How will we fare against the hawks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kinda worried we are going to cop a hiding....

Exactly how I'm feeling about us against you guys!

Honestly, I hope and think it will be a close game, I really rate you boys, such a quality side on all positions of the ground. If anyone will get belted, it will be us. I don't think we have the ability over at Patterson's to belt you, whereas you guys could really get a hold of us and give us a wake up call.

While I'm on here, I wanna ask some Eagles supporters something.

Did many supporters see this change coming? Like last to premiership contenders in the space of a year? As an opposition supporter I was amazed how much your team just suddenly changed, rarely does that ever happen, you guys must be rapt with where you are at now compared to 2 years ago, it's a great achievement :thumbsu:

Did many supporters see this change coming? Like last to premiership contenders in the space of a year? As an opposition supporter I was amazed how much your team just suddenly changed, rarely does that ever happen, you guys must be rapt with where you are at now compared to 2 years ago, it's a great achievement :thumbsu:

In 2009, I saw it coming. In 2010, I thought it was incredibly unlikely. We just completely skipped the middle ground season, which was supposed to be 2010.

In saying that, some of these players are coming on better than I could ever have hoped.

Exactly how I'm feeling about us against you guys!

Honestly, I hope and think it will be a close game, I really rate you boys, such a quality side on all positions of the ground. If anyone will get belted, it will be us. I don't think we have the ability over at Patterson's to belt you, whereas you guys could really get a hold of us and give us a wake up call.

While I'm on here, I wanna ask some Eagles supporters something.

People were very quick to sink the boot in in 2010, from over east and from our own supporters, calling it the lowest point in the club's history. That was ridiculous, 2008 was our lowest point, 4 wins 18 losses and a s**t percentage from getting belted every week.

2010 had Glass injured, Kerr injured, a number of other senior players returning from injury. We probably didn't have close to our best 22 on the field in any match that year. Not to mention we lost so many matches we really shouldn't have, 5 points to Brisbane and 1 point to Port Adelaide stick in my mind. So yes, we finished last, but we should have won about 7-8 matches that year, even with our injury list.

Then last year, we had the injury list from heaven, great fixture, and all our young players had come on leaps and bounds over the pre-season, getting Shuey fit and firing, Scott Selwood, Wil Schofield, Eric Mackenzie, plus a couple of pick-ups in Darling and Gaff. So I think we probably over-achieved last year and under-achieved the year before, resulting in a massive jump.

In hindsight, it's easy to see, but given how quick modern footy journalists are to jump the gun, it's no wonder they overplayed how bad we were in 2010, and not see it for what it was, a blip. The fact not one of these "experts" picked us as a dark horse for a rise up the ladder last year probably goes to show how bad their investigative journalism actually is.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Who do you think will tag Mitchell and Hodge? Hodge is still 50/50. Assuming he does play who his likely match up? Someone has to tag Mitchell otherwise WC chance of winning center clearences dimenish quickly, despite your 2 gun ruckmans and our average rucks. If I was the Eagles coach, Id give Scott Selwood that job on Mitchell and his bother Adam to Cyril, Thoughts?

Who do you think will tag Mitchell and Hodge? Hodge is still 50/50. Assuming he does play who his likely match up? Someone has to tag Mitchell otherwise WC chance of winning center clearences dimenish quickly, despite your 2 gun ruckmans and our average rucks. If I was the Eagles coach, Id give Scott Selwood that job on Mitchell and his bother Adam to Cyril, Thoughts?

That's pretty much how it I assume most of us would see it but for 2 things.

Firstly, Scott Selwood tagging again would be a bit of a shame for us. Ideally he'd bring the 2012 offence and the 2011 defence but that's asking for a lot. However, if we don't get him to do a bit of a lock down job then we're going head to head with Mitchell. :eek:

Secondly, I reckon there's a small chance that McGinnity would go to Cyril and Adam Selwood would follow someone like Lewis around.

Only Go Eagles, true believer.

No way. I am fearing the other way round. You had us in Tassie last year
and have only improved.
yeah tbh im not entirely convinced yet about how we go interstate, atm we are having mental lapses during games and interstate against the eagles if we allow that to happen we will get blown away, we need to be on the ball 100% of the time on satday nite. I think we are a great team but temprement is the 1 question mark most teams should have about us, are we good enough when the pressure is on and the chips are down?.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The press will need to be put to full effect this week, although the Hawks do know how to counter it so defensive pressure over the ground needs to be at an all-time high. Precision delivery into the forward line is required, considering Josh Gibson's ridiculous defensive stats the last few seasons.

I expect Scooter will play more of a run-with role with Sam Mitchell, but I think him just being able to play the way he has so far, amassing 25+ and kicking a goal will be good enough for Woosha, as long as Mitchell doesn't have too much influence. I can't see there being too much focus on Hodge first game back - maybe a Waters drifting up forward or Smith - depending on where Hodge plays in the first place.

Ruck domination is a foregone conclusion - getting actual clearances another. Priddis is pretty much a one-man show for us at the moment, so he'll need support. The rest are good for 2-3 each, Kerry should do relatively well if he's actually fit.

Looking for Kennedy to kick a bag and Darling to repeat what he did to Melbourne: 4.2 and 4 goal assists! Ashton Hams (if he plays) to do his job and look for the big men rather than going for the goal every time.

Only Go Eagles, true believer.

Agree re Go Eagles. Awesome effort last year. The other person who had already predicted we would be challenging now was one John Worsfold. He got pilloried for it, and some of the worst things said were on this board. Not all of his detractors have fessed up to their sins though - not in the media and not on this board.:(

Really looking Forward to this Game, I will be there so we better win, I think we match up well and with the home crowd we should get there

GO EAGLES

Naitanui full forward vs Hawks at home. Do it. We will win.

Too valuable in the centre bouncedowns, but I would love for him to be played as a leading forward more often to see what he can do, he generally is just plonked in the square, seems to be there to play his role rather than kick multiple goals.

I really can't see where the lack of confidence is coming from you blokes :/

You'll violate us in the ruck and we have trouble with 1 big bloke in forward lines let alone three-four. Couple that with you having quality KPP defenders for our big blokes and I can't see us getting with 4 goals of you.

Our midfield is the only area I think we have the edge due to bigger bodies/experience but I can't see that being the deciding factor.

Only way we're going to win is if your forwards have shockers and we cut you up from defense.

Too valuable in the centre bouncedowns, but I would love for him to be played as a leading forward more often to see what he can do, he generally is just plonked in the square, seems to be there to play his role rather than kick multiple goals.

Was more a reference to his 2nd career game in '08 when he got us over the line with 3 goals in the last qtr v Hawthorn

re Naitanui its definitely food for thought.

I've noticed this year he seems to have settled into a nice goalkicking routine. No fuss, run in straight and slot it. :thumbsu:

Against a team lacking quality KPD's (such as Hawthorn) I think it might be worth the gamble. Not for the whole game but for a bit more time than he otherwise would normally get. Might depend if the Hawks counter by playing Hale/Roughead as a defender on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back