Patersons Stadium (Subiaco Oval) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I very much doubt Subiaco council will pursue a redevelopment of the site. Simply because the MRA would control the planning. The Subiaco Council pursued legal action over the addition of a single level of residential that they didn't approve of, this was for a few lots on the Australian Fine China site. Complete muppets.

In saying that id love to see the ground stripped back to something small and elegent in nature, some land sold around the outside of it. Perhaps with some views over the ground.

Let Subiaco back in to play WAFL and the Subi and the Eagles enjoy new club facilities.

Sink the rail between Haydn Button drive and Loftus Street and redevelop all the land back towards Subiaco Rd.

So nobody actually knows what's going to happen to Subiaco Oval?

Sorry to use the example of other codes, but I kind of have to. Almost every single British soccer club plans for these things. Arsenal sold off Highbury for housing. Other clubs sell their old sites to shopping centre chains. Although unromantic, it's economically sensical. You kind of need that planning.

The last word was that it would be stripped down to a WAFL site which is hard to do because the decent parts are behind the goals at one end.

No way Kitchener Park will be turned over to housing - it's a park.

If they where willing to do that the new stadium would be in Wellington Square - a huge park and a short walk from the CBD.

If somehow they return to Subiaco they could return to the original idea and build N/S. They could build over the railway line and build 2/3 of the new stadium before demolishing any of the existing.

I think the grassy western end of Kitchener Park (which is effectively a carpark) could be used for housing as well as the carpark area on the northwest side of the ground near Haydn Bunton Drive. Nothing on a big scale really suits unless of course they decide to get rid of the entire ground which would be unlikely as I imagine West Coast (and maybe Subiaco) would like to to use it as a WAFL style training ground and on top of that you have the sentimentality factor. If they do decide to completely level it WCE could move to Claremont or Leederville Oval and share with one of the WAFL teams.

Sorry to use the example of other codes, but I kind of have to. Almost every single British soccer club plans for these things. Arsenal sold off Highbury for housing. Other clubs sell their old sites to shopping centre chains. Although unromantic, it's economically sensical. You kind of need that planning.

The point of the matter is the the City of Subiaco owns the oval...

Is it just me, but has the food taken a substantual step DOWN this year? there is a new vendor in, i cant rememeber their name, but all the stores (Bar CHicken Treat) have new branding. I saw a guy come back with a hot dog, and it was inedible.

What are food proces like at other grounds... 1 poweraid and 1 water $9.60.

s**t hole toilets. Only one ATM on my side of the oval.

Bring on buswood ASAP.

What to do with it after? Make it a car park for those working in Subi? parklands?

keep it for other AFL / WAFL games? WCE and Freo play in perth on the one wekeend? Might make some of the scheduling easier.

Is it just me, but has the food taken a substantual step DOWN this year? there is a new vendor in, i cant rememeber their name, but all the stores (Bar CHicken Treat) have new branding. I saw a guy come back with a hot dog, and it was inedible.

Bring on buswood ASAP.

What to do with it after? Make it a car park for those working in Subi? parklands?

keep it for other AFL / WAFL games? WCE and Freo play in perth on the one wekeend? Might make some of the scheduling easier.

The food at subi always sucked, always used to avoid it at Force games. It's disappointing especially when compared to nib Stadium where I actually look foward to the food. Woodfired pizza, murrtabak, and bratwurst, all at relatively reasonable prices ($15 for a pizza, $8 for the bratwurst, which is a little pricey but they aren't tiny by any means and they are definitely worth it). The other options are also there, hot dogs, chips stuff like that, pretty expensive but at least it's edible.

R160/180 - mixed use. 4/5 floors of residential over commercial. See centro for an idea.

Its inevitable. Its romantic to think that it will be retained as a footy ground but a chunk of land like that in Subi is far too valuable to be under-utilised as an ammos ground... that barely gets 500 people every other week. SCC / redevelopment authority might spend a fortune to try it out for a while, but it will get dozed once they realise its a flop and need to recoup, nothing surer.

Football still has the lease on Subiaco.
They aren't going to release that unless they get the desired controll of the new stadium. This has always been the problem especially with cricket in SA, NSW, QLD and Vic.
Cricket controll is not the problem here but the Barnett government is reluctant to give the necessary controll to football.

I was just wondering, did Subiaco ever have grass banks? and if so when?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I was just wondering, did Subiaco ever have grass banks? and if so when?

Any help would be much appreciated.

highly doubt it, it's in a relatively flat area and the field isn't sunken (i don't thing anyway)

Here's some old pictures of the ground

005768d.jpg

subi_aa.jpg

011729d.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Subi used to look like a nice suburban ground. Weird.

Was that old grandstand ever Heritage Listed? It certainly looks nice, but it's unimaginable to see it sitting at the current Patersons Stadium...

Subi used to look like a nice suburban ground. Weird.

Was that old grandstand ever Heritage Listed? It certainly looks nice, but it's unimaginable to see it sitting at the current Patersons Stadium...

The 3 tier stand?

Yep, the one above.

Does anyone know what block 323 is like? I left my tickets a little late. It was restricted view, single seating, or tickets with the cheer squad (*cringe*). I'm in row Q if that's any help. It's the block underneath the light toward, toward the Subiaco end. When I bought the tickets at uni this morning, the Ticketmaster booklet said the 'restricted view' was "Underneath light tower; Roof overhang". I'm guessing this is light pollution and the possibility of my view being obstructed by the ANZ/NAB/whatever-it's-called Stand? This is for the Fremantle – Carlton game.

Best place to watch the footy at Subi thru the 60s & 70s was 'between the stands', a grassed bank.
Between the public stand & the WANFL Members stand, the only stands before the 3 tier went up.

when did that 3 tier stand go up?

my first memory of subi was a 2003 Rugby World Cup game, georgia v samoa to be exact.

Bring on buswood ASAP.

I noted they made the urinal into the waterless ones. I suspect this is because they were having trouble with water supply to flush the seated toilets during peak periods.

I haven't been to subi in a while and I was wondering do they still have those bench seats? I remember going to a wallabies game in 2006 or 7 and I was in the 2 tier of the 3rd tier stand and there was bench seats.

Have they been replaced yet?

I sit near the TAB and there was a Bratwurst stand below that used to do some pretty good hotdogs. It has now been replaced with a generic Subiaco Stadium hotdog stand. My mate had one and said it was crap. The worst thing about it though was the smoke. The old Bratwurst stand didn't produce any. This new one had the whole underground area clogged up with visably hazy smelly bbq smoke.

Didn't think it was possible to go any further backwards at this s**t stadium but they keep finding ways.

I haven't been to subi in a while and I was wondering do they still have those bench seats? I remember going to a wallabies game in 2006 or 7 and I was in the 2 tier of the 3rd tier stand and there was bench seats.

Have they been replaced yet?

They're still there, nothing's changed. That's why many people stand at the breaks and immediately after the game, to relieve the numbness in their arses. Then, if you happen to clap, like happened with Mark Harvey recently, it becomes a standing ovation, rather that just clapping whilst standing.

If you're lucky enough to get too many fatties sitting in your row, the space allocated to you via the painted white lines on the backrest shrinks, so just sitting involves more physical contact than a Melbourne player may encounter during a game. Premium Gold is what my seat is classified as, they're obviously taking the piss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back