Chris Yarran or Jeff Garlett- Who has the most potential?

Chris Yarran or Jeff Garlett- Who has the greater potential?

• Chris Yarran

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jeff Garlett

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jedstar

He'll be back
Jul 21, 2007
Deep in a sea of ennui
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hey guys, I've been talking with some Carlton buddies of mine (I know a load of them for some reason), and we've been discussing who has the greater potential out of Chris Yarran and Jeff Garlett. The overall response I get is mixed, though those who think Garlett will be better are fairly certain of themselves. Personally, while I think Garlett is a great little player, I believe Yarran has the potential to be anything should he wish to really push himself. I also think 2012 will be his breakout year.

What do you guys think?

I thought definitely Garlett before the start of the season but after watching last night Yarran looks so confident when he gets the footy.

I'll say Garlett just, but if you're not tagging Yarran from now on you're going to get burnt.

I think I will take both thanks, Yarran probably will have more strings to his bow, but I can't see why Garlett can't be used on the wing in short burst. The advantage with Yarran is that he is an Elite kick off both feet, going to be a start, but yeah I will take both.

Yarran for me. Not only has the speed and skills, but also the build to seriously impose himself on a contest.

If i could only snare 1 of them at the blues I would take um yazza, has more potential. love little jeffy but he will more than likely be in and out of games with flashes of brilliance. can see yaz getting greater consistancy over the trek.

Garlett.

Would love him at the bombers. I still think Yarran is a one trick pony.
You're entitled to your opinion but I'd have thought Garlett would be viewed as the one trick pony, seeing as Yarran has played forward and back so far in his career with the view to playing him in the midfield. Garlett on the other hand has played exclusively up forward.
Personally, I'm happy to have them both but believe Yarran has a much higher ceiling, as I can see him playing through the middle as he improves his tank/attack on the footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're entitled to your opinion but I'd have thought Garlett would be viewed as the one trick pony, seeing as Yarran has played forward and back so far in his career with the view to playing him in the midfield. Garlett on the other hand has played exclusively up forward.
Personally, I'm happy to have them both but believe Yarran has a much higher ceiling, as I can see him playing through the middle as he improves his tank/attack on the footy.

Yarran did play forward, but he hardly excelled up there. Garlett has been exceptional for mine. I think he will start to move further up the ground as he gets fitter, bigger and more experienced.

garlett needs to be developed further in defence or in the midfield. yarran has been given greater opportunity to more fully express his game.

too hard to call.
Yarran is the better talent.

Classier kick on both sides of the body.

As Andy McKay said on SEN, Yarran has the bigger body that will give him more "push" in one on one contests. Will learn to use this muscle and put his body in consistently like he did in round one. Once the fitness is there, Yarran will explode as a wingman or mid. Easily more talented than Campo who had a stellar AA season in 2000 after kicking 30 goals and averaging 27 touches in the midfield.

Garlett will always be a whippet.

garlett needs to be developed further in defence or in the midfield. yarran has been given greater opportunity to more fully express his game.

too hard to call.
I'm not sure if people have noticed, but Garlett is actually getting a go in the midfield. Both against Richmond and Brisbane he has gone in the midfield and has excelled.

Both could slot into the middle/wing, lots of pace and throw in Walker and Betts the Blues can rotate a few through there; and so far this year Garlett has been thrown into the middle in short burst.

Yarran is the better talent.

Classier kick on both sides of the body.

As Andy McKay said on SEN, Yarran has the bigger body that will give him more "push" in one on one contests. Will learn to use this muscle and put his body in consistently like he did in round one. Once the fitness is there, Yarran will explode as a wingman or mid. Easily more talented than Campo who had a stellar AA season in 2000 after kicking 30 goals and averaging 27 touches in the midfield.

Garlett will always be a whippet.

Needs no further reading than this.

Yarran isn't having a great year so far, while Garlett doing what he always does: Gets involved, kicks goals and sets them up.

Yarran isn't having a great year so far, while Garlett doing what he always does: Gets involved, kicks goals and sets them up.
Yarran hasn't been poor in any of his games this year.

Garlett had to run that goal in with Dawes and Clarke chasing. Lacks Yarran's confidence with his set shots and kicking for goal. Isn't in the same class as the player who took on three opponents and kicked it from an impossible angle without breaking stride.
Gibbs is still doing his job though. Yarran struggles to get involved - which is why he was moved down there to begin with, so his team-mates could feed him the ball.
Yarran's doing his job as part of a back six that hasn't been beaten this year.

You can't ask for more than that.

Yarran kicked 19 goals in his second season, but he still lacked the fitness to be a four quarter player. We moved him back to add talent and skill to our backline. They had to get Armfield and Joseph out of there because they lack skill and decision making under pressure. Yarran is better in the air than these two. Walker was needed forward.

Back