All Australian
Jul 8, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Re: Kreuzer vs Ryder???

Been very happy with Ryder this year, I assume Carlton have been happy with Kruezer as he has looked pretty good.

I like Ryder because he can play 3 spots, 2 well (ruck & CHB) and is improving at the third (CHF).

Both freaks, not sure I would swap one for the other though.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Win Win, both are guns, they would compliment each other perfectly if they played in the same team.

Career wise its debatable, as people have rightfully pointed out Ryder is very hot and cold.

Basing it on this year is a bit premature, its two games old and anything could happen - I would think most would agree however that in those two games Ryder has likely been the form ruckman of the competition (or very near to it).

I don't think either clubs supporters would want to swap for the other, and I also think both clubs supporters appreciate that both are quality players.

In my opinion, Ryder has displayed a higher ceiling than Kreuzer, and for that reason he gets my vote.

Yabba

All Australian
Jul 8, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Biggest thing Ryder has shown all year, including NAB (becasue 2 games isn't enough) is a big lift in his intensity around the contest. That was always my question mark over him, not talent or ability but his want to be involved all the time.

Teeko

Senior List
Feb 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea, 49ers
No he hasn't.

Ryder kicks more goals than Kreuzer and has the ability to dominate in the ruck at a higher level than him and has more athletic gifts. So I think he has shown a higher ceiling, but not consistency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Old Skool

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Kruezer is more talented and all things being equal is the better footballer.*

*Claims of anti - Essendon bias will be dismissed as infantile drivel. I judge footballers on percieved ability. Period.

The Gospel

Senior List
Feb 6, 2007
d
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any ruckman who can go forward, take a mark and kick goals is worth a lot for any team. Both players are capable of doing this.

HighettBomber

All Australian
Jul 18, 2007
Highett
AFL Club
Essendon

*Claims of anti - Essendon bias will be dismissed as infantile drivel. I judge footballers on percieved ability. Period.

I would be interested to hear how you reached this conclusion. Is Kruezer quicker, does he jump higher, win more hit outs, tap to advantge more efectively, take more marks, kick more goals, does he have better endurance, where exactly is he better or more talented?

Pfft, anti-Essendon bias.....

lamaros

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah thats why I like the IMO part.

Ryder has been a far better ruckman, Kreuzer gets more disposals.

And on and on.

Goes back and forth, thread gets ruined.

Actually... no. Ryder gets more of, well, nearly everything.

Code:
Player		Team	K		D		CP		M		CM		HO		CL		FF		T		1%		G		GA
 	 	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG
Patrick Ryder	ESS	175	7.6	293	12.7	164	7.1	111	4.8	34	1.5	329	14.3	35	1.5	31	1.3	66	2.9	99	4.3	27	1.2	18	0.8
Matthew Kreuzer	CARL	66	5.5	140	11.7	84	7.0	27	2.3	12	1.0	148	12.3	19	1.6	18	1.5	44	3.7	41	3.4	7	0.6	6	0.5

Disposal Efficiency is also Ryder's: 75% to 65%

I would be interested to hear how you reached this conclusion. Is Kruezer quicker, does he jump higher, win more hit outs, tap to advantge more efectively, take more marks, kick more goals, does he have better endurance, where exactly is he better or more talented?

Kreuzer gets more tackles?

Belltower

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Bit unfair to use last years stats, kreuzer was nowhere near full fitness, even though ryder had an average year. 2 games in too early to say they are having breakout years. Ryder is clearly a better tap ruckman but kreuzer is better around the ground, ryder is a better forward and more versatile but lacks consistency. Both are good players with improvement to come and I would be happy for them to come to the eagles as 2nd ruckman/fwd when cox retires.

Nov 20, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea, Melbourne City, OKC
Ryder- 24 years old

Kreuzer- 22 years old.

Let's not forget Kreuzer did an ACL... Not the best injuries to get in your career. So he's younger, and has had 1 year less development (due to the knee).

I'm a big fan of Ryder, seems to be a confidence player to me.

I just think Kreuzer has a lot more development in him and a higher ceiling. Whether he reaches that ceiling is up to Matt.

End of the day, any club in the comp would take either player in an instant.

Amazing Bombers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Ryder- 24 years old

Kreuzer- 22 years old.

Let's not forget Kreuzer did an ACL... Not the best injuries to get in your career. So he's younger, and has had 1 year less development (due to the knee).

I'm a big fan of Ryder, seems to be a confidence player to me.

I just think Kreuzer has a lot more development in him and a higher ceiling. Whether he reaches that ceiling is up to Matt.

End of the day, any club in the comp would take either player in an instant.

Good post, both are potentially gun players.

Really tough to call this early in the year.

Both are strong marks overhead, Kreuzer can go forward, Ryder can go forward and back; both get high amounts of hitouts to advantage. I ampicking Kreuzer solely on his consistency but its a really tough decision

lamaros

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Can Kreuzer kick a banana from 55?

Kreuzer is about to turn 23, and Ryder just turned 24. They're just over a year apart.

DVD Player

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Ryder was good in a sloppy contest that would have been tough for a tall bloke. Kicked a couple of nice goals and continued to compete and try hard in the contests despite the team seeming somewhat deflated at times.

Oliver09

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
berwick
AFL Club
Essendon
Kreuzer could only dream of doing some of the things that Ryder can. The goal Ryder kicked tonight is an example of that. Krueuzer would've kicked to the top of the square or had a shot with a drop punt & hoped for the best. As for high leaping marks its a no contest, Ryder every day of the week. The only ruckman in the comp who has Ryder covered as an athlete is Natanui.

However if you want a player who will do most things right & be a consistent performer Kruezer is the man. He's no athletic freak, he just does pretty much everything you want a ruckman forward to do well. Ryders highs a great but his lows are dreadful & last for weeks on end. Kreuzer has seemed to be headed in the right direction his whole career, the knee injury being a disruption obviously. He battled a bit last year coming back but has started the year well & he will keep improving. The 1 thing I doubt he could do that Ryder has in the past is hold down CHB, but Kruezer was recruited to ruck & kick goals so I wouldn't hold that against him.

Back