Review Round 5: Gold Coast v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

4th quarter wasn't AS bad as the third, though certainly not special. Just need to kick straight and we'd be closer.

Seems to be just the one quarter that kills us.

If you had asked me to take a 34 point defeat to North at ETIHAD no less, given their recent form, without Ablett, Rischitelli and Harbrow, arguably our biggest playmakers off defense and through the middle, I would have taken it.

Just that one quarter... kills us every time. When we can block the flow there, we're in a chance to win many more games.

Not surprised to see Horsely playing so well after seeing him dominate last year for Subiaco.

4th quarter wasn't AS bad as the third, though certainly not special. Just need to kick straight and we'd be closer.

Seems to be just the one quarter that kills us.

If you had asked me to take a 34 point defeat to North at ETIHAD no less, given their recent form, without Ablett, Rischitelli and Harbrow, arguably our biggest playmakers off defense and through the middle, I would have taken it.

Just that one quarter... kills us every time. When we can block the flow there, we're in a chance to win many more games.

Hear what you're saying Sunny, but that was nearly our most even performance of the year
You only have to be off 5% for a good team like North to put their foot on your throat
With our injuries and young list, I'm relaxed about that performance
Horsley made a fine debut
Warnock ...perplexing he couldn't get a game at Melbourne..has been good for us so far

I think our Essendon game was perhaps better than tonight, but that game tonight was definitely a step in the right direction.

Matty Warnock -- consistently playing on gun forwards. Leading spoiler in the league Shaw said I think? :D Not a bad effort considering how much pressure he's always under.

Harley seems to be getting better with each and every week. So glad he re-signed. :D

Hunt... jeez he's a wrecking ball. Love the way he goes about it. I thought his head got taken off for a moment but he got right back up. :eek:

Dixon a great return into the seniors. Will hold his spot over Fraser. He may not get the taps, but he just busts his gut for the second efforts.

Horse a great debut. Just looked at his stats, fantastic defensive player! 8 tackles along with 19 possessions. Shame we cannot see him through the whole year.

Lynch and Day really showed something up forward I think. Was waiting for Day to present something, and really did so tonight.

Wilkinson had a real shaky return. Will probably be dropped after that effort. Looked uncomfortable every time he had it.

Smith really down. Haven't seen him that down all year. Was a shame, since I thought he was coming back to form. Really beaten tonight.

1. Brennan needs to be dropped.

2. Harley is a deadset legend.

3. Great that we can show a big effort without Gaz.

4. To all the North fans raving on in the previous week about how they wanted to smash us by 200 or whatever, ha. I'm glad we stuck to our guns for about a half. Takes the sting out of their win.

5. Horsely will fit in quite nicely.

6. Hunt played well, once again.

I think our Essendon game was perhaps better than tonight, but that game tonight was definitely a step in the right direction.

Matty Warnock -- consistently playing on gun forwards. Leading spoiler in the league Shaw said I think? :D Not a bad effort considering how much pressure he's always under.

Harley seems to be getting better with each and every week. So glad he re-signed. :D

Hunt... jeez he's a wrecking ball. Love the way he goes about it. I thought his head got taken off for a moment but he got right back up. :eek:

Dixon a great return into the seniors. Will hold his spot over Fraser. He may not get the taps, but he just busts his gut for the second efforts.

Horse a great debut. Just looked at his stats, fantastic defensive player! 8 tackles along with 19 possessions. Shame we cannot see him through the whole year.

Lynch and Day really showed something up forward I think. Was waiting for Day to present something, and really did so tonight.

Wilkinson had a real shaky return. Will probably be dropped after that effort. Looked uncomfortable every time he had it.

Smith really down. Haven't seen him that down all year. Was a shame, since I thought he was coming back to form. Really beaten tonight.

Seriously? Surely Ablett could come in for Brennan or Brown instead?

Seriously? Surely Ablett could come in for Brennan or Brown instead?

Horsley is a rookie, and will only be on the senior list until Harbrow recovers. He's only playing since Harbs is on the LTI. Nominated rookie.

Horse will have 10 or so weeks until Harbrow comes back in, where he takes his spot once more. At least that's my understanding of how the rule works.

He'll be elevated though at the end of this year though, that's for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see Ablett start frward when he comes in and let the young guys start in the middle, i think they lift when he isnt there and overall are a better team. Brennan needs to go forward as well he is a liability in the backline but could give that creative flair and take the big mark which is needed up forward

1. Brennan needs to be dropped.

2. Harley is a deadset legend.

3. Great that we can show a big effort without Gaz.

4. To all the North fans raving on in the previous week about how they wanted to smash us by 200 or whatever, ha. I'm glad we stuck to our guns for about a half. Takes the sting out of their win.

5. Horsely will fit in quite nicely.

6. Hunt played well, once again.
Well done on a great performance.

I hope I don't sound patronising considering you guys lost, but I genuienely thought the Suns showed a lot tonight. Maintained pressure for for most of the game and forced our blokes into mistakes. All while missing some key experienced players. Definitely going to be hard to beat in a couple of years.

Well done on a great performance.

not sure it was great ...but you beat Geelong by not much less a couple of weeks ago at the same venue, so you can understand our anxiety without our 3 top playmakers
Thomas and Petrie made a big difference and I haven't changed my opinion that Leigh Adams should be captain of the NMFC

Horsley is a rookie, and will only be on the senior list until Harbrow recovers. He's only playing since Harbs is on the LTI. Nominated rookie.

Horse will have 10 or so weeks until Harbrow comes back in, where he takes his spot once more. At least that's my understanding of how the rule works.

He'll be elevated though at the end of this year though, that's for sure.

You'd be fairly lucky to make it through that period without another 8+ week injury to someone on your list.

real melbourne weather up here on the coast today. cool, wet, and raining.

no ablett. look for a huge game from hunt. he'll take extra responsibility on today, and with much more loose ball around on the ground, he might get to use his rugby skills tackling and bumping.

the weather might bring NM back to the pack a bit, so look for the suns to be in the game.....even win it.?:eek:

at half time i thought i had become methuselah....ah well. the boys done fine..

The important facet for you guys is to win your share of clearances and CP's and capitalise on them.

Forget about talk of 20 goal beltings, there's too much talent in the Suns line up.

I think a lot of people, including some of your own supporters, are underselling the talent in the Suns line up.

The scoreboard probably flattered you guys in the end, but the work in the contests from such a young side was eye catching.

Hey Old shcool thanks for the comments, I wish a few more of your fellow Roo supporters showed the same level of respect, comments such as North will be looking to exceeding the Bombers first quarter record score against us on your board dont endear these people to us. I hope you found our board to be a little more tolerant and and inviting.

Good luck for the rest of the year.

I might go into more detail later but I'll say this for now, Super impressed with how we did considering the injury toll.

BUT We need to stop falling apart after half time and as my mate says (Rather quite loud mind you) Give him a lead!

The reason Brennan looked like he played like crap is because he had nothing to kick to, He had to force balls in to places he shouldn't of had to if someone would do some running and make a lead he might not have to make those "bad" kicks.

But we don't have Harbow to run it out of the backline so that's hurt us there too.

I might go into more detail later but I'll say this for now, Super impressed with how we did considering the injury toll.

BUT We need to stop falling apart after half time and as my mate says (Rather quite loud mind you) Give him a lead!

The reason Brennan looked like he played like crap is because he had nothing to kick to, He had to force balls in to places he shouldn't of had to if someone would do some running and make a lead he might not have to make those "bad" kicks.

But we don't have Harbow to run it out of the backline so that's hurt us there too.

Agree 100% with this. Know your team mates limitations, as well as your own. Brennan had a right to be frustrated. Personally I know I can only kick 45m consistently, my team mates know my limitations and you get leads accordingly. Not 70m from play, or no leads at all. :eek:

Other than that, good endeavour for about 60-70% of the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back