Tinkler hands in Jets Licence

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't Tinkler stop all funding and just let the club die if he cant legally hand back the license?

Does not look good. Feels like the NSL all over again

Yep.

I thought the A League was about making a sustainable football competition in Australia. It seems to have gone over Bukley's and Lowy's respective heads that to achieve this you need to give clubs time to form solid identities - done through supporting sides through thick and thin. I didn't jump on the Heart bandwagon because I felt like Victory was a secure side to support - one with an identity and a future.

This is something very few sides have.

GCU were meant to be a sure thing, but they died at the hands of a greedy owner. NQF were always going to be second best in that expansion, but instead of supporting them and giving them 5-10 years; the powers that be pulled the plug.

At the current time, Victory and Sydney seem to be the only clubs that have assured long term futures. Coincidence? No. That's because there is a huge, diverse population in these cities where football fans are ripe for the picking. Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane are helped by the FFA because they are one-state teams. Clubs like Heart, Phoenix, WS and the Mariners could find themselves in real trouble if they start to lose momentum.

The A League is do damn focussed on penetrating the market short term that they've left a series of carnage behind. They're on the verge of having alienated 4 groups of fans now and they aren't giving themselves a good image.

Thankfully, it seems odds on that the Jets will survive one way or another.

But he can't find anyone to hand it to...

FFA says Tinkler must keep Jets licence

Contracted to 2020, doesn't mean much if the club is making losses.

You can't expect Jets to continue to trade if their financial position doesn't allow it. Nathan Tinkler despite being a billionaire shouldn't be expected to put his hands in his pocket to keep the Jets afloat. Unless the FFA increase their grants to A-League clubs so they are able to trade profitable then they have nothing to stand on in court if they want sue Tinkler for not honoring the FFA license contract.

I don't find it at coincidental that the last two teams to fold gold coast and north Queensland are right near where the gold coast suns have been formed.
Newcastle are now in strife. And they are creating a new west Sydney franchise to replace the lost gold coast one. They don't realise how much money the afl and sponsors will be pumping into the giants in that state. There isn't infinite money in nsw. Soccer won't be able to replicate that.
Ben Buckley should know better, he was andy d's right hand man for a while there.
I think they fail basic 1st year economics. Supply and Demand.
Australia demand no more than 6 teams (SA, Vic, NSW, QLD, WA & NZ) Playing in a 15-20 game season that starts and finishes in the AFL offseason.
At the moment we get near on double that at full tote price when there is no where near the demand. No wonder it fails. Its governance are stupid. They all want to be the first to strike a blow to the almighty AFL when they dont realise that being a stable succesful competition is also a first for the game in this country too.

The Suns are every chance to fail in the Gold Coast. It's no coincidence rugby and football have fallen, the region just isn't into this type of sport to sustain a team at the moment.

The Giants will have a far more assured future.

The Suns are every chance to fail in the Gold Coast. It's no coincidence rugby and football have fallen, the region just isn't into this type of sport to sustain a team at the moment.

The Giants will have a far more assured future.

Wouldnt count on that mate.

There are quite a few Vics and SA people that go up to the GC to retire.
They have an interest in the AFL and could likely help make them survive.

Throw in the fact that they will be very successful through the mid-late part of the decade and i think their future is assured.

yer its all a conspiriacy. Lowry is an AFL mole too, as is Tinkler, as is julia gillard and the 8m just handed to West Sydney.

The issue does not require conspiriacy theorists. ITs pretty simple. Tinkler is a business man with a business that is losing money, and has recently found out teh FFA overcharged him for the licence. He has every right to be utterly outraged by the bare faced greed of the FFA...and the duplicitity it involves. In business, you simply do not let people get away with that kind of thing. If it was a 'club' maybe there is more emotion involved: but as a business transcation in its most pure sense, Tinkler is calling the FFA's bluff. You've ripped me off; now watch me return the favour.

The FFA is just reaping what it sowed here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Suns are every chance to fail in the Gold Coast. It's no coincidence rugby and Soccer have fallen, the region just isn't into this type of sport to sustain a team at the moment.

But Football has AFL dollars behind it to sustain the Suns for as long as they need, Soccer fell because of mismanagment (Palmer) and Soccers lack of support on the Gold Coast

Im in complete shock about this, terrible news :(

Tinkler seemed like he could be the best owner in the league because he kept his mouth shut and did it for the community.

Getting over 10,000 members and having a crowd average higher than Sydney showed he was connecting with the community.
If the side was top 4 crowds of 15,000 regularly wouldn't have been out of the question.

I really hope this gets resolved asap

Relax mate. I was joking.

yer , Iknow, but you cant help but rant when you think about the hypocracy of the FFA telling Tinkler to 'do the right thing' by soccer: ie 'Live up to the spirit of the agreement' ...when the root of the problem is the FFA making an utterly bad faith deal with him in the first place.

Surely they knew that if this got out they would have some serious explaning to do, didnt they? Trying to take the moral high ground on this issue, by calling in both the letter and spirit of the licence terms is ludicrous.

I partly suspect this issue will be patched up by FFA caving in and paying back some of that licence fee (though the transaction may be disguised in some way for PR purposes).

They're clearly hanging in there for their next TV rights deal - to start for the 2013/14 season, and the 2015 Asian Cup just around the corner.

I'd find it hard to believe that there could be any great increase on the last deal with the way they're going!

They're clearly hanging in there for their next TV rights deal - to start for the 2013/14 season, and the 2015 Asian Cup just around the corner.

I'd find it hard to believe that there could be any great increase on the last deal with the way they're going!

The only thing they have going for them now is:
-5 games a week (could potentially be 6 if the deal is done extremely well)
-West Sydney market for tv audience
-Socceroos are more estsablished than they were 7 years ago

Clive Palmer just tweeted

Clive Palmer@CliveFPalmer

"FFA's threat of legal action against Nathan Tinkler is just laughable. Disgrace FFA dumped 2 Qld clubs for another southern team"

Clive Palmer just tweeted

Clive Palmer@CliveFPalmer

"FFA's threat of legal action against Nathan Tinkler is just laughable. Disgrace FFA dumped 2 Qld clubs for another southern team"

And this is news because? Palmer may have more cash than he can poke a stick at but he is well and truly in the raving lunatic bin.

Old Clivey boy would be loving this whole thing.

On a side note, the A-league HQ havent given themselves much time to get this West Sydney expansion team up and running for nect season. At least the Newcastle players will have an option of going their.

Wouldn't mind signing James Brown for PGFC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back