White

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you give us some names of these players ?

Sam Dwyer from Port Melbourne.

Tom Sundberg from Collingwood VFL

Ben Duscher from Bendigo Bombers

Just to name three. All so far better than White and not on an AFL list.

There was a few more that were floating around and a heap more at SANFL level, VFL level and WAFL level.

White is an average VFL player. He is easily replaced yet continues on. Blows ze mind.

Sam Dwyer from Port Melbourne.

Tom Sundberg from Collingwood VFL

Ben Duscher from Bendigo Bombers

Just to name three. All so far better than White and not on an AFL list.

There was a few more that were floating around and a heap more at SANFL level, VFL level and WAFL level.

White is an average VFL player. He is easily replaced yet continues on. Blows ze mind.
All midfielders who can go forward , which I've long advocated we have needed to add to our list . However to add that type of player to our 22 would need the altering of our structure , which IMO should be at the expense of predominate small forwards .
Within the current structure they would be competiting against Cotchin , Martin , Lids and Foley , which they have no hope of getting in front of .
Or as pure mids against Tuck or Grigg .
I don't see any of them as being similar to White in that he can play defensive forward , defensive mid , small defender or outside quick mid , albeit probably u likely to be our first pick in any of those roles .

All midfielders who can go forward , which I've long advocated we have needed to add to our list . However to add that type of player to our 22 would need the altering of our structure , which IMO should be at the expense of predominate small forwards .
Within the current structure they would be competiting against Cotchin , Martin , Lids and Foley , which they have no hope of getting in front of .
Or as pure mids against Tuck or Grigg .
I don't see any of them as being similar to White in that he can play defensive forward , defensive mid , small defender or outside quick mid , albeit probably u likely to be our first pick in any of those roles .

Ummm, White plays what role? He is square peg in a round hole no matter where he plays or what role.

All these guys mentioned can play any role better than Matthew White. Easily. All have better skill levels.

Also, whatever role you think White plays (cause I certainly have no idea of what he does play) there will be a better player in a lower comp.

Matthew White should not be on an AFL list. It is that simple. The fact our List Management team think it is ok to hand contracts to him and Jackson and the like, when they are very average small/medium types, is a utter disgrace.

I'm all for improving a list Santa , and appreciate ideally he wouldn't be in our best 22 if we were to play in a premiership tommorrow.
However it is impossible to have a full list of players who are clearly in the best 22 of a premiership team or are definately able to in future .
Unless you are the premier and can predict the future premiership side, if you can predict that Santa your powers are beyond what you even proclaim .
We are not premiers and there have been worst players than White on premiership winning clubs lists who have played games during premiership winning seasons.

FACT: Daryl Freame (for those old enough to recall) was a premiership player for us .... Matty White likely never will be!
Maybe the fact Freame had an abundance of talent around him got him there.

FACT: Such celebrated names as Robert Eddy, Farren Ray, Andrew McQualter and Brett Peake within a few seconds of being premiership players ... Matty White hasn't cone close.

FACT: I would take Matty ahead of all these players. It's not all about getting 35 possessions each week, but contributing to a TEAM. No doubt all these players mentioned contribute something to the team. As Malthouse said ...."White gave the Tigers life when he came on". But obviously Malthouse knows nothing!

FACT: Daryl Freame (for those old enough to recall) was a premiership player for us .... Matty White likely never will be!
Maybe the fact Freame had an abundance of talent around him got him there.

FACT: Such celebrated names as Robert Eddy, Farren Ray, Andrew McQualter and Brett Peake within a few seconds of being premiership players ... Matty White hasn't cone close.

FACT: I would take Matty ahead of all these players. It's not all about getting 35 possessions each week, but contributing to a TEAM. No doubt all these players mentioned contribute something to the team. As Malthouse said ...."White gave the Tigers life when he came on". But obviously Malthouse knows nothing!

I agree entirely and IIRC I made mention of white's impact within the game day thread .

:thumbsu:Add me to the list of Matty White fans too.
can't go wrong with a guy who gives his all and bleeds yellow and black.
Good kick for goal and does have an ability to break the game open at times.

Disagree.

This guy is not enough and has never been. I can't believe we have kept him on the list for so long. Good honest trier but a VFL footballer at best. Can see him being picked up by Old Xavs or someone like that when he is delisted.

Seriously for a guy with such a big tank I don't think he has ever reached 20 touches. Generally gets between 10-15 in a full game and doesn't have the skill to make them count.

MUST BE DELISTED at the end of the year to make way for some better depth players.

Also have to wonder why we resigned Webberley given he has been getting in the bests in the VFL but never gets a look in.

Id rather white than edwards on current form.

I would have to agree. You can't though have Edwards, Jackson and White in the one team... hell I wouldn't even have any if I could. The fact is though they make a lot of stuff ups. I think White and Edwards make good subs though(would prefer White) as they are both good athletes. I actually think White is ideal for the role, just not as a full game player... too many short memories here forgetting how bad he can be at times. That being said of the three mentioned, I think White has shown the most(considering his VFL form too) this year.

Disagree.

This guy is not enough and has never been. I can't believe we have kept him on the list for so long. Good honest trier but a VFL footballer at best. Can see him being picked up by Old Xavs or someone like that when he is delisted.

Seriously for a guy with such a big tank I don't think he has ever reached 20 touches. Generally gets between 10-15 in a full game and doesn't have the skill to make them count.

MUST BE DELISTED at the end of the year to make way for some better depth players.

Also have to wonder why we resigned Webberley given he has been getting in the bests in the VFL but never gets a look in.

i dont think the posters who are defending white want him on the list for perpetuity. its just that our depth is horrendous and he is with a very small bunch of players to come in. i dont like white much but i think he is better than jacko atm. ideally in the coming seasons the likes of white ,jacko and edwards will have been pushed out for better more skilfull players.i also think some posters really believe the brains trust are oblivious to these players flaws which is garbage. its just that we want a more gradual changeover of more senior players instaed of a team of juniors. if and when the kids are better( and fitter) than these players, then they will be relegated to the 2's then delisted.sending them all to the 2's while replacing them with juniors not quite ready for senior footy will hurt the team. getting hammered doesnt help anybody, then fans gets narky bc then teams will get smashed and then the cycle will keep going around.

i dont think the posters who are defending white want him on the list for perpetuity. its just that our depth is horrendous and he is with a very small bunch of players to come in. i dont like white much but i think he is better than jacko atm. ideally in the coming seasons the likes of white ,jacko and edwards have been pushed out for better more skilfull players.i also think some posters really believe the brains trust are oblivious to these players flaws which is garbage. its just that we want a more gradual changeover of more senior players instaed of a team of juniors. if and when the kids are better( and fitter) than these players then they will be relegated to the 2's then delisted.sneding them all to the 2's then the team suffers, getting hammered doesnt help anybody, then fans gets narky bc then teams will get smashed.

Finally....:eek:....and well posted...:thumbsu:....

i dont think the posters who are defending white want him on the list for perpetuity. its just that our depth is horrendous and he is with a very small bunch of players to come in. i dont like white much but i think he is better than jacko atm. ideally in the coming seasons the likes of white ,jacko and edwards will have been pushed out for better more skilfull players.i also think some posters really believe the brains trust are oblivious to these players flaws which is garbage. its just that we want a more gradual changeover of more senior players instaed of a team of juniors. if and when the kids are better( and fitter) than these players, then they will be relegated to the 2's then delisted.sending them all to the 2's while replacing them with juniors not quite ready for senior footy will hurt the team. getting hammered doesnt help anybody, then fans gets narky bc then teams will get smashed and then the cycle will keep going around.

Or the fact that White, Jackson and Edwards are still Tigers afte we've delisted 23 or so players in three years probably tells you that our list, pre-Hardwick's arrival, was every bit as s**t as most of us realised.
Key words .. "gradual chageover".:thumbsu:
There are some on here think you can delist 12 or 13 guys at season's nd and top up with a few draft picks and seven or eight VFL or WAFL ready-mades!:rolleyes:

Can you give us some names of these players ?

Whilst im not a great watcher of lower grade footballers , but have noticed you have put the same challenge to other posters on several occasions & my answer to that question would be this.

We have just about known that players such as white,jackson etc were not up to it, But there are players such as Barlow that have been recruited to other teams.

Im not going to go through other teams list to name them atm, But just on this year Magner,couch from melbourne are looking pretty good as well.

And I would much rather of given a player like Saad a go than keep white.
We also have 4 players from lower grades that are at a higher level than mathew white.
Webberly,King,Morris,Nahas !

So there asre players that can walk in and do just as good if not better than this DUD

Whilst im not a great watcher of lower grade footballers , but have noticed you have put the same challenge to other posters on several occasions & my answer to that question would be this.

We have just about known that players such as white,jackson etc were not up to it, But there are players such as Barlow that have been recruited to other teams.

Im not going to go through other teams list to name them atm, But just on this year Magner,couch from melbourne are looking pretty good as well.

We also have 4 players from lower grades that are at a higher level than mathew white.

So there asre players that can walk in and do just as good if not better than this DUD

I seriously doubt that...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Magner has really improved the 0-4 Dees!!

Disagree.

Only 4 times in his career....:(

Close friend of Whites are we?

Don't believe I mentioned anything about my own intelligence. This site has plenty of opinions from people who are not as good at the game as those they are being critical of. If peoples opinions upset you I would suggest this site is not for you. I am overly critical of Daniel Jacksons complete game, yet I know he can still do everything better than me. Does that mean I shouldn't voice my opinion as a paying member of the team which employs these guys? At the end of the day he makes a lot more mistakes than others in an already turnover prone team, I know for a fact I'm in the majority of those that question his football smarts.

No actually I'm not, I've just met him a couple of times at Tiger functions that's all. I just called you on the stupid as "in my opinion" you're off the mark by a fair way.
Criticise him by all means, hey I'd probably join you, if he screws up on the field, but he hasn't had any real opportunity for him to do that for you this year. Either way, doesn't make him stupid.

IMO he's nowhere near as poor as is made out, he has good attributes and needs to keep working on the rest, just like probably 30 others on the list.
He's not a bad kick particularly at goal, and I've noticed at the Coburg games this year, that he's thinking about his decisions more than in previous years. Whether he'll have the time at AFL level to do the same remains to be seen.

Oh and for those that despise him only getting 10-15 touches, he hates that as much as anyone, but apparently the coaches aren't that fussed provided he does what ever he's asked to do.

I understand he couldn't be delisted in the past but surely this year is the year.

it seem to me a lot of posters want 22 lids,cotchs or martins in a team
how can white get 20+ poss a game when he is played of the bench,as a def foward as a sub etc etc

he is a depth player that does what he is told...a foot soldier that is 18 to 22 in pecking order

he will be pushed out the side as we get more elises, concas bathelors in the team...next year or the year after

for now he is doing his job....and save me the "there are better options in mature age in the vfa sanfl etc"

for every barlow there are 5 valenties.

we were picking these sort of players in 2002 when frawley thought we had a good team...how many second raters did wallace recruit....

stop baging this bloke like its his fault that we have been sh*t for 30 years..

hes been on the list for perpetuity though. thats the point.hes in yr freakin 7.
of course the club must be able to see their flaws they keep re signing them and they keep playing them here me now they the club have got it wrong and every single kpi you can come across says so. matt white should have been axed in 08 yep 08 in that time we could have had a good hard look at another two players and probably found a decent one instead of just persevering with this obvious skilless poor decision making hack.

you know what we could even have gone out and given a mature player a game players like bob mentioned your not throwing kids in the deep end then.

who wants to see 15 players gone from the list proper in one go i havent seen one person on any thread anywhere advocate that. but please tell me who should go before white small medium players that is. theres not one sml med player i would cut in front of white not even jackson or edwards and sheesh they are bad enough.

in the last 5 yrs there would be about 70 maybe more mature players taken out of minor leagues. i cant be bothered looking them all up and 99% of them would be a better player than matt white.

what does white do for our depth anyway. arnott would give us more. kids like batchelor conca cotchin ellis morris webberley have gone past him in a short space of time. players who cop plenty like nahas houli grigg have gone past him add tuck sheesh the duds are better hes not depth hes a liability.

id like a dollar for every time ive heard he be pushed out by the likes of so and so. every yr the club hangs on we get so little in return and every yr for the last 4 or 5 this debate goes around and around. the simple faxct is the likes of white and jackson should have been the first out the door when hardwick first came they are a cancer.

na forget about it it isnt worth it cant debate with someone who literally has nfi at all. you do realise what your saying dont you.

he managed just 12 games as a 6 yr player last yr because 1st and 2nd yr rookies had gone past him he played just one so far this yr and he wont get many more hes so far off the pace stevie wonder can see it. did we actually win with him in the side. of course not hes come on as a sub fresh as a daisy and we got what out of him. 3 possesions 1 gifted goal and a headless chook performance.we lost because of the hedless chooks we should have won but we keep on persevering with the glass half fulls.

you talk about losing but dont seem to realise we are losing anyway and have done for yrs on end doing exactly what you espouse.

i want a bloody premiership to get one we really have to change not keep on doing what we have done for the past 30 yrs.

this coming draft i want to see us move newman to the vets list. thats one spot. i want to see us use picks and im just guessing roughly where we will have them 7, 25 a pick we have traded into, 30 cp, 31 2nd rnd, 49 3rd rnd, 65 4th rnd, psd pick. at least 2 vfl wafl sanfl players with late picks. plus rookie picks thats 10 easy and does not include any sort of trade we may accomplish like the morris one where paid practically nothing.
that means we cut possibly 7 or 8 players from the list proper i could do 14 15 easily so 8 is conservative.

i have to ask everyone if say we cut white and replace him with sundberg what do we lose. sundberg has far better skills or attributes and the one place to judge em both at the vfl sundberg is an infinately better performer.
hes not only recognised by his club with their b&f but by the vfl as well. hes outstanding at the level.

nope it is getting beyond a joke and its sad as well that supporters can be so delusional when it comes to our players.

it seem to me a lot of posters want 22 lids,cotchs or martins in a team
how can white get 20+ poss a game when he is played of the bench,as a def foward as a sub etc etc

he is a depth player that does what he is told...a foot soldier that is 18 to 22 in pecking order

he will be pushed out the side as we get more elises, concas bathelors in the team...next year or the year after

for now he is doing his job....and save me the "there are better options in mature age in the vfa sanfl etc"

for every barlow there are 5 valenties.

we were picking these sort of players in 2002 when frawley thought we had a good team...how many second raters did wallace recruit....

stop baging this bloke like its his fault that we have been sh*t for 30 years..

Well said...:thumbsu:...

I think White's biggest issue is his inability to win contested ball. Just doesn't have the nous and skill to beat other players one on one. Even the free kick he received the other day to kick an important goal, well he was pretty lucky. There was no push in the back. So to me, that was pretty much an unusual win, and even then, he had some luck go his way to get it.

He showed once last year (Rd1 v Yarran) that he could negate a player, but to be honest, he didn't beat much that night. Yarran, even with all his skill, is also not a great contested ball winner. The match-up suited White. Just sit on his arse, and keep yelling boo in his ear. Twas pretty much a nil-all draw.

Due to this, he really needs to play the Nahas or Maric type role. Use his pace and engine to play as a dangerous forward who can move up the ground and play as a link player, receiving and giving to our better ball users. Has just never been able to play any role consistently well. You'd think he will slowly drift down the pecking order.

For now, I'd prefer to see Maric given four or five games on end. After that, we can stamp his papers one way or the other. I'm not sure who he has replaced off the LTI list, but if it is Astbury, then we need to be able to judge him whilst he can still play. I think it's fair to say that White has had this same opportunity in the past.

Really cant believe as Richmond supporters there is people supporting this guy !

We had players like Tivendale that were getting hounded to be dropped
Pettifer was also another that could not perform at the highest level
Howat was another in exactly the same boat as White and was kept on for eternity.

This guy will not be part of the richmond football club in 2014 thats 100% guaranteed so why the hell keep him for his 8th year and not try somebody els that may just turn out to become a good player.

Please guys seriously sick of these spuds holding their hand out for the dollars that really dont deserve.

lets move on from their crap and start to become a proffesional football club that doesnt carry spuds/duds for more than 2-3-4 years at the max.

Really cant believe as Richmond supporters there is people supporting this guy !

We had players like Tivendale that were getting hounded to be dropped
Pettifer was also another that could not perform at the highest level
Howat was another in exactly the same boat as White and was kept on for eternity.

This guy will not be part of the richmond football club in 2014 thats 100% guaranteed so why the hell keep him for his 8th year and not try somebody els that may just turn out to become a good player.

Please guys seriously sick of these spuds holding their hand out for the dollars that really dont deserve.

its not whites fault that he is on our list or in the side....dont bag him bag the match commitee for picking him and who ever made the desision to keep him on the list.....

i will support him because he tries his best when given a chance...is he good enought...s%^t NO....but we are stuck with the 42 that are on the list

tell me who would you have played in front of him last week? its recruting desisions from years back that are killing us...whether white played or not agains geelong meant ****all to the result

i can undrstand that you and most others are sick of loosing,i have to buy a new tv after the sirent went on sunday...but we need to take our frustrations out on the people that still have him on the list.....not the player ...he will allways try his ****ing guts out when given a chance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back