Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
He would have kicked 10-15 last time
no he wouldn't've. we should that about 15 times last season, big key forward (X) will kick 10 against GC this week. They didn't once, because Nathan Bock kicked an extreme amount of arse last year and should have been named in the AA team. Time and time again it was the small-medium forward that kicked a bag. Now obviously he won't be there this season, but I believe a small-medium forward is a bigger chance of a bag than a tall forward (and indeed, GC's only chance for me is Bock kicking an extreme amount of arse in the forward line, so if Hurley needs to go back to counter that who cares)

Steve Underpunch

Draftee
Suspended
Apr 13, 2012
Sussex
AFL Club
Essendon
Spike will not return for Carlton, but may return for Collingwood. Good move to leave him out this week and next. We need the pace of Remiers, Dyson and Davey against the Blues while Spike will be much more suited to picking up a Fasolo/Blair type forward against the Pies.
Is this the start of horses for courses?
I think the strength of our list is depth. If we can maintain our core of Watson, Hocking, Zakka, Melk, Hurls, Ryder, Heppel, Jetta, Crameri, Pig, Hardingham, Pears, Fletch and Dempsey and then the remaining 8 spots can be filled by any of 16 or 17 guys with different attributes and skills then we will be one hell of a good side over the next few years in all conditions and against all teams.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
although come to think, I don't think Bock played last time. but still, point stands. GC did well against tall forwards last year, it was small-mediums that were the problem. No surprise given small-mediums are usually the biggest front-runners

You're right. Bocky only missed one game last year. That being the Essendon game. In that game he missed, the only defender we had with experience in the back half was Harbrow. :eek: And look what happened? First quarter record and we lost by 100+.

I guess since we've had Bock out for rounds 1 & 2 and we have yet to concede a 100+ margin against us, it shows that we've improved a little.

It's certainly a little different this week though. No matter how you rate them, Harbrow will be joined by Matty Warnock and Brennan. At least they're bigger bodies with some AFL experience. Not entirely sure how much Bock will be down back. Could well swap with Tom Lynch, depending on where Bocky is needed.

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
no he wouldn't've. we should that about 15 times last season, big key forward (X) will kick 10 against GC this week. They didn't once, because Nathan Bock kicked an extreme amount of arse last year and should have been named in the AA team. Time and time again it was the small-medium forward that kicked a bag. Now obviously he won't be there this season, but I believe a small-medium forward is a bigger chance of a bag than a tall forward (and indeed, GC's only chance for me is Bock kicking an extreme amount of arse in the forward line, so if Hurley needs to go back to counter that who cares)

Me, obviously

GC had bugger all backmen last time.

It really was a case of whoever we kicked to, scored.

And me, I care, damnit.

FighterBomber

Debutant
Apr 17, 2011
Essendon North
AFL Club
Essendon
Spike will not return for Carlton, but may return for Collingwood. Good move to leave him out this week and next. We need the pace of Remiers, Dyson and Davey against the Blues while Spike will be much more suited to picking up a Fasolo/Blair type forward against the Pies.
Is this the start of horses for courses?
I think the strength of our list is depth. If we can maintain our core of Watson, Hocking, Zakka, Melk, Hurls, Ryder, Heppel, Jetta, Crameri, Pig, Hardingham, Pears, Fletch and Dempsey and then the remaining 8 spots can be filled by any of 16 or 17 guys with different attributes and skills then we will be one hell of a good side over the next few years in all conditions and against all teams.

Spot on me reckons.

lamaros

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
It's certainly a little different this week though. No matter how you rate them, Harbrow will be joined by Matty Warnock and Brennan. At least they're bigger bodies with some AFL experience. Not entirely sure how much Bock will be down back. Could well swap with Tom Lynch, depending on where Bocky is needed.

Unfortunately it doesn't really matter, as the game is all about midfielders and the weak links. Every side will play through the weak links if they are there, and you have a lot of them.

Especially as we have pretty much our first choice midfield in for this one. We might be missing some fringe guys, but Watson, Hocking, Stanton, Howlett, Zaharakis & Melksham are all playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, as I posted before there was about 4 or 5 I missed. Odds are I missed that group, and Fletch was with them.

Would've been the cool group who slipped by unnoticed.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm really happy with the team we named for a couple of reasons.
Firstly with the Ins - Bellchambers was an obvious must so no discussion there.
Reimers/Davey/Dyson - Great, lets give these guys a game so if we need them for the 4 day break they will have had some recent exposure to AFL level, plus I still have high hopes for Reimers and Dyson is a lot better than he's rated around here in my opinion.
Great to see Hocking back and gives him a chance to get some much needed match practice after some unfortunate incidents.
Plus Carlisle stayed in, which is fantastic as he is a gun and I personally rate him above both Pears/Hooker in any position and I mean right now, not even based on future potential. Love the bucket hands.

Zacka11

All Australian
Essendon Player Sponsor 2012
Jan 28, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Newcastle United FC

What the **** are you on about??? Are you talking about Reimers's 8 goals as a small - mid forward, or the fact that Hurley couldn't kick a bag from the back line?????
Who won't be there this time around?????

What the **** are you on about??? Are you talking about Reimers's 8 goals as a small - mid forward, or the fact that Hurley couldn't kick a bag from the back line?????
Who won't be there this time around?????

Think Phone is saying that Bock's performance as a tall back in 2011 was under-estimated - Fairly much right.

And that Bock will probably be key forward - Which will probably happen.

bomber93

Senior List
May 24, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Yep bock and Warnock are their only two key defenders, That would leave possibly Warnock to Ryder/Belchambers, Bock to Hurley, then that leaves possibly Tape for Crameri, Dont think they can afford to play Bock Forward this week as it will leave them one key defender short, and dont think Tape is a key back rather a 3rd tall back there. Unless their planning on playing Day back there??

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Yep bock and Warnock are their only two key defenders, That would leave possibly Warnock to Ryder/Belchambers, Bock to Hurley, then that leaves possibly Tape for Crameri, Dont think they can afford to play Bock Forward this week as it will leave them one key defender short, and dont think Tape is a key back rather a 3rd tall back there. Unless their planning on playing Day back there??

I think the idea is that Lynch and Bock may swap if need be. Day will be staying up forward. I'm not happy with that idea, but what can you do? :confused: In my opinion, Lynch is a forward. Even though he went okay on Riewoldt last week.

Brennan will be floating through the backline too, usually goes okay as a third tall. No time for him to disappear either, since it comes into our own half so much. :D

Tape is usually pretty good as a lock-down type defender. Can really take his guy out of the game if he's on. Guess we'll see if that's tonight or not. ;)

Tape is usually pretty good as a lock-down type defender. Can really take his guy out of the game if he's on. Guess we'll see if that's tonight or not. ;)

Is this troll? I would assume so considering his first quarter vs Reimers last year :eek:

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Is this troll? I would assume so considering his first quarter vs Reimers last year :eek:

Indeed, I don't think that was Tape?

Could have been, but cannot remember that far back. I think Tape was subbed off in the third quarter. Seb is very hot and cold though. His good is very good. But his bad is very bad. Lack of consistency hurting us really, similar to a lot of our youngins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back