General Sport Discussion (non-AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ali no doubt worked hard to portray Frazier as a good man later in his life and also to be a friend but Frazier was a bit less forgiving. I think that Ali actually attended Fraziers funeral when he died last year. Would have been interesting to know what Joe would have thought of that.

Boxing at times is a good sport to read about Gibbo. A microcosm of life. Out of all the sports I have read about over the years it has had more of a social impact due to it's huge popularity in the early part of the 20th century. I have a book called Papa Jack. Jack Johnson and the era of the White Hopes by Randy Roberts. This is not just a great boxing book it is a great book period.
When Jack Johnson defeated white heavyweight champion Jim Jeffries in 1910, it was America's notions of racial superiority that staggered under his blows. Amid riots and lynchings, the search began for the Great White Hope who could put the "uppity" new champion in his place. Here is the startling true story of the most famous--and most hated--black American of his day. "Papa Jack" takes us into a violent and sordid world. It is an astonishing tale of black defiance--and white retribution--set against the dramatic canvas of sports and spectacle in Jim Crow America.

He was the 1st black heavyweight champion of the world and the social impact was huge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Johnson_(boxer)

To give you an impact of Boxing back in the day, another black fighter called Peter Jackson is buried in the Toowong cemetery and boxing historians from around the world used to make visits to his grave. they still might for all I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Jackson_(boxer)

I'm not into boxing all that much but I watched the sport documentary of 'thrilla in Manila' tonight. Before watching it I had heard of Frazier but knew nothing of how good he actually was, you could argue that he was as good of a fighter as Ali. It was pretty disgusting the way Ali treated Frazier when he was the one that petitioned for him so he could get back in the ring and lent him money. Really showed how scared Ali was of losing that he had to attack Frazier's character so much. Definitely recommend watching it.

I actually met Joe Frazier.. early '75 prior to Thrilla in Manilla... I was a young school kid and we had an off campus, sports afternoon, going for our bronze medalions at an establishment called the Golden Bowl in Camberwell.(Melbourne).It was run by a bloke at the time called Tony "run everywhere" Rafferty, who later became famous for running across "Death Valley".....Joe Frazier was using the Gym there for his training prior to his fight with Jimmy Ellis at Festival Hall...(which was his lead up fight to Manilla). Rafferty bought Frazier in to say hello and a bit of a motivational speech...Frazier walked up and down sort of sizing us up ...he stopped right in front of the guy next to me, bent down and clenched his fist and said, he'd give $1 if any of us could pull his arm down... we all had a go not one of us could.. I think one of us managed to move it a bit...I was devastated he lost in Manilla..

I actually met Joe Frazier..

What a great experience for a young bloke. Funny funny game is boxing. Some of the biggest crooks through to the nicest people.

I always used to get told that the like of Don King were ruining the sport due to his corrupt control and practises. My reply was always "ever heard of Tex Rickard, ever read about Jake La Motta's fight v Billy Fox?"

Another A-League team bites the dust.

So long Newcastle Jets.

FFA is a bit of a rabble.

There's always going to problems with their funding models etc. Too much relying on rich owners to fund clubs. I'm not sure how they go abour fixing it though.

I watched a bit of the Central Coast - Brisbane game and couldn't believe the fans booing Brisbane players who had the temerity to get injured by dodgy tackles. Now I know soccer has an poor record with blokes falling over and clutching at shins like they've shot, but these were legitimate injuries.

Mind you I'm pretty sure the same thing happened when Selwood went down on the weekend...

Not a bad goal from my team Cardiff in their seemingly endless quest to make it up to the Premier League. Sadly I don't think it'll be this year, but stranger things have happened...

[YOUTUBE]x5quPKMvrBE[/YOUTUBE]

Pity about the shitty quality vid...

Another A-League team bites the dust.

So long Newcastle Jets.

FFA is a bit of a rabble.
No

Their idiot Tinker only used Newcastle as a stepping stone to get to the Knights

Now he doesn't need them he's dropped them like a hot potato

FFA has set up a committee with half A-league reps and half FFA reps to look at a range of issues and look at more openness in how the game is run but that's a positive so the media wont report it.

Typical media will only print Football stories if its negative

I thought you were smart enough to believe everything you read in the paper BD???

FFA are not perfect and some things need improving but its 100000000000x better than the NSL will ever be

I thought you were smart enough to believe everything you read in the paper BD???

Whoa. Dial back the angst.

See the date on my post? 9 days ago. Right after the press conference where Tinker announced he wanted to give the license back. I hadn't read anything in the paper about it.

sorry...

kind shits me the media in this country in general - everyone not reporting on facts rather their own agendas

When we are trying to restore credibility we get idiots who don't know a football from a tennis racquet reporting untruths and hidden agendas

Ive grown up with this game and I know what its like then to now and its 1000000000x better than it use to be.

I do think the FFA has a few things to sort out though.

Their funding models are worrying. Unlike the AFL which generates massive revenue at the highest level which filters down to the grassroots, it basically works the other way with soccer in Australia which has more of a bottom-up flow. They also rely heavily on government handouts at the moment which could be cut off at a minutes notice.

The private ownership model for clubs is also going to be a constant source of instability and uncertainty. Whole clubs at the whim of flaky billionaires with massive egos. Would be great if they could try and push towards member based clubs but I don't know enough about it to know if it is realistic.

If we had the revenue of the AFL we could - I think were we let ourselves down is marketing and our FTA coverage which is non existent

Bigger city clubs like Adelaide and Brisbane could - smaller ones like Newcastle couldnt afford to

I think we need a mix of both TBH

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue with the A-League is that it can't really afford the expenditure on the comp/clubs but at the same time it can't afford not to keep spending.

One of the great successes of the A-League in my opinion is that the football quality is so much better. The reason why is that the clubs are professional and it can attract half decent home and foreign players with the wage levels, even with a salary cap. The semi-professional NSL never had that advantage and so was never going to provide an attractive product for media rights.

But its income streams don't support the level of expenditure. Therefore, generous billionaires tend to be the only solution because these clubs and the league will be run at a loss until they become more self-funded.

I think it was on Offsiders the other day when someone said that the ray of hope is the Asian Champions League - it seems to be able to offer the sorts of financial rewards that can make an otherwise unprofitable venture profitable.

The other possibility is to do with the Heart have done and invest heavily in youth in the hope that you'll make some money on the transfer market.

The other possibility is to do with the Heart have done and invest heavily in youth in the hope that you'll make some money on the transfer market.

That's what keeps the Mariners afloat year to year. Unfortunately, coming from an AFL background it's bloody frustrating to watch promising kids come through, play for a year or so in the seniors, but get snapped up because the transfer fee is enough to pay half the team's wages for the year. :(

So looking forward to tomorrows A-League Grand Final at Suncorp, went last year and it was one of the best matches I have been to. CUMMON ROAR!

Was at the ground - looked to me like he had an air swing. He copped a bit of interference, but nothing penalty-worthy. I thought in real-time it was a penalty though.

Was a great atmosphere. Would be great if our club could cultivate that kind of orchestrated cheer squad.

Amazing game once again - down to the wire yet again. I think it was a penality, even if it wasn't we were the better side. Congrats to the Roar, hope we go back-to-back-to-back like our Lions once did. GO YOU LION(S) ;)

The crowd looked incredible on TV. They really came alive after Besart's first goal. As much as I love the Gabba, a full and parochial Lang Park is one of the best sporting experiences.

I didn't think it was a dive either. He was going down because he'd totally missed the ball - he probably accentuated it slightly but I think that this was simply a s**t ref decision.....and they happen in every sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back