in the face of the past selection approach - will be interested to see how this pans out.

On a broader selection issue, I'd be steering clear of the "mobile" side that NSW selected last year. I reckon you need big boppers and the benefit of Gallen as effectively a mobile 3rd prop playing in the back row shouldn't be understated. I think you go forward game benefits immeasurably and you can take advantage of the mobility of Lewis, Watmough, G Stewart etc once you've taken the sting out of the Qld big men. I'd be looking at a pack including Tamou and another prop (I am a bit of a fan of Mick Weyman) with Gallen, Lewis and Williams/Watmough in the backrow.

Another question I had when there was a slight possibility that Gallen could miss Origin 1 - who would NSW appoint as captain? Lewis

Are you saying you would start all of Stewart Watmough & Lewis off the bench?

Surely Watmough at least has to start.

If I'm reading you right what would your starting backrow be? Or have I completely misread you?

Bird obviously. You are saying Gal but I don't think there is any question for 2012 he will be up front (would love to be wrong)

Gallen is arguably the form forward of the comp, and has to play, but I think I agree with mt; not in the front row. What about the Ashton brothers: they're eligible, aren't they? Or Keef?

I'm still not the biggest fan of Pearce, but can't see an alternative. Carney was great against the Bunnies last week, and seems to be really finding his feet at the Sharks. RF has shown glimpses of his old form this season (not so good last week; better the week before), and *ought* to get the gig.

End of the day, junior junior has the form on the board at the right time. No one else is putting their hand up for the 7.

& yeah, ideally you'd love to have Gal in the backrow BUT at this point my preferred choices up front are very young, and come that first hit up in Melbourne I'd much prefer Gallen takes it.

Come next year with Woods added to the mix, along with the likes of Tamou, Mannah, Sims (if you play him in front row), TLL, Tolman, Merrin and so forth we can safely push him back into position.

The depth is coming, but this year is a different story.

RF do you mean Farah?

Scored the first try, created the second, won the penalty that leveled the game, & kicked the winning field goal. The boy was single handedly responsible for every point we scored. How much more can you expect of him? He can't force the likes of Tquiri to catch the damn footy.

If I'm reading you right what would your starting backrow be? Or have I completely misread you?

If I was selecting it, the backrow would be Lewis, Gallen and Williams (assuming fitness). Watmough in for Williams if the latter is not fit.

I like that mix of edge runners, yards makers and mobility. Playing behind 2 genuine props, that line up actually worries me as a Qld fan.

I'm fairly positive that Gallen will play front row though which seems a waste to me. It also sends a mesaage that NSW concede that they can't match Qld's big forwards whereas I think they should be looking for players who will take Scott, Shillington etc head on and try and beat them. Win the battle up front first and then use the quality backrow. The best way of beating Qld up front is playing Gallen as a back rower, at least early on.

lol You want me to pretend I rate the retirement comp?

We can disagree on by how much but the ESL is of a lower standard. Thats a fact. Yes Danny has had an easier few years than he would have had he stayed home.

As for your other post. Get off the high horse champ, or you'll end up bitter like an un named poster on the board. I do get that you caught some cyber feelings over my non rating of the NRL reserve grade comp ;)

It was simply just a comment that regardless of whether Pearce is up to standard or not wont make a difference behind a beaten pack and I think your judgement on him is unfair, as with anyone who has played the last 6 years in the halves for the Blues given the pillows we select.

They have skirted around the real problems for far too long.

Give Pearce and co a decent pack to work behind and we might see some differences.

As for Leeds v Tigers. Don't be ridiculous. If they were man enough to play in Australia, we trounce them by 50+ but yes we'd likely get mugged under your conditions. It's a credit to the NRL and it's quality and closeness of the squads that a slight drop off by us resulting in losses each week.

Funny how the retirement comp keeps winning the WCC huh ;)

There's 7 or 8 decent teams in the ESL now, the other 6 or 7 are rubbish but can put in a good performance every couple of weeks.

I'd say there would be at least 8 maybe 9 teams in the ESL that would beat the eels atm. So they are not as rubbish as you like to spread about.

(no, you're not a troll at all lol)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back