Foxtel Cup 2012

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Only saw the last 3 quarters, but Morningside were clearly a class above. Might have been a bit more interesting if it rained throughout the game, around the contests it looked pretty even but they were on 2 different levels IRT skill.

Looking at the fixture it's likely their next game will be away to either Port or Subi and i'd expect them to get towelled up. Their best 10 or so players are pretty decent but their depth was weak.

exit

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Port rested 9 of their senior players. I think some teams take this comp more seriously than others. The top SANFL sides couldn't be bothered participating. Not saying I agree with it. Personally I'd like to see Norwood having a dib at this format, but they obviously don't rate it highly on their agenda.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Continued today with Werribee giving Burnie a massive belting. There was a guy running around for Burnie that was genuinely fat. And it turns out he's their captain. Probably says something about the gap in professionalism between the VFL and TSL if the scoreboard doesn't.

mighty tiges

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2002
oneeyed-richmond.com
AFL Club
Richmond
Better off having another NEAFL side rather than two Tassie sides. The Swans ressies lead the Eastern Conference all year last year before Ainslie upset them in the GF. They would be more competitive than a second Tassie side.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Better off having another NEAFL side rather than two Tassie sides. The Swans ressies lead the Eastern Conference all year last year before Ainslie upset them in the GF. They would be more competitive than a second Tassie side.

Yes that would be one answer to it. Then again maybe if Tassie footy got the same handouts that the NEAFL, VFL, SANFL, &WAFL sides get, then they probably would become more competitive. But heaven forbid wasting money in Tasmania.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Maybe if AFL Tas wasn't run by clowns who put too many teams into a new state league, and the decide to make teams out of nothing to replace some of those same teams, and the league and game were allowed some stability things ouwld be better in a few years.
Fifteen years of neglect, and occasional deliberate hindrance from the AFL, and the same of pure mismanagement locally - none worse than under the current mob - has virtually destroyd the game in Tassie. Having a state league again should help, if all the clubs and not just the chosen few got some support from league headquarters.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes that would be one answer to it. Then again maybe if Tassie footy got the same handouts that the NEAFL, VFL, SANFL, &WAFL sides get, then they probably would become more competitive. But heaven forbid wasting money in Tasmania.

This year there is money being put into tassie footy. I heard each state league club will get a afl grant of around 70k. No doubt not before time. Neafl clubs don't get massive handout(clubs get afl staff to help manage) money generated from pokies and sponsorship.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

Well, I guess you could give more money to Tassie so their clubs can recruit from all those leagues you mentioned to improve the standard. But what would be the point? You'd just be throwing money so hack players could get a better paycheck. Grant money should predominantly go into junior development and facilities.

The major reasons those leagues are better quality is a larger population and player base.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well, I guess you could give more money to Tassie so their clubs can recruit from all those leagues you mentioned to improve the standard. But what would be the point? You'd just be throwing money so hack players could get a better paycheck. Grant money should predominantly go into junior development and facilities.

The major reasons those leagues are better quality is a larger population and player base.

AFL Tas use to employ people to do junior development about the place. They sacked them & now Each TSL club gets 50k which is for junior development. Some 'special' clubs get extra to pay for administration. The salary cap is still 80k which is not enough to keep most guys in the game. Some very good players have gone to lower leagues with less training & more $$$. The Tsl is just about a kids league now.
I remember in the 1990's the Tas state team beat WAFL, SANFL & VFL on occassion. That tells you that if the league was funded better then the standard would be better.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Recruiting from interstate isn't the issue, actually having the best players in the state playing in the state league is the big problem. Especialy on the north-west, where the NTFL (north Tas, not Territory) salary cap is almost level with the TSL one. Players who would be roughly numbers 3-5 on a TSL list can earn more for less effort and less travel (again, something affecting the north-west clubs the most) by playing in the NTFL.

And in today's game, no surprise that Ainslie were no match for West Perth. I still don't understand why the game was scheduled for Sydney and not Canberra. Presumably the production crew are in Sydney already for the AFL game tomorrow and the cost of playing the game - transporting people and equipment - at Manuka was more than Fox were willing to bear.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought it was a good showing by ainslie to be honest. They were never going to win but they were by no means disgraced. 6-7 goals was better than I thought they would do. Better than the 130 point massacre we saw last week.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I thought it was a good showing by ainslie to be honest. They were never going to win but they were by no means disgraced. 6-7 goals was better than I thought they would do. Better than the 130 point massacre we saw last week.

Yeah, it was. I semi expected West Perth to win by 10+ goals, although they made about 10 changes from the side that played in the WAFL last week. Travel has a pretty bit impact as well, most of these guys aren't used to it.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
So remind me again why the top SA sides don't enter the foxtel cup, if they could just rest most of their players and give experience to their reserves, and potentially earn some extra cash.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/no-name-bloods-in-foxtel-cup/story-e6freckc-1226340589936
This is exactly why the top SA sides haven't entered the competition - it's a Mickey Mouse competition with minimal interest by clubs and supporters alike, and the prize money is hardly worth it.

Only good thing is it provides something to put on the TV on most Saturday mornings.

Hawker81

Team Captain
Apr 3, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is exactly why the top SA sides haven't entered the competition - it's a Mickey Mouse competition with minimal interest by clubs and supporters alike, and the prize money is hardly worth it.

Only good thing is it provides something to put on the TV on most Saturday mornings.

What would the prize money have to be for SA teams to enter? The winner this year will receive $60K.

Hawker81

Team Captain
Apr 3, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Look forward to seeing Port Melbourne play in the foxtel cup this year. A lazy 126 point win today for the borough over carlton's reserves. 27 wins in a row now. Actually f*** the foxtel cup, would like to see them play a game against Melbourne.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Claremont flogged West Adelaide by 101 points after only being 14 pts up at half-time. The Tigers had 30 scoring shots from just 35 inside 50s. Great defence Westies :eek:.

Shortened game too. It's the equivalent of a 150 point defeat in a full length game.

Given West Adelaide are currently sitting 3rd, that's just embarassing for the SANFL, even if it's a weakened side.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Shortened game too. It's the equivalent of a 150 point defeat in a full length game.

Given West Adelaide are currently sitting 3rd, that's just embarassing for the SANFL, even if it's a weakened side.
Must have been real embarrassing for the WAFL the other week that their 2nd placed side (Subiaco) lost to the SANFL's 8th placed side (Port Magpies)

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I am completely over South Australian football. 1st they put in lower sides and then West Adelaide disgraced themselves and SA footy today. What they dished up today the teams here in QLD would have beaten.

I am over this "we will put a weak team in then we have an excuse for getting flogged rubbish". Claremont got it right and it is how all the strong teams should play it (VFL, WAFL, SANFL). First round rest 5-6 older boys and blood a few young guys that just may put in an eye catching performance to assist draft prospects. Still a strong enough team to win if you play well. As the competition progresses and depending on how its going in the state league maybe look to pick a stronger team or stick with what happened in round 1.

All other weaker comps, teams should play very close to their best team to have the best chance of not getting flogged.

The foxtel cup is a terrific opportunity for participating clubs and 60K for the winner is not to be sneezed at-not to mention the national exposure.

SANFL clubs should get over themselves.

Back