deliberate!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2003
In Bake Jatchelor's shadow
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I just want to know why the RFC drafted this guy if we are not going to play him?

What's the point of giving him large amounts of game time in the Nab Cup, yet not giving him the time to adapt to the season proper?

Why draft him?

We have plenty of yo-yo players in and out of the Seniors. Why another?

:confused:

Yeah, it's a bit rough to start the year as the sub, get dropped and then re-called after a good game in the VFL only to be dropped again a game later (al be it a poor one).

I guess whitey, webs et al are bigger bodies that can rotate through the middle, where as maric is seen as more of a pure forward?

He'll play again this year, and didnt cost much as a rookie pick...

I just want to know why the RFC drafted this guy if we are not going to play him?

What's the point of giving him large amounts of game time in the Nab Cup, yet not giving him the time to adapt to the season proper?

Why draft him?

Um, maybe he's out of form? Maybe there is such a thing as team matchups where certain players don't get a game against certain teams? It's not the 90s anymore... The teams are flexible. Or maybe he's just the 22nd/23rd best player and by the nature of that he gets yo-yo'd in and out of the team?

Yeah, it's a bit rough to start the year as the sub, get dropped and then re-called after a good game in the VFL only to be dropped again a game later (al be it a poor one).

I guess whitey, webs et al are bigger bodies that can rotate through the middle, where as maric is seen as more of a pure forward?

He'll play again this year, and didnt cost much as a rookie pick...

Yeh WATiger, willing to hear any reasoning, cause I'm stumped.

Whitey would be a bigger body, but if Kingy was fit, he'd be in there instead. :confused:

Who had the better pre-season? Whitey or Maric?

Yeh WATiger, willing to hear any reasoning, cause I'm stumped.

Whitey would be a bigger body, but if Kingy was fit, he'd be in there instead. :confused:

Who had the better pre-season? Whitey or Maric?

Yeah against a tall eagles side it looks like they've opted against another small and replaced Maric with a taller player. When fit this debate becomes mute, as Kingy will take the defensive forward spot...

It's a bit like the treatment of post last year - hard to explain from an outsiders point of view just why some are given an extended run at it while others and yo-yo'd up and down...

As to why they drafted him, they (FJ, BH et al) obviously thought Maric to be a better player than any of the other rookies available when they took him - Having maric next in line to Nahas and King gives us some depth in an area are pretty thin on.. especially since Taylor and now McDonald have gone walk-a-bout!

Seems to have really struggled to get the pace of the game. I thought he might have been given one of those famous blocks of 4 games to get amongst it though. Will see him at VFL level again tomorrow will be interesting to see if he responds in the same way or drops his head.

*wahwahwah* We need more depth so player need to earn a spot in the team.

<depth added>

*wahwahwah* <depth player> isn't getting a good enough run even though he doesn't deserve it.

----------

If he wants a longer run, he can earn it.

He gave at least 2 if not 3 complete non-efforts at contests last week in a pretty short space of time, and was subbed immediately after one of them. I'm guessing that's why.

I can understand dropping him this week as he was poor last week. What I cannot understand us why he was dropped after week 1. He did several good things against Carlton with one or two goal assists and had a goal stopped on the line. I felt he contributed more than many that day (especially Vickery!) but was dropped. Players confidence gets sapped with moves like that. He has not recovered since.

Why draft him?

Firstly we didnt draft him, we rookied him.
Secondly he showed enough in the pre season to be elevated to the list proper.
Thirdly he didnt fire in his call up to the seniors and now needs to go back and work on his game.
Fourthly if he doesnt up the ante see fifthly
Fifthly he will be playing elsewhere

This is how rookie drafts operate. You see something, you give them a chance, they take it or they dont, or they cut it or they dont.
Its up to him to make good at Coburg now and force his way back in with consistent form there.
By and large rookies make good because they work their butts off, i.e. Axel.
Also by and large the rookie draft is a throw of the dice. You take in a group and you hope 1 stands up and makes the grade. If you fail then you take in another group next year. Thats the nature of the beast. ;)

He shouldn't be at the club . Is to small and his defensive efforts are non existent . His spot upon the rookie list should have been taken by a mid who can kick goals . Very very poor list management decision IMO .

Poor list management?

It was a rookie pick. Although there are success stories, the majority of rookie picks won't go on to anything. Maric, as a ready made player who fills a positional need was probably better value than some speculative 18 year old who had question marks on him.

It's not like we overlooked some gun player to get him. A "mid who kicks goals" - if he was any good, would have been taken in the NAB draft.

He is small, but Foley and Nahas are similar sizes, so we can't just exclude him on that basis.

He was worth a punt, if he can get some defensive improvement he'l be a handy depth player, if not then no harm is done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be related to the lack of cohesian of the forward line at the moment.
It might be completelty unrelated, but is the first year that Mark Williams has taken the Forwards Coach position? Danny Daly was there last year i believe.

Was it poor list management in the preseason when he was doing well? FFS some people have such simplistic minds, I wonder how they operate in real life.

If people want to wring their hands about why we didn't get a midfielder, then by all means get wound up about the National Draft (even then i'd think you were a fool for thinking you know more than the recruiters do), not some speculative rookie pick that it's too early to make a call on anyway.

Poor list management?

It was a rookie pick. Although there are success stories, the majority of rookie picks won't go on to anything. Maric, as a ready made player who fills a positional need was probably better value than some speculative 18 year old who had question marks on him.

It's not like we overlooked some gun player to get him. A "mid who kicks goals" - if he was any good, would have been taken in the NAB draft.

He is small, but Foley and Nahas are similar sizes, so we can't just exclude him on that basis.

He was worth a punt, if he can get some defensive improvement he'l be a handy depth player, if not then no harm is done.

Was it poor list management in the preseason when he was doing well? FFS some people have such simplistic minds, I wonder how they operate in real life.

If people want to wring their hands about why we didn't get a midfielder, then by all means get wound up about the National Draft (even then i'd think you were a fool for thinking you know more than the recruiters do), not some speculative rookie pick that it's too early to make a call on anyway.
I don't think we had a player shortage in the role he plays and had a greater shortage of depth in midfielders who can go forward and I think to date my thoughts have been proven correct .
Oh it's only a rookie pick so it's not that big of a deal , BS football departments are littered with people in full time employment to get every selection right .
Our current depth issues at the moment, are a result of poor low order drafting / rookie selections .

FOR mine, hasn't improved at all from his Melbourne days.
Easily brushed aside, doesn't get a lot of it and not a particularly great-user of the ball and struggling with the pace of the game. He's there to apply pressure and kick goals and at the moment is doing neither.
Obviously earned a spot with a big pre-season .... pre-season form is hugely misleading!
Happy to take the punt on rookie listing him in the hopes he becomes the small forward we crave ... that said, I don't thiink he's it!

I don't think we had a player shortage in the role he plays and had a greater shortage of depth in midfielders who can go forward and I think to date my thoughts have been proven correct .
Oh it's only a rookie pick so it's not that big of a deal , BS football departments are littered with people in full time employment to get every selection right .
Our current depth issues at the moment, are a result of poor low order drafting / rookie selections .

Obviously the club disagrees with you (as do many here). The club rookie listed both Maric and Turner. Both forward crumbers. They probably thought we only had two genuine ones in King and Nahas. With an injury to one of those guys (as has already happened) this would leave us perilously close to not having a forward crumber at all.

As many have said, it was a weak draft. To find a goal kicking mid in the rookie segment, they would have had to be overlooked umpteen times over by the rest of the competition. It's not that we would have overlooked a very obvious good player.

Think about it.

I can understand dropping him this week as he was poor last week. What I cannot understand us why he was dropped after week 1. He did several good things against Carlton with one or two goal assists and had a goal stopped on the line. I felt he contributed more than many that day (especially Vickery!) but was dropped. Players confidence gets sapped with moves like that. He has not recovered since.

I think only reason maric got dropped round 2 was because king was available. maric would have had to kick 4 goals, have 8 tackles and 15 + touches to stay in. which he didnt.

Regardless of whether football departments are 'littered' with people to get it right, they don't get it right do they. So deal with it. And more importantly, it is WAY too early to know whether they got it right yet.

What exactly are our depth issues anyhow? Don't confuse depth with talent. They way you carry on you're pissed off that every single player on our list isn't a star.

He shouldn't be at the club . Is to small and his defensive efforts are non existent . His spot upon the rookie list should have been taken by a mid who can kick goals . Very very poor list management decision IMO .

Yes totally agree plus I think he is total crap!

Played in round 1 i think, didnt do anything. we put him in the vfl. didnt really provide much consistently and when king got hurt he mustve been rejoiced because he knew that he was the only other one to play his position. played against geelong and did nothing

Obviously the club disagrees with you (as do many here). The club rookie listed both Maric and Turner. Both forward crumbers. They probably thought we only had two genuine ones in King and Nahas. With an injury to one of those guys (as has already happened) this would leave us perilously close to not having a forward crumber at all.

As many have said, it was a weak draft. To find a goal kicking mid in the rookie segment, they would have had to be overlooked umpteen times over by the rest of the competition. It's not that we would have overlooked a very obvious good player.

Think about it.

I don't see the need for small goal kickers who are not able to rotate onto the ball . It's a pet hate of mine and the fact we so many upon our list annoys the s**t out of me . Especially when you see guys like josh hunt brush the aside and rebound the ball into our backline pretty much unpressured. Or even worst when opposi g sides dominate through the middle when we go to our 2 nd and 3 rd stringers .

The guy was originally taken at pick 21, so there is clearly some talent there.

That he was delisted, and slid so far down the draft suggests he also has clear problems with his game.

Rookie picks are always hit or miss, and if you get 1 in 10 to be a decent player, that's a pretty good hit rate.

So if the coaches think they have a better than 1 in 10 chance of getting him to rectify his shortcomings, he was worth taking. It will probably take time though, and if that means a long stint at Coburg, or being in and out of the team, so be it.

Maric is one of those guys that has plenty of talent - top 20 pick to Melbourne I think - but a poor attitude. Great rookie pick. If he clicks you get talent, if he doesn't you don't lose much. To me the problem for BF is that he shows real talent, but doesn't produce at the AFL level. therefore people notice and talk about him. I'd like him to come good, but if not I agree with the logic of the pick. The rookie draft is about long shots and filling needs with guys that have certain tools, but lack others. Foley came though, most don't and Maric might not. We'll see over time. I'm fairly relaxed given the logic of AFL drafting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back