Team vs Gold Coast [Round 3] - Too many changes to list

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodness me, Winderlich is out with a hammy!!!

Dyson is regularly in the bests for Bendigo and despite my concerns on Reimers attitude and Davey's fumbling they will be good attacking players that will probably turn an 8 goal win into a 15 goal win.

Also I get the feeling Hooker will play. Clearly a best 22 player, so why name him as an emergency. Either he is fit enough to play and in the side or he has a week off or takes it easy in the VFL. Maybe the club didn't want to name 6 changes!!!

These injuries are a bit of a bugger coming up to the hardest stretch we have in the first half of the season though. Especially seeing Carlton seem to be getting everyone back. Beating three so so to nothing sides then losing to two top 4 sides will leave us still knowing not much about the season ahead after 5 rounds.

I actually think it is a sign of our developing depth that I like some of the forced changes and still feel really positive. It will help that it is only GC but I still think we could play a better side and come out with a win with this line up.

Comparing like with like swaps (where possible):

Hocking for Lonergan (Positive)
Dyson for NLM (50/50 for mine)
Reimers for Myers (50/50)
Davey for McVeigh (potential positive with increased pace and tackling pressure) Bellchambers for Hille (50/50 - prob slight negative but I rate TBell highly)

So 5 changes for a net result IMHO.. I just really love what the Bombers are cooking!

You find that relevant after Saturday's game against Port?

It is relevant when we have 48 players on this list - 22 play for EFC and 6 play for Bendigo - That equals 28 players.

20 players have gone missing.

Don't mind the changes, except for Davey. IMO he adds nothing to the team. He is absolutely clueless with the ball in his hands. Yes he has good defensive pressure, but put a young player in that has a point to prove and their defensive pressure will be just as good.

And to whoever said Fletch should be rested against Collingwood because it is a less important game than Carlton...... Ummmm..... What? Seriously?

Jeebus there is a lot of rubbish being written about Davey in this thread. Yes he isn't the player many thought he would be after bursting onto the scene in 07. However, he isn't rubbish or clueless with the ball. His only problems have been not really have clean enough hands, which is a surprise for someone so short. Of course his height and previous injury concerns are also a problem. If he was to miraculously clean up his ball handling skills we'd have a very good small forward on our hands as he kick more goals to go with his blistering pace and great tackling pressure.

Everyone seems to be saying bring in a youngster for a davey, dyson, reimers, but who, which youngster, These three especially Dyson have consistently been in bendigos best, Not so much davey but I'd take him as a small froward over spike any day at least he offers pace, pressure and goals.

The only exeption I could have thought who warranted a game would have been Davis has he is a medium sized player who could potentially replace NLM or Myers.

FYI Reimers just turned 23, that's still young, with just over 50 games experience. Everyone just seems to have an obsession with playing debutants each week

Re: Gold Coast vs Essendon (14/04/2012)

Why do Essendon keep picking blokes that are barely up to AFL standard, surely playing against Gold Coast would have been the ideal time to try some of the younger blokes. We already know what we're getting with the likes of Davey, Dyson and Reimers.
Irks me as well - Davis in particular (all the others are frigging injured!!)

Dyson, Riemers, Davey for NLM, Myers, McVeigh
That's 3 short-ish, outside guys - two forward only and one back/midfield -
for
3 inside guys, 2 tall-ish one short, only one of whom can play outside.

Last year we followed the same sort of pattern, started out with a lot of grunt (Lonergan in, alonside Hocking/Watson etc etc) and as the year went on we were forced to go lighter & more outside (Prismall came in, Dyson, Ross etc etc).

I know the injuries aren't helping us here, but we need to build towards a list where like comes in for like - we're short at least one bigger, inside type.

Reimers has played a bit of midfield for Bendigo, plus Monfries or Jetta might be asked to take on more there for this game.

Doesn't seem hugely unusual to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the balance of talls, runners and inside players is as good as it has been. It seems that the selection of this side is horses for courses. I'll side with Slattery_20 again and voice concern that we have lost one hard bodied mid which must be added to the sides that take on Carlton and Collingwood.

While Davis seems the best replacement for Myers there doesn't seem to be too many match ups for taller defenders this week. This is probably emphasised by the decision not to bring Hooker in - that he will probably only play a half in the VFL in preparation for rounds 4 and 5 seems logical.

As for Dyson, he is perfect for this situation. He showed last year that he is more than capable of playing a role at AFL level without us loosing out on his inclusion (like a club does 8/10 times when it plays an under developed youngster). He certainly isn't the future but, for a side that has two big matches in the next three weeks, he is cover and the best inclusion we have for the positions he plays to enable us to win the two difficult matches in rounds 4 & 5.

If this week is as easy as we know it is going to be then the arguments about exposing our kids to "AFL speed/pressure" are basically redundant anyway.

The more I think about it the more I think that this week will be battle between Reimers and Davey for first opportunity in the small forward role (in the event that Spike is injured longer term or ends up too out of form to play). Next week one should loose his spot to Spike/Lonergan as we will need the added grunt.

In summing up, very happy with selections for this week only.

To me, we needed either Hooker or Davis. I'd be happy enough with someone like Davis (/Myers) pinch-hitting this game, Dyson's a whole other matter.

I'm not specifically arguing against any one of the inclusions, I just see the inclusions as a whole leave us a little short and light.

like the changes, all things considered.

Looks like a specific addressing of our biggest concern/weakness so far this season, no forward pressure and getting killed on that subsequent rebound/midfield spread. At least these 3 can have the natural leg speed not be waltzed around like witches hats.

I know norf kicked 3 of their first 4 goals from turnovers inside our forward 50, I wonder what this stat is up to after 8 quarters?

McVeigh's 2 tackles thus far this season will not be missed.

I don't mind the Dyson selection, I think he will be the sub and is more than handy in that role. His ball use is above average which is something we can use whether he plays down back or on a wing.

I don't have a problem with Reimers. For this lad it is all about attitude and if he brings the right attitude there is no reason why he can't be best 22. He is maturing, or at least should be, so hopefully this season we will see a change in fortunes for him. It is completely up to him to take the opportunity and deliver on the talent which he obviously has.

Davey is the question mark but he has runs on the board and the match committee must want to see Del do more before he is selected. You know with Davey he will always put in a defensive effort which will never go astray.

T-Bell and Hocking are obvious.

At first glance I wasn't a fan of the changes but having time to think about them, they're fine from my perspective.

I'd expect one of Davey, Dyson or Reimers to be dropped against the Blues, Lonergan should come back in straight away. Hopefully the pressure to retain their position sees these 3 pull out all the stops.

Are these selections about the coaching group giving all the guys who have been at the club a while a shot to make themselves apart of the 22 if they are good enough and don't grab it, then we will see the likes of Davis, Del and whoever else warrents a chance at the seniors.
that is my line of thinking

There was one I didn't recognise so maybe Davis? Haven't seen Ricky Dyson, Brent Stanton, Heath Hocking or Ben Howlett either. Saw a few at the departure entrance and the bulk walked past my gate on the way to theirs. I would've missed some.

F*** me Tom Bellchambers is a big bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back