mojito

misfortune comes in threes...
Feb 21, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adel. Utd, Manc. Utd, Molde FK
Loved the accurate reporting on ABC sport earlier.

Opened their program and within 20 seconds they were talking about the dropping out of Newc from the competition.

Clueless.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Loved the accurate reporting on ABC sport earlier.

Opened their program and within 20 seconds they were talking about the dropping out of Newc from the competition.

Clueless.
As unfortunate misreporting is for the league, who's to blame? There is a media 'preference' in terms of sport. But this is indicative only of a) the journalists expressing their opinions, and b) the audience. In New South Wales, NRL will get the nice pieces, in Victoria, the AFL. It is the way it is.

Yet we, as the footballing community of Australia, can't feel victimised. Nor can the FFA.

The FFA have been ridiculous in their conduct.

Tony Sage has tried to do the right thing. He's the owner of a club. He came out and petitioned to the FFA. On behalf of owners, fans, players, and competition, he said more engagement was necessary. Yet this plea was peripheral to the awareness of Lowy and Buckley. They let the comments slide by. It is laughable. How can you take these guys seriously?

The ABC reporting the death of the Jets isn't born out of thin air. In three seasons, three franchises have been deserted. It's sincerely more surprising (to these outlets, and probably the greater community) if these clubs stay afloat. But this is the doing of the FFA.

It seems the FFA is disillusioned about what the A-League should be. The Crawford Report has been ignored entirely. This league has been successful: The standard of play is much better, young Australian footballers are making more money and becoming better players, crowds are up, and more fan engagement is occurrent. Yet these assets have not been consolidated. It's a shame. Rather that strategically grow the game, whilst maintain the success of the first few seasons, it's been rash decision after poor decision. The inclusion of unnecessary sides in poor markets; owners deserting franchises; and overall, the terrible image the competition now has.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Looks like Tinkler is ****ed, signed an eight year commercial agreement. I imagine his best option would be to negotiate an out of court settlement with the FFA. What I don't understand is why he would pull the pin now with Newcastle pulling 12k crowds and a membership base of 10k Newcastle pretty much pay for themselves. One theory going around is Tinkler used the Jets as leverage to obtain the Knights and now not wanting the Jets since HSG'S Knights takeover. Either way Tinkler's legal position is untenable.

You really are a dill.

Am I mate?

I don't see why the AFL is guaranteed in a market that has rejected two football codes already.

Odds on that Andy's bottomless pit of money will get them over the line long term, but people won't just magically like the sport

fairdinkum

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Road to nowhere
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Am I mate?

I don't see why the AFL is guaranteed in a market that has rejected two football codes already.

Odds on that Andy's bottomless pit of money will get them over the line long term, but people won't just magically like the sport

You claimed that GC17 was 'every chance to fail'. That is nonsense. If Brisbane didn't fail back when the VFL administration was not much more than an amateur body trying to run a semi-professional organisation then it won't happen to the Gold Coast now.

You also claimed that GWS is more secure than GC17. Now that is absolute madness.

Jan 30, 2012
Midnight Sea
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cronulla Sharks
Looks like Tinkler is ****ed, signed an eight year commercial agreement. I imagine his best option would be to negotiate an out of court settlement with the FFA. What I don't understand is why he would pull the pin now with Newcastle pulling 12k crowds and a membership base of 10k Newcastle pretty much pay for themselves. One theory going around is Tinkler used the Jets as leverage to obtain the Knights and now not wanting the Jets since HSG'S Knights takeover. Either way Tinkler's legal position is untenable.

It's all showmanship and brinksmanship. I wouldn't be surprised if his actions were heavily influenced by Big Clive Palmer.

You are quite correct about his legal position. I wouldn't be surprised if he aquired the Jets just so the HSG could buy the Knights NRL franchise.

ErnieSigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You claimed that GC17 was 'every chance to fail'. That is nonsense. If Brisbane didn't fail back when the VFL administration was not much more than an amateur body trying to run a semi-professional organisation then it won't happen to the Gold Coast now.
Brisbane isn't the Gold Coast. The main reason why I see any football code failing in the Gold Coast is because it's a souless, image conscience place. The AFL have more money to pump into it but I doubt its bottomless.

Puddy

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ade.Utd.SOCCER club
Am I mate?

Football is more likely to make it then Soccer is in the northern states

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane isn't the Gold Coast. The main reason why I see any football code failing in the Gold Coast is because it's a souless, image conscience place. The AFL have more money to pump into it but I doubt its bottomless.

Correct in my opinion

fairdinkum

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Road to nowhere
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I'm not saying Brisbane is the Gold Coast. I'm saying that if the Bears didn't fail back then (given all that was against them), then GC17 won't now.

How much time have you spent on the Gold Coast, out of interest?

I hear a lot of people on this forum passing comment about the place and its inhabitants but I wonder how many have actually been there, let alone spent more than a couple of days out at the theme parks on holidays.

ErnieSigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm not saying Brisbane is the Gold Coast. I'm saying that if the Bears didn't fail back then (given all that was against them), then GC17 won't now.

How much time have you spent on the Gold Coast, out of interest?

I hear a lot of people on this forum passing comment about the place and its inhabitants but I wonder how many have actually been there, let alone spent more than a couple of days out at the theme parks on holidays.

How can you compare Brisbane and the Gold Coast? At least a fair few Brisbane people have some passion for the game and the club. Don't need to live there to see it or feel it.
The Brisbane team would have failed too if they stayed at Carrara.

Besides the fact the Bears are a failed club.

Dear Mr Lowy

We write to you as a matter of urgency on behalf of the Newcastle Jets contracted players in the A-League competition.

We are all devastated that the Hunter Sports Group has returned its A-League licence but also acknowledge their reasons for doing so.

Since Nathan Tinkler's involvement with the Jets we have been privileged to play with one of the most professional clubs in the A-League competition. The fact that many of our young players had the opportunity to play against David Beckham and the LA Galaxy was just one of the many unique experiences we have had.

We have all noticed a massive change for the better with community engagement, a true pathway for young locals, a 10,000 membership base, large and enthusiastic crowds and above all, a real connection with the community.

We are all very proud to have contributed to this massive change under the leadership and vision of the Hunter Sports Group.

As a sign of good faith from HSG we can confirm that our salaries for this month have been paid in advance.

We have no doubt there are two sides to a dispute like this, however we feel it is critical that the issues between HSG and the FFA are addressed as a matter of urgency.

Over the past seven years we have seen a variety of clubs collapse and others change ownership. This is not a stable environment for the competition, players and the fans.

Jets previous owner Con Constantine lost many millions of dollars and was forced to walk away from the game he loves after his team had its licence revoked because of financial problems.

Our game needs the type of people who are prepared to back football with their money, passion and beliefs for the game.

It is very disappointing to see so many clubs change hands in the A-League, and so many contracted players at risk.

We therefore ask you on behalf of the Jets players and fans, as the governing body, to address all issues with current owners before it becomes irretrievable.

We believe it is incumbent on the current A-League and FFA management to do everything in its power to protect the game, the players and the fans for the future of football in Australia.

With respect
MICHAEL BRIDGES

Normy132

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've got a family friend who lives on the Gold Coast. He reckons everyone that goes to the AFL games up there are former Victorians and that they all still support their Victorian sides first and foremost but go to the GC games because it's live footy. So there is a market there for it, it's just it's made up of passer-by supporters and reliant on footy fans moving there permanently.

One the other hand, the only reason he knows about GCU is because of all this drama with Palmer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back