Nostradamus Lives Is it beyond the realms of possibility for the AFL to cover up a drug incident involving a player

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Is it beyond the realms of possibility for the AFL to cover up a drug incident involving a playe

Yep and now he is the poster boy/face of the AFL, they really are treading a fine line doing this...

It will all come out one day but just reinforces the fact that the AFL is not a democracy and it is not fair and it is run by a dictator Andy D whose goal is to make as much $ as possible mostly through TV rights deals.

Pretty much.

Lips are getting looser though.

Re: Is it beyond the realms of possibility for the AFL to cover up a drug incident involving a playe

I don't think AFL medico's would quit if the AFL had in place a policy where by someone who tested positive multiple times to illicit drugs would receive help from the medical fraternity for the condition. Just wondering why you think that would make them quit? As I would think they are required to care about health and welfare of player "x" and not so much about the game itself? As I think the confidentiality says nothing about cover ups but just that a player should not be dragged through the mud publicly for having a personal battle with drugs as part of the agreement by the AFLPA to do the testing.

Also I cant recall (and not sure if memory serves) but I remeber Demetriou being asked about if a player has had a 3rd strike and he said no. But the questioning went further (think it was Mike Sheehan on the couch) and asked would it be made known if a player had a 3rd strike and Demetriou was very dismissive and said something about that not being part of the illicit drug policy ie. naming and shaming. Maybe someone else saw or remembers?

But would think that any AFL employee that deals with this subject would be bound by the AFLPA confidentiality and any medico's dealing with this issue no matter who they are employed by care more about the well being of the person involved and not the game itself. I could see medico's getting up in arms if the AFL had no policy to the 3rd strike and just told them to keep it hush while not offering the player any help.
This is the drug policy (or site contains the policy):
http://www.afl.com.au/*****/aflplayerssaynotodrugs/tabid/12211/default.aspx

It says if third strike is recieved they face the tribunal and the AFL Medial Commissioners are the ones that get the details. If they receive the information that the player gets the third strike, take it to the league and the league says they are covering it up, they would have the choice/s to a) Resign position b) Go public (could do it without names) c) Go along with the cover up and face any repercussions that would come from that.

This is the drug policy (or site contains the policy):
http://www.afl.com.au/*****/aflplayerssaynotodrugs/tabid/12211/default.aspx

It says if third strike is recieved they face the tribunal and the AFL Medial Commissioners are the ones that get the details. If they receive the information that the player gets the third strike, take it to the league and the league says they are covering it up, they would have the choice/s to a) Resign position b) Go public (could do it without names) c) Go along with the cover up and face any repercussions that would come from that.

The link didn't work.
But given what you have stated above I still don't see why the medico's and the AFL would not see eye to eye on this? I can see the medico's getting nasty if the AFL wanted it kept quiet and the player to receive no help with the condition, but once the AFL say "ok he has tested positive multiple times and needs help, what can we do for him?" then the medico's would do their job. Not sure where the "have to make it known to the public" has come from?
As what you have said above does not say anything about it having to enter the public realm? So only if the medico's had a problem with the way the AFL were handling the tests then there would be an issue. However the AFL have hired these people to oversee and give expert opinion and guidance on the matter so how the medical fraternity could see this as bad is a bit bewildering.

On the bolded bit as long as they help a troubled person medically not sure what they are covering up and what repercussions they face? They are doctors, if someone has an issue they are required to help. That is all. I don't think they are required to inform the media of a 3rd strike, and if they don't I cant see what law they would be breaking?

it isnt that impossible, as we know, demetriou will do anything to succeed

i heard a rumour that several players were on performance enhancing drugs back in 2008, and were waxing head to toe in order to avoid a hair test, but that is just a rumour

He is undertaking the AFL's 'drug program' and therefore can test positive to drug tests every week and face no consequences. He has a free ride.

Let's say you are telling the truth about this player ... has he actually been tested by the AFL while on 2 strikes and when he would likely have drugs in his system?

Yep and now he is the poster boy/face of the AFL, they really are treading a fine line doing this...

It will all come out one day but just reinforces the fact that the AFL is not a democracy and it is not fair and it is run by a dictator Andy D whose goal is to make as much $ as possible mostly through TV rights deals.

Since when does any large organisation purport to being a democracy?

As I understand it , the 3 XXX is all related to personal non performance related drug use. The purpose of the testing was mainly player welfare but underlying that is AFL and the clubs rep.

So if a player is on XX , enters counseling and has a relapse/s , if the professionals still think the player can be rehabilitated then they would recommend that privacy should be maintained. Once a player is on XX , is he target tested? How often is he tested? What personnel at the clubs are told on XX?

Im not sure how much faith Id have in these pros , one looks at Cousins and one wouldn't be convinced about the passive route.I suspect there is a point where a players welfare would be overridden if the administrators of this system feel that rehab is not working, if his activities are likely to bring negative attention to comp or club then the XXX will come into play. The probable damage to the AFL will be offset by the evidence of its attempt to help and they will be forthright in its sincere care for for his health that can only improve away from the game. One can only surmise that the better the player , the more likely they would be to be tolerant of indiscretions.

So the issue is almost Fev like.( not that Fev was drugs) Any player that feels its impossible to get XXX and the consequences of that , are playing with fire. They are gambling their behavior can be offset against playing skill. If his behavior gets him involved in something that crosses the line he is gone.(Tuck).Im sure if we ask Paramedics , they would say overdoes are common every weekend. If he can tread the fine line with behavior he will survive as long as he is worth the potential issue to AFL and club. This has a shelf life , ask Fev.

It seems that the op, and most people who post on this site for that matter, clearly don't understand anything about the AFL drug policy.

Buddy Hell that would never happen. Ever.

More chance of Franklin becoming a Full Back
He was using that as an example I think

I tend to agree - id it was a top player eg Franklin, Ablett, Judd, Brown, Swan etc. I can see them doing that

He was using that as an example I think

I tend to agree - id it was a top player eg Franklin, Ablett, Judd, Brown, Swan etc. I can see them doing that
Do people here realise the consequences of the AFL knowing and doing nothing about players who have 3 strikes against their names.

It would be one of the biggest scandals to come out of any sport worldwide these posters who claim to know about these things the onus is on them to name a few names if they dare,but as has been shown so far they are happy to snipe behind closed doors,if as they claimed they know names named them and then we can all watch them being crucified as they are quite happy to do to others from the sidelines.

Of course they would. The same if a large number of players of a premiership team tested positive to a stimulate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do people here realise the consequences of the AFL knowing and doing nothing about players who have 3 strikes against their names.

Dude, give up. I tried logic. Logic has no place in this post. Its a post to allow people to throw mud with no evidence!

I cant speak for the current era but the 1990's? yep I believe it happened. It occured around the sametime as the NRL was was shooting itself in the foot (pardon the pun) with positive tests. Couldn't have one of the games young characters looking like a roid user now could we, best we only string up a goodlooking earnest young fella who just wanted to get back out on the park after an injury. No mother could begrudge that.

As far as nowadays Im sceptical that the AFL would go to those lengths but I cant see why it would be that difficult to cover up a third strike.

Is it my imagination or are the Hawthorn supporters in this thread being quite defensive and overly quick to point out why the op's question could never happen ....

Is it my imagination or are the Hawthorn supporters in this thread being quite defensive and overly quick to point out why the op's question could never happen ....

It's because plebs with nothing better to do, like smearing certain Hawthorn players reputation relentlessly. Complete and utter lies.

Hypothetically, would you like it, if a whole heap of complete strangers who knew nothing but your name, started anonymously posting that you were a drug addict/user/cheat all over the internet for your friends, wife and family to see? It's a ****ing farce and ***** who do such things should be held accountable IMO.

Of course it's not beyond the realms of possibility, and IMO it has already happened numerous times. We all know how well the AFL dictate their own terms.
I don't beleive Travis Tuck would've been given his 3rd strike if not for the cops finding him passed out in his car.

Here's the thing though people, and please read the bolded bit carefully...

Players do drugs.

All AFL clubs have players who do drugs.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in a fantasy land.

I know there will be people here who want to throw stones and single out clubs like West Coast and Hawthorn, but as long as AFL lists are made up of virile young men, with plenty of money to spare, every single supporter is living in a glass house.

There will always be rumours, so much so, the one that everyone seems so excited to be hinting at in this thread has been rolling around since 2007. "He's done his 3rd strike...it will break soon, it'll be massive news" or "He's done 3 strikes, they're just covering it up cos he's popular". I've heard that one, had it text to me, read emails, seen it hinted at on BF for the best part of 5 years.

The other thing you should ask yourself, is "What does it matter to me if Player A snorts a line of crack every Saturday night?".

I don't really care. They can do what they like. As long as it's not effecting their performance, I don't give a s**t, and I don't really understand why anyone else should.

Players do drugs.

All AFL clubs have players who do drugs.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in a fantasy land.

I don't really care. They can do what they like. As long as it's not effecting their performance, I don't give a s**t, and I don't really understand why anyone else should.

I'm with you (and this has nothing to do with any club allegiances)

If they're on steroids, I want them banned for life.

If they're found with masking agents for steroids, I want them banned, if it can't be plausibly explained.

If they're done for things that the rest of us probably have done, or do on a regular basis, I couldn't care less, and would expect them to have the same rights as every other citizen. i.e. if you are breaking the law, you are subject to the authority of the law as applied by the police, not your employer.

Echols is worth listening to, people

The whole idea that the League would cover up a third test is quite ludicrous. Publicizing a third test and it's a player and club issue; it's a scandal for a couple of months, a report gets written but everyone moves on and there is a nice tale of redemption to told .

Get caught covering it up and it's a steaming pile off s**t sitting in Vlad's lap. WADA sanctions, Commonwealth support in jeopardy. Heads roll and a testing regime instituted that will make every coke head in the league weep gently into their pillow.

I saw a 'delicious' type of player out at Melbourne Central a few weeks ago who was definitely on the drugs..

Lets be Frank, this would never happen

I saw a 'delicious' type of player out at Melbourne Central a few weeks ago who was definitely on the drugs..

Stop being absolute ********s and just say it straight. Ted, you are accusing Franklin of being on drugs. That's what you are trying to imply. Prem, you are accusing Rioli of being on drugs. Other people implying Collingwood or Geelong were on stimulants.

Great stuff heroes, I will imply someone is on drugs but I will say it vaguely to save my soft ass so I can't get sued/because it is hilarious/Da Vinci code. Goes for all those people on the first page as well. Didn't read the other pages.

Honestly, either come out and say exactly what you are trying to say, I'm sure if those blokes were on drugs, they wouldn't bother suing you for defamation, and if you are talking out of your arse, then you would get what you deserve.

/rant

On topic, it isn't beyond the realms of possibility, but I think the AFL would also look at it as an opportunity to prove that their drug testing works, and they make players accountable. Bad press for the player/club, but the AFL would get a significant 'win' regarding peoples views, as they are seen to be soft on drugs. Not only that, it is a massive thing to risk your job for. The player stuffed up, they made the mistakes, they have to cop the punishment. Why would the ones in charge at the AFL put themselves in a scenario with huge consequences?

I wouldn't be overly surprised if there has been cover ups, but it is a massive risk to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back