Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll jump on the Goodes train, too!

One curious thing about Goodes is his elbows- they bend to an unusual degree. Anyway, just sayin'.

What a fantastic player, probably one of the most versatile and athletic footballers of recent times. Deserves every accolade.

At times he comes across as selfish and puts himself before the team.

Having said that though you can't argue with what he has achieved. Terrific player!!

I'm not even saying those players/incidents are horrible unforgivable things. But there's a double standard. Goodes hasn't been perfect over his career, but his 'indiscrections' are so overhyped. He bumped into Hird's back a few times and clashed shins with Surjan, what a monster!

Mate he put a guy on antibiotics. How do you think his family feels?

One of the elite players. I cannot think of anyone else that can go from ruck to KP to top end mid.
I love watching him and reckon he is just a total class act.

Goodes was never really a ruckman - even in his brownlow year of '03 he barely was in the top 30 ruckmen in the comp by hitouts.

He was always a top-end midfielder who stood in the middle at the bounces.

High quality player, very damaging in a team that was very much structured around him.

He doesn't like chasing too much, but it didn't really matter when he had plenty of blokes to back him up to let him do what he does best.

Awesome player, absolute match winner.

Has played some titanic games against the Eagles over the years.

Most distinct thought that springs to mind when A.Goodes is mentioned is his goal on the run, 10 seconds into the final quarter of the '06 Grand Final.

I was sitting behind the goals, as soon as he got the handball off Hall I knew it was going to split the big ones.

He is still quick and super agile, if he still has the fire raging inside I think he could have at least two years left.

Champion Swans player, champion indigenous player, entirely appropriate that he'll hold the record. If it's officially broken interstate, you just have a second celebration at home, every club has done it.

Btw the wholehearted, unanimous love-in would be on the club board. Every one of these threads on the main board turns up a variety of opinion (except, I think, Robert Harvey's retirement?) so glad sanity prevailed.

He's a legend, pure and simple.

I remember his 6 goal effort in the VFL and saying to my brother that I'd love the Swans to pick up a player like that. It's funny that I read the draft selections in a newspaper at the highschool library and saw that we'd taken him and was pleasantly surprised. Who knew he'd turn out to be as good as he is?

It'll be a sad and strange day when he retires, I feel like he's played for Sydney forever and he should continue playing forever.

He deserves another flag before he retires.

I dont get the hate? He is not dirty, he does throw his arms up in the air ala Richo and many others do but he is a gun and a absolute pleasure to watch, when on song he is poetry in motion.. Good Onya Goodesy...:thumbsu:

The thing that is dumb about the Goodes hate on BigFooty and to a lesser extent the media, is that people have these huge double standards. We just got done having a week long Dustin Fletcher love-fest a couple of weeks a go. Obviously he's a legend of the game but he's got a record twice as long as Goodes. Fletcher's been cited for tripping like five times now. But when he does anything it's just wily old timer.

Judd's an eye gouger.

Richo was one of the most petulant team mates of the modern era, but hey he was a character in a really crappy team so who cares?

I'm not even saying those players/incidents are horrible unforgivable things. But there's a double standard. Goodes hasn't been perfect over his career, but his 'indiscrections' are so overhyped. He bumped into Hird's back a few times and clashed shins with Surjan, what a monster!

He is a magnificent player. Anyone who disputes that is an idiot.

He is definitely not a 100% clean player though, and it's this perception that he is a saint that shits me. He gets in cheapies now and again - absolutely not to such an awful extent that i'd label him a sniper or anything like that, but enough to make me roll my eyes when someone tries to extoll his virtues and proposes him as the next pope or something.

You won't like that but i'm trying to address your quandary.

That said, he's a brilliant athlete with superb skills and is a genuine matchwinner. Also has a great footy brain, he's the complete package.

He is a magnificent player. Anyone who disputes that is an idiot.

He is definitely not a 100% clean player though, and it's this perception that he is a saint that shits me. He gets in cheapies now and again - absolutely not to such an awful extent that i'd label him a sniper or anything like that, but enough to make me roll my eyes when someone tries to extoll his virtues and proposes him as the next pope or something.

You won't like that but i'm trying to address your quandary.

That said, he's a brilliant athlete with superb skills and is a genuine matchwinner. Also has a great footy brain, he's the complete package.

So be it. He's played 300 games and had the odd moment. Who's played 300 games and not had an altercation of some description. It's not like any action has ever left a player grasping for any length of time though is it.

He's not the next pope, A total clean skin isn't going to gel as a leader of the club.

It's not like he is a Greg Williams in the other direction either.

His work rate at training has inspired others to push further and improve and we have no trouble putting him up as what I would call the three pillars of the club.

For all that's said the Swans would be a significantly poorer place not to have had him in the team and the culture at the club is all the better for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sat through a whole footyshow episode tonight (which finished at 1:30am here in Sydney) for them to go "and uhh Goodes to be the Swans record holder. What a great effort by the guy. MOVING on... bla bla bla"

Lame... lol. But yeah what an amazing guy. He's done so much for AFL in Sydney and is just about a household name. Hes not just some fancy streaky player who butters up crap teams. He always lifts when we're down and against the best. He's such a great player and captain and pretty much my hero. He was awarded 2010 Australian Charity person of the year. Like the entire Swans team, hes never had an off-field discretion and he's such a great rolemodel.

I wish this was game in Sydney but hopefully we can beat Hawthorn for him.

So be it. He's played 300 games and had the odd moment. Who's played 300 games and not had an altercation of some description. It's not like any action has ever left a player grasping for any length of time though is it.

He's not the next pope, A total clean skin isn't going to gel as a leader of the club.

It's not like he is a Greg Williams in the other direction either.

His work rate at training has inspired others to push further and improve and we have no trouble putting him up as what I would call the three pillars of the club.

For all that's said the Swans would be a significantly poorer place not to have had him in the team and the culture at the club is all the better for it.

Well said Cas!!

Absolute superstar, if he played in Melbourne he would get more credit.

Don't know about that. Goodes is still seen as a superstar around the country and gets plenty of attention and credit wherever he goes.

Just about every Swans game you watch on tv the commentators always bang on about him which is usually because he's dominating the game but even when he isn't they are talking about why he isn't dominating the game.

I love watching him as a player, he is freakishly skilled for a guy his size and not many better players to watch when he is in full flight. A worthy Swans games record holder.

Great player for the Swans and one of the finest to play for us. Great to see two cousins for the club have the number 1 and 2 spots for the games record for the club.

I for one will be there and it will be the first time i see to Swans play so hopefully it will be a great day and experience and see a Swans win :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back