Preview Round 5: Lions v Cats

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australian International Sides
To clarify, By saying Selwood is gutless i mean that he is of weak moral character and lacks a common sense of decency that one might expect of a footballer.

Got nothing to do with his bravery. Plenty of brave players out there who i would say were gutless. Alastair Clarkson, Leigh Matthews (just for that hit on Bruns), Matthew Lloyd, etc.

Selwood is on his way to Manchester.....God knows we need a natural gifted diver in the Olympic squad..

Vipertooth

Club Legend
May 16, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sorry guys its all my fault, I wasnt wearing my 09 lions jumper and watching the game at my aunts/uncles (who has austar).

I was at theirs and wearing the jumper for both the melb and goldcoast games, will try to help the team by repeating that behaviour next week against the bombers!

GO LIONS :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

acuguy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 31, 2000
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Endeavour was there but in the end we were beat up by harder bigger bodies in Chapman, Bartel, Corey, Enright, Scarlett and Co. We just don't have those guys with 6-10 pre seasons in them. When we do we will be ultra competitive. Anyone thinking this is a living in fantasy land posts only needs to

Think back to the day that a mature bodied Michael Voss crunched a young Joel Corey into the ground and snapped his collar bone. You would need a mack truck to snap Corey's collarbone these days!!

Endeavour great, top 10 picks in Rich and Polec really good at times.

Lester was excellent and Cornelius was doing a power of work off the ball.

Look forward to a competitive showing next week against the dons in slightly better conditions.

harvester

Team Captain
Jun 6, 2010
gold coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
well said acuguy, we made lots of mistakes due to weather/geelongs pressure.
They tried hard, it will click in a few years.
loved rainesy, held his head high the whole match even with geelong giving it to him after the chin music to selwood.
I think banfield needs to go back to reserves for a month and macgrath forward.
Just to kick some goals, think he is feeling the pressure to perform, needs a break.
Crisp has some energy, love what he will offer the teamm in a year or so, but he needs to have a spell too.

Nick Lions

All Australian
Sep 15, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Final note, why are so many of our ex players assistant coaches at rival clubs? Please lets start bringing a few home, imagine Nigel Lappin as a midfield coach and Leppitsch as a defensive coach. Would be a nice throwback to the old days as well as a fair bit of knowledge coming in. No offense to the current coaching group, as I'm confident we've got a good coaching group at the moment.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I'm sure they are probably settled in Victoria, with their families, but we should be doing as much as possible to convince these guys to return to Brisbane. Lappin in particular, would bring a wealth of knowledge from his time at Geelong.

Bobby Beecroft

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2003
Junction Oval Goalsquare
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions THFC
Strange game & not sure what to make of it.

Some things I take from it:
- I didn't expect to win last night, as I said to a mate who asked me about it yesterday 'it will be a case of boys v men'. At least the boys did have a crack.
- Yes I am a broken record but Merrett know needs to spend the rest of the season down back. The opportunity cost of playing him up forward is far too great for what we get out of it. That said he was horrible last night.
- Patty K needs to be constantly played in the seniors. Came on for just over a quarter & had 3 shots on goal - is a goal kicker & we have a dearth of these types. If the pattern remains he will be dropped next week. :confused:
- Combining the above 2 points. If we line up with a traditional 6 man forward that contains Merrett & Sheldon that is that is 33% of a forward line that does not have the ability to apply scoreboard pressure. It needs to be altered if we are to compete even with the middle of the road sides.
- Would still like to see Josh Green given an opportunity, even if just as a small forward. Has more to offer is so many areas than some currently being played. Pleasing to see appears to be playing this role well for periods in the Reserves.
- We had little composure & clean ball skills handling. Even something as basic as kicking. When Geelong had a shot on goal I had a feeling that they would convert with us I feared we would struggle to make the distance.
- The game was representative of where each playing list is at. It will be the games against the likes of Richmond, Port, Footscray, etc that will show as to whether we are improving.

muttweed

Cancelled
May 28, 2011
Western VIC
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Josh Caddy
I just hope Joel the Milkman got all his deliveries done tonight,
I hope you feel better after a loss for tormenting a player that plays within the rules.

...I know I did with Ballantyne in Round 1 :D

I think you'll find he was using the word brave sarcastically and it should be read as "brave" to get his true meaning ;)
He won the Most Courageous AFL Player award at what, 21, and so far this year he has come off the ground injured at least once each game with a head injury of some sort.

It may not be smart, and his ducking technique may annoy the hell out of you, but do not for one second deny the guy's courage.

To clarify, By saying Selwood is gutless i mean that he is of weak moral character and lacks a common sense of decency that one might expect of a footballer.
So now you're comparing him to other footballers.

Selwood is a top 10 player in the comp, whether he ducks/dives/snipes or not. If he had any sort of mental weakness, he wouldn't be captain of a triple premiership team at 23.

So Hawkins instantly transforms from being one of the worst kicks for goal in the competition into a player that cannot miss in atrocious conditions.
When Tomma was young, he was a BEAUTIFUL kick. He was a good player when he first came to AFL, then had two and a half s**t years following that (probably something to do with confidence). Then Wayne Carey had a chat to Hawkins (coincidentally the week of the 2011 Brisbane game), gave him some tips and a bit of confidence and from then on he was a totally different player. Last year he took it to a different level vs Brisbane, I hope he just did it again :D

He finished last year with 27 goals. In 5 games this year, he has 18 goals.

Anyway, Tom is a real confidence kicker. He has a ton atm, he won't miss too much if it stays up.

I will never hate Wayne Carey for anything ever.

Bobby Beecroft

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2003
Junction Oval Goalsquare
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions THFC
Special mentions to Hudson & Raines.

Both while limited in what they maybe able to do have manfully stuck to there tasks over the last 2 weeks, and are providing great examples to the young guys as to levels of persistance/on field commitment required at this level. :thumbsu:

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Raines, Sheldon (Out)

Bartlett, Zorko (In)

:p:thumbsu:

Unfortunately I think it's time to start thinking about Banfield to. I said 12mths ago he just isn't a one touch player. Now it seems he's not even a 3 touch player. The boy just keeps fumbling, creating pressure on himself and ultimately his teammates when he runs out of time and screws up his disposals under pressure.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought early on the scoreboard didn't do our efforts justice, but then the sodas at the tail end of the game probably flattered us a little, so, I guess it evened itself out overall. *shrugs*

Oh, and footy smarts and footy skills are still desperately needed. Anyone got any they don't want? :footy:

Our boys always seem under pressure and seem to fail at executing under pressure, especially in comparison to younger fellas coming through at other clubs. Could this have anything to do with the level of intensity and level of play in the QAFL compared to the other leagues?

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Not going to hammer our blokes as I thought we fought it out right to the end even with a much lower skills base, size base etc.

Couple of things. The night training routine was an abject failure. Wet weather football 101: keep hands low, ball won't bounce, flatten out hands marking, head over ball and most importantly KISS.

Was asked what effect Harvey had had: my response- zip. Maybe he is keeping his distance for selfish reasons.

I give you leaving Merrett at FF until the game was gone. A serious question- why?? Was Red kicking goals? No. Was he getting the pill? Was he having a 'presence'? No.

This one strategy has had the dual effect of 1) significantly contributing to us losing the game and 2) a complete loss of form and confidence to Merrett.

Took great heart from Raines' and Crisp's efforts.

Wasn't it great to see Rockliff taking on 2 much bigger Cat thugs. Should be shown at every team meeting.

I've just had it with Merrett playing up forward. I'm never one to question coaching tactics but the novelty has completely worn off. From where I see it he adds nothing up there. I don't care about spark or adding another target, it just isn't worth the loss to our defence. Oh yeah, and he can't kick to save his life, another reason...

And PLEASE play Karnezis from now on, I'll never figure that one out either. Probably something internal because every Lions supporter from the sideline wants to see him out there.

Unfortunately I think it's time to start thinking about Banfield to. I said 12mths ago he just isn't a one touch player. Now it seems he's not even a 3 touch player. The boy just keeps fumbling, creating pressure on himself and ultimately his teammates when he runs out of time and screws up his disposals under pressure.

We need Banfield on the field IMO. His biggest asset is bursting away from traffic, which most of our midfield can't do. He was a terrier when up around HFF/wing last year, opposition players constantly fumbling with his presence around the corner. Even if he fumbles, he can tap his way out of congestion and use the burst speed when in the clear. He did it a few times last year. Needs more opportunities. Can't blame him when the ball barely reached our F50 against Freo, and yesterday's conditions were atrocious.

I agree with the suggestions on getting Green. I often wonder what role playing some of our current players are capable of (sorry sheldon), which Green can't do if given the chance.

I couldn't explain these two cases
sheldon vs green
polkinghorne vs harwood

It's not a bashing exercise but some seem to easily hold on to their spots on the playing 21, while others are toiling for it.

Crisp selection is brilliant, should get an extended run in 1's. Other two mentioned above - I am not sure why.

Joel Selwood.

Here's a bloke who is so brave he would gladly dive headfirst in front of a

train if there was a footy in front of it, yet doesnt have a single qualm about

falling to the ground, arms flailing like a sissy after a little love tap. Fair

dinkum. Andrew Raines, you may never be as good a player as J. Selwood but

at least your not a gutless diving sniper. :thumbsu:

With the line breaks I thought this was some kind of free form poem to Joel Selwood to begin with...

Not going to hammer our blokes as I thought we fought it out right to the end even with a much lower skills base, size base etc.

Couple of things. The night training routine was an abject failure. Wet weather football 101: keep hands low, ball won't bounce, flatten out hands marking, head over ball and most importantly KISS.

Was asked what effect Harvey had had: my response- zip. Maybe he is keeping his distance for selfish reasons.

I give you leaving Merrett at FF until the game was gone. A serious question- why?? Was Red kicking goals? No. Was he getting the pill? Was he having a 'presence'? No.

This one strategy has had the dual effect of 1) significantly contributing to us losing the game and 2) a complete loss of form and confidence to Merrett.

Took great heart from Raines' and Crisp's efforts.

Wasn't it great to see Rockliff taking on 2 much bigger Cat thugs. Should be shown at every team meeting.

I think we can't write off the night training after a single episode, especially in such ridiculous conditions as last night. I think it's going to have to be long term initiative to see any benefit. I definitely agree with the rest of your post - shame that the press already seem to be calling out Raines for hitting Selwood, ignoring the fact that it's a retaliation.

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Spotted Banfield on one occasion with both hands on hips at FF with the ball no more than 25m away.

Disinterested? Lazy? Unfit? All 3?

Whatever, not good enough. Seen all the excuses about pressure on the defensive runners, adds zip, fumbles because he runs so fast etc etc. All crap. Needs some serious think time in the 2's.

Along with Polkingorne.

I think we can't write off the night training after a single episode, especially in such ridiculous conditions as last night. I think it's going to have to be long term initiative to see any benefit. I definitely agree with the rest of your post - shame that the press already seem to be calling out Raines for hitting Selwood, ignoring the fact that it's a retaliation.

Atleast AFL has quoted it right.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/134345/default.aspx

"GEELONG skipper Joel Selwood risks possible scrutiny by the Match Review Panel after an incident in the final quarter of the Cats' big win against the Brisbane Lions on Saturday night.

Selwood appeared to strike opponent Andrew Raines, the Lion that had given the star Cat very close attention since the opening bounce on a very wet night at the Gabba.

Raines retaliated, which resulted in Selwood going to ground and several players indulging in some push and shove in the ensuing minutes"

Back