FTA-TV Bruce McAvaney Hate Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
IMO he is the worst football commentator in Australia. Why? Amongst other things, his breathless Carlotta-like delivery style, along with his habit of endlessly spewing forth boring, inane comments that would be obvious to the dullest of primary school students.

Got on my wick so much recently that I created my first subject oriented Facebook page. I won't link to it in this post though for fear it would be considered as spam.

My pet hate is he concludes every sentence with "....... in the end" and if he dropped it no one would notice a drop off in commentary
For instance he says "Buddy runs to the wing and takes a good mark in the end" as opposed to "Buddy runs to the wing and takes a good mark".
If he only did it occasionally it wouldn't be so bad but he does it all the time.

And now most of the others do it too like Hudson, BT and Dwayne.

The other thing about Bruce is his inability to talk 'naturally'
He stretches every word to ridiculous proportions like "Buddy goes out wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddde, now he kicks it loooooonnnnng to the poooooooooooocket"

"Hate" is such a strong word - especially in these days of PCness and "cyber-bullying".
Couldn't you have titled this thread, "Bruce McAvaney Considerable Disapproval Thread."?

He's a good kick isn't he? They did well there didn't they? They're a good team aren't they?

I love if a game is close and a team suddenly gets a couple of goals clear midway through the third term he'll say "well they've got this now you'd reckon!". There's still about 40 mins of gametime left flog.

Not a fan. Don't hate him, just hate how he calls the game.

Hate his commentating style (calling 'radio'), hate his over emotional outbursts, hate his litany of useless trivia.....like how the score at one stage was the same as the 1966 GF. Maybe if it was Collingwood playing St.Kilda it might have some relevance, but Collingwood Essendon???? :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember reading on another thread about Bruce. I forgot the poster, they were saying that Bruce is still a good commentator or capable of being one, it's just the 5 year break he had not calling footy, in any form, had stuffed him up. It was a fair point, I thought.

Like so many caller though he had a good thing going. Then he was told to play up to it 'special' now he plays up to it and is a parody of his former self.

Dennis is similar, the by play between Bruces & Dennis is cringeworthy & self indulgent. BT the same. Football needs a few more 'straight' callers rather than these 'characters'.

Bruce: "Baaaaaaaaarteellllll, to Chaaapmaaaan, and baaaaack. Can they work this out? Taaaaackle by Martiiiiiiiin, pressssssssssure.... Enright cleeeeeeeears to the wing. Weeeeelllllll".

Dennis: "*something normal and funny and observant, and something about something a player did being un-Australian".

Harley: "Gee, how was the forward pressure applied by the Geelong players there, playing forward of the centre sitting at the crumb the zone defence applied extraneous pressure on Martin before they led the league in defensive offensive handballs in 09, I'm not sure about now (something that makes me try and sound knowledgeable about the game)".

Richo (on the boundary): "Sfellow, un-Australian!"

Does Lucy Bruce ask the most rhetorical questions in a agame of any commentator ? That gets on my nerves. His job is to obseve and commentate, not secure comments on his observations.

Maybe the cure is for his fellow commentators just to leave him hanging, .... no answer, then he'll ask another and ......................:D

Next game I'll keep a rough count going and report in.

the one that really annoys me is "couldn't quite"

couldn't quite what? learn how to finish sentences

most annoying tv commentator ever

you just feel that bruce is past it don't you. I just get the feeling he has gone on a few years tooooo looooooooonnnnnnnnggg. Then we go back to Dennis Cometti, now back to Richo, you can really feeeeellll the excitement in the box tonight.

Bruce is still a good caller.

What I hate is how he's allowed himself to be a parody. His callgasms are more and more frequent, his analysis less prominent.

30 years ago, he was calling SANFL. If you have 5 minutes to play "spot the difference" here it is.

I just get the feeling that the real Bruce is better, isn't he?

[youtube]-3opFDC6rJY[/youtube]

Bruce is still a good caller.

What I hate is how he's allowed himself to be a parody. His callgasms are more and more frequent, his analysis less prominent.

30 years ago, he was calling SANFL. If you have 5 minutes to play "spot the difference" here it is.

I was going to make a similar comment. I recall when he began calling SANFL, even the early days of AFL, he was a great caller. Suddenly he developed this annoying voice he puts on, and he's nowhere near as good a caller as he used to be.

Sypmtomatic of the game really .. more about theatre than substance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back