All not well at the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread wasnt actually started because of tonights performance at all. I actually didnt see any of the game after the first 7 mins as i was on a flight. It was more about some whispers Ive heard re Leon and Brad Dick's departure - that not all the players love bucks and want to go to war for him in anywhere near the sort of way they did for Mick. Also was written on the back of watching the first two rounds. As others have posted, Jolly looks done. And one thing the sub rule has done is drive up the need for a mobile around the ground ruckman massively. Jolly looks like he has slowed down significantly and cant jump anywhere near like he used to. Without him, they are stuck with Wood, who is the only footballer to make Mark Blake feel good about himself...

You cant judge them on one game's result, but after 3 weeks things like desire, intensity and passion look light years apart from the previous few years, and as GWS showed in round one, thats stuff you can have in spades even if you are young and underdone!

I think we deserve to be now after beating a "top 4" side with our main backman playing the entire game in the forward line, our midfield dominating yours and our backline doing much the same.

like I said arrogant. More than any other supporters of any other Club.

I still think Geelong and hawthorn are ahead of us, but you gotta admit we're looking good at the moment.

Hawthorn are most definitely NOT ahead of Carlton right now and until we get Varcoe and a couple others back and more game time into our whole group we are not ahead of the Blues either. Glad we don't have to play you for a little while yet.

Yeah they looked pretty horrible tonight, Buckley bought in too many underdone players and were playing with one man less on the bench for about a half since Reid and Ball were out, and Kreuzer dominated the rucks

Buckley has got them playing a strange short 30m chip kick plan that is killing them from skill errors and turnovers. How many times did a Pies player chip the ball to land on top of his teammates head giving his opponent time to hit the contest?

No real long kicks to Cloke / Dawes inside 50?

Pies skills were terrible tonight.

The margin may have been larger but truly last week's match against Brisbane was a harder workout for the Blues than tonight's game was. If you'd told me that a team was going to play this soft against Carlton I'd think you'd be referring to the games against Melbourne. Collingwood were soft.

Put it on Buckley all you like. Have always thought that he was vastly overrated. For all of his achievements as a player Collingwood had a better winning percentage during his career in the games that he did not play in compared to those that he did. FIGJAM turned on to the max tonight.

I think a smashing is just the thing we need. A few of our players are far too arrogant, and all this talk about GWS desperate to swipe one of our superstars has given these boys a false sense of their own worth. I never thought I'd say this about Daisy, but pull your head in. I saw his look up to Buckley in the box last week. Buckley was an absolute champion of our club who deserves respect.
Dane Swan plays these days like he doesn't want to get injured. Before 2011 I thought he was a really solid hard ball winner, now he just flaots on the side of the pack looking for easy ball. He has become what everyone was criticising him for being pre 2010. Its sad but he looks like he doesn't want to get hurt and his thirst for the contest is really lacking. Poor effort.
Pendles deserves a bad one, but it was a horrible one. Playing poorly is excuseable after being so consistent, but allowing your direct opponent to have 10 clearances when you have none is not.
Jolly is, and has always been overrated. He is not a dominant ruckman, he is a solid competitor, nothing more.
Impossible for Cloke tonight given the Blues dominance. I will never question his effort.
A few of these boys need to realise that there is a small difference between being the best and being an also ran, and when you play with a lack of effort and intensity like we did tonight, it is embarrassing. A lot of our best players should be pretty ashamed tonight.

Christ they look like Melbourne. Seriously. The Pies players, individually, are more skilled and better around the clearances which makes up for it somewhat, but there's no chase, a lacking of desire to win the contest.

Plus your kick-ins...welcome to the last five years watching Melbourne. Heart in mouth, every time.

The margin may have been larger but truly last week's match against Brisbane was a harder workout for the Blues than tonight's game was. If you'd told me that a team was going to play this soft against Carlton I'd think you'd be referring to the games against Melbourne. Collingwood were soft.

Put it on Buckley all you like. Have always thought that he was vastly overrated. For all of his achievements as a player Collingwood had a better winning percentage during his career in the games that he did not play in compared to those that he did. FIGJAM turned on to the max tonight.

Dude I know it sucks. I go into an absolute fury whenever Geelong lose. Some times even when we win and I don't think we played well. But take a deep breath. Go for a late night jog, walk or something. I don't think you really believe a lot of the stuff you are saying right now. In this thread or the other one.

like I said arrogant. More than any other supporters of any other Club.

Better to be an arrogant club than a disinterested club. I honestly feel sorry for Bucks, it's as if his own players are hanging him out to dry because they cbf. Always good to beat Collingwood but not when they play s**t football like they have been this season.

I still dont understand why they got rid of Malthouse. He was an amazing coach. That would be like WCE sacking Worsfold now to get Peter Sumich.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a smashing is just the thing we need. A few of our players are far too arrogant, and all this talk about GWS desperate to swipe one of our superstars has given these boys a false sense of their own worth. I never thought I'd say this about Daisy, but pull your head in. I saw his look up to Buckley in the box last week. Buckley was an absolute champion of our club who deserves respect.
Dane Swan plays these days like he doesn't want to get injured. Before 2011 I thought he was a really solid hard ball winner, now he just flaots on the side of the pack looking for easy ball. He has become what everyone was criticising him for being pre 2010. Its sad but he looks like he doesn't want to get hurt and his thirst for the contest is really lacking. Poor effort.
Pendles deserves a bad one, but it was a horrible one. Playing poorly is excuseable after being so consistent, but allowing your direct opponent to have 10 clearances when you have none is not.
Jolly is, and has always been overrated. He is not a dominant ruckman, he is a solid competitor, nothing more.
Impossible for Cloke tonight given the Blues dominance. I will never question his effort.
A few of these boys need to realise that there is a small difference between being the best and being an also ran, and when you play with a lack of effort and intensity like we did tonight, it is embarrassing. A lot of our best players should be pretty ashamed tonight.

:thumbsu:

Fair and balanced indeed.

You could almost stick a fork in 'em...almost.

I won't write off a team that made a GF only 7 months ago but they appear to be a frustrated and unhappy team at the moment. They've got the cattle, but something is off.

Well there goes a bit of cash and my first tip for the week..

Honestly thought Collingwood would get over the line tonight (not by much, admittedly) with Ball, Pendles and Swan controlling the middle but my word they were obliterated tonight. Carlton completely dominated the stoppages and spread to the zone like shrapnel from a grenade!

Ball going down is massive. Ried also.

As some have said, Jolly looks cooked and without a competitive ruck they look particularly vulnerable.

As some have mentioned, there appears to be a fair few front runners that are being exposed (if they weren't already by Geelong last year) though I've held this view for some time and often been shot to pieces for saying so.

Early days of course and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as I've seen what the side is capable of at full flight, but that was pretty poor. Is it the Buckley factor? I along with others asked this question and again attracted derision from all and sundry.

Amongst all of this, credit where credit is due.. Carlton looked pretty bloody good. Will be interesting how they approach the Hawks and Cats, who should hold their own in the guts and (the Cats esprcially) structure-up nicely

Leigh Matthews once said that reputation proceeds reality by 6-12 months in terms of how sides are looked at, and I think a lot of people are doing that here.

People still think of Collingwood of the majority of last year, and of Carlton who couldn't get the job done against top sides.

Truth is Carlton could win every single match until the GF and you people wouldn't be convinced, but then if we won the flag and then stuttered early in 2013, people would expect us to come good.

Pies are in trouble, no doubt. They can recover, but it doesn't always work the way you would think. If anyone told you R3 2009 Hawthorn wouldn't make the 8, people would of thought you were nuts.

But Collingwood's intensity, manic attack on the ball, everything that made them such a good side in 2010/11 isn't there at the moment.

If it doesn't come back soon, they could be with a large pack of mid-range sides.

We looked fantastic, have a fit hungry side, and did what I expected us to do tonight. Trick for us is to win enough games to ensure top 4, and have everyone in good shape for the finals.

If we start off flying, it means we can rest players at various stages.

Funny how we are apparently now considered more advanced in our preparation when people expected us to start slowly based on our pre-season form.

I predicted us to be in a GF before the season begun, and I have seen nothing to change my mind that we can't do it.

I still dont understand why they got rid of Malthouse. He was an amazing coach. That would be like WCE sacking Worsfold now to get Peter Sumich.

Read 36 stratagem and one of them is called Strategy of Separation. That strategy is when u cause internal conflict among your enemy by using schemes to separate key figures in the enemy camp.

There was an anecdote, during ancient time in china, there were two faction. One faction sent a letter with nothing written in it to one of the key officials of a faction. That move was seen by the leader of that faction, he questioned the official and the official responded the letter contained nothing (which was true) but the leader had a suspicious nature and that suspicion turned in paranoia and that led to him killing the official. Without the official, that faction became weak and was destroyed.

Knowing Eddie, he has a very quick mind and respond immediately to threat. North tried to pouch Buckley at the end of 2009, Eddie felt threatened that Buckley might leave he had to do something. Eddie did that and u have to agree the transition plan is quite well thought of but the transition came in the middle of a collingwood window.

The architect that is malthouse is at the peak of his power and is cut off by that untimely transition. Buckley is unproven character, he doesn't have the respect of his players.

Don't be too hard on them ...they came up against a much much better side ..faster by a long way ..and much harder at the contest...almost felt sorry for them for a while there ..almost ;)

Collingwood still has an awesome midfield ..and Pendles is the best player in the comp..and is untaggable ..swan is a superstar and their big forwards are just too good for an ordinary defence like Carltons . ;)

I think most people would pick Collingwood over North. Its nice playing in front of big crowds and having more cash. cant blame him for wanting to coach his former team.

He could have played in front of small crowds and won two flags.

He played in front of big crowds and won nothing.

Now he'll coach in front of big crowds ...

Don't be too hard on them ...they came up against a much much better side ..faster by a long way ..and much harder at the contest...almost felt sorry for them for a while there ..almost ;)

Collingwood still has an awesome midfield ..and Pendles is the best player in the comp..and is untaggable ..swan is a superstar and their big forwards are just too good for an ordinary defence like Carltons . ;)

LOL mate, settle down... your sarcasm is embarrassing.

We are so rusty it aint funny. It was obvious if we played the same way we did against the Tigers, we would get beaten.
Both weeks we have fumbled, dropped marks, shanked kicks, missed easy goals.... No pressure, letting teams run wild. The injury list just makes these things 10 times worse.

Wait until the last round, and then start talking GF chances.

Pies could get their whole team back, fully fit, and firing half way through the season. While at the same time the blues could be losing key players, Judd, murphy etc....losing momentum, losing games, losing supporters....:cool:

It's a long season :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back