PC Diablo III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played the open beta on the weekend. Found the monk and wizard supaper fun.

Thanks for the info kayzee, I wouldnt take to much away from the beta, the end product will be alot better. Don't think you can get an overall feel for the game in beta.

In beta did you get those gem things to alter your spells? Don't know what they called? Maybe due to the limited spells these will be an integral part???

Runes? I played a barbarian up to level 11 in the beta and had access to both the primary and secondary abilities (obviously) and two others.

I had 2 primary abilities (both generate fury) and 2 secondary ones (that require it). I had a choice between runes at that level, and runes on the activation abilities (hot-keyed 1-4).

If you're into efficiency and min-maxing (end-game mmo players, hc d2 etc) there will be an efficient build/cookie-cutter routes you can take that will be better for most scenarios. Having said that, it was still fun to play around with what was there. One example was my secondary ability was an AOE which I was able to socket/enhance with a rune that produced a wave that rippled outwards (it was an immediate/low radius AOE).

So it wasn't earth shatteringly amazing, but it is early game and it was fun.

What you can get a feel for is the graphics style (acceptable, but it is a dungeon crawler), play style to an extent and general interaction. I played with one of my best mates on ventrilo who I've played games with for a decade; it was fun. That was the main thing for me.

Other games are coming out in the genre though, so it'll be interesting to see how it holds up against those (makers of titan quest are making one, torchlight 2 etc). The other main thing I'm interesting in is seeing how the RMAH plays out. I personally don't like the idea of people buying gear with real money (especially for PvP which will be patched in later), but I haven't really played a game where that's been the case in the past, so I can't really comment yet.

Other games are coming out in the genre though, so it'll be interesting to see how it holds up against those (makers of titan quest are making one, torchlight 2 etc). The other main thing I'm interesting in is seeing how the RMAH plays out. I personally don't like the idea of people buying gear with real money (especially for PvP which will be patched in later), but I haven't really played a game where that's been the case in the past, so I can't really comment yet.

Sorry Syphoncom... I lol'd... it's Blizzard!!! It wont hold up it will sell and hold a fan base just on their rep alone.

Oh I meant critically.

Of course the game will sell truckloads lol, but I'll probably get it anyway so it's not like I'd be helping the situation if it were poor.

nope, just need to buy the game($50-$100 depending on where you buy it), and have a battle.net account (free).

The game will pay for itself anyway with the rmah.

^ As Bastians said you will pay for the game ~AUS$70

However, the Real Money Auction House (RMAH) will be how blizzard make extra $$$. Basically, there will be 2 ways to auction your in-game items you find/craft:

1 - selling them on the RMAH for in game gold... basically has no effect on your $ nor Blizzard's income $... just like selling things in the AH in WOW.

2 - selling them on the RMAH for real life $... you can sell the items for real life $. Blizzard will take a small transaction fee for each sale... ie if you sell something for $100 Blizzard might take $5 and you get $95.

So in a way option 2 sort of "costs" you money.

Just don't get too carried with the RMAH concept. I think its fair to say in current games like WoW about <1% of players are actually farming and selling items for cash due to the fact that its damn hard, and people only trust the known sellers.

Ramp up the number of people with the ability to legitimately sell items for cash to 100% and you will probably see prices drop by a similar ratio. I doubt it will be the cash cow many people think it's going to be.

I seriously doubt it will be as much of a monetary boom as what people are expecting, but say I end up playing diablo 3 on and off over the course of a couple of years, chances are i'm going to at least make back the $52 i spent on the game itself, and that's reward enough.

The people who say that they're going to quit their jobs and make a living off of diablo are the ones who are getting carried away a touch.

Yeah good point there. I certainly hope it provides enough competition that the gold farmers in Asia won't bother with it.

It will, and i think it was one of the real reasons as to why they decided to go with the rmah, to try and curb gold farmers. They were a bit of a blight on diablo 2.

Another positive of it is that the game will be sustainable without the need for dlc or by making it subscription based, which are 2 things that so many multiplayer games have turned to these days. Blizzard is going to be making a fair bit of money each day just from their cuts from each sale on the rmah.

I dare say that there will be an expansion at some point, but blizzard expansions are always worth the money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not everything you get is useful to your character, and there might be someone who would pay $1 or $2 for something you found.

Personally I won't be spending my hard earned on pretend swords and armour. I just don't see the point.

I will use the in-game-gold auction house though.

Agreed, I will never understand why people pay real money for something in a game, boggles my mind!

Agreed, I will never understand why people pay real money for something in a game, boggles my mind!

People just have different priorities. Some would rather spend $10 on a shiny new sword or chest piece than get an extra beer one night. Each to their own.

Having said that, i wont be spending real money on the in rmah. Only way i'd be tempted to is if i had a few dollars sitting in my paypal that i had actually made from the rmah, so it wouldn't feel like quite as big of a waste. But even so, i still probably wouldn't.

Just picked up Diablo II finally. Never really got into it as a kid, was too into counter strike and Age of Empires. Anything worth knowing before I start playing?

Not really... just jump in and start playing. Controls (clicking to move/run etc and left hand used for skills) take a little getting use to rather then AWDS. Jumping back into D3 now has brought all that back.

Don't be in a rush to spend your skill points early on, learn your toon, use online skill calculators... IIRC you can't respec so you'll rue wasted points.

Normal level is easy, Nightmare is also rather easy, but Hell has its challenges if your not speced right.

Some classed are better early and some are better for later. IIRC most complete Normal around level 30, Nightmare around 55 and Hell around 70s.

Not really... just jump in and start playing. Controls (clicking to move/run etc and left hand used for skills) take a little getting use to rather then AWDS. Jumping back into D3 now has brought all that back.

Don't be in a rush to spend your skill points early on, learn your toon, use online skill calculators... IIRC you can't respec so you'll rue wasted points.

Normal level is easy, Nightmare is also rather easy, but Hell has its challenges if your not speced right.

Some classed are better early and some are better for later. IIRC most complete Normal around level 30, Nightmare around 55 and Hell around 70s.

Kaysee. I love Diablo 3 but am an older gamer who really only knows bits and peices about the game strategy. you explained Runes really well earlier. Can you please4 do the same for skill calculator and respec?

Kaysee. I love Diablo 3 but am an older gamer who really only knows bits and peices about the game strategy. you explained Runes really well earlier. Can you please4 do the same for skill calculator and respec?

Explain D2 or D3... because skill management has changed quite a bit between games.

In D2 each time your character leveled you receive a skill point. These were used to buy and improve new skills. Each skill could have a maximum level of 20 (without bonuses from items etc). Skills were normally grouped into 3 areas specific to each class.. like the following Sorceress skill trees:

Sorceress_Skill_Trees_(Diablo_II).png

EDIT actually this awesome D2 skills website is still running: http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/

As you can see there are heaps of skills and because your character could only reach a maximum level of 100 you had limited points allocate (100 + some reward bonuses). Of course some item bonuses (like +3 Fire Skills) would increase these further. Because you couldn't reset and reallocate your points... if you could easily waste points when 1st starting out. Hence D2 related websites with Skill Calculators became a must for when creating a new class. Many websites offered details on "cookie cutter" skill allocation... full guides on the best way to spend your skills.

Of course none of this really mattered for Normal difficulty or even Nightmare... but by the time you reached Hell many monsters have multiple resistances (like: Immune to Fire, Immune to Frost), so if your build was too specific you would struggle.

This has all changed in D3... they have a Skill Calculator on the website: LINK

Now it is a lot more flexible! TBH I'm not fully up to speed with it (others can confirm/expand on the following). You only have 6 skill "slots" that can be active at any one time (used via your 2 mouse buttons and keys 1,2,3 and 4). Skills become available to you as you reach certain levels, certain skills can only be bound to certain skill slots, but you can only select 1 skill for that slot.

For example:
Mouse Skill Slot - Left Button... is a primary skill slot.
The Monk can unlock 4 different skills for this slot: Fists of Thunder(level 1), Deadly Clap (3), Crippling Wave (11), and Way of 100 Fists (15)... but he can only activate one of these skills for combat (you can switch them over when you're not figthing).

RUNES
You can then augment your skills by using Runes. Like skills these become unlocked as you level up and you can apply 1 rune to a skill to achieve an extra/bonus effect with that skill. Like skills... when out of combat you can swap your runes around.

It might sound a bit complicated but it is basically like a COD Class setup. Basically, when you're not in combat you can swap out your weapons in to different slots (primary, secondary, tactical grenade, explosive grenade etc). Then on each weapon you equip attachments to improve it. Similar in D3 by the looks when you're not fighting you can setup your class with skills in each slot, and then add Runes as "attachments". The main difference being in COD in do this in a lobby and in D3 you do can do this when you'r not engaging any monsters, so you can do it more often to suit the situation.

The new system is pretty cool for flexibility and especially for MP (group PvE or PvP), but personally it appears you loose that "investment" in your character.

IE... my favourite class was an Assassin, so I might build them up to be focused in traps with a strong Shadow Master. As i built up the character you would learn all the pros and cons of that build and know it intimately. You would know "how you fight", fight monsters or fight other players... and know what you couldn't handle and run. LOL. Now though people will be chopping and changing all the time (by the looks), so they can do nearly anything. I just yet to be convinced it is a good thing. Happy to be proven wrong in 1 months time though. :thumbsu:

HTH
SKC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back