FTA-TV Bruce McAvaney Hate Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He said Daniel Jackson was "normally a very good field kick" the other day.
lmao.gif

in a nail biting finish to the Eagles/Richmond game, he calls Waters mark:
"quick kick away to half-back, Waters, OHHHHHH - HE'S NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE IN HIS LIFE!!!"

Yeah right Bruce. Moron.

And just when you want a perfect call when Darling kicks the winning goal with 10 seconds left in the 4th quarter, here is McAvaneys word for word call:

Bruce: "hook back... well there home now. Is it Darling? Im not sure."
Dennis: "Ask Tim."
Bruce: "Yeah, Tim. It is Darling - it had to be!!"

Great call you pair of muppets. Way to talk all over the noise of the crowd and kill the moment. :rolleyes:

Thank god i was screaming so bloody loud with a mate watching the game live that we didnt hear the commentary at the time.

He used to be a tremendous caller, one of the best in the business. He lost it all, I believe, when he left footy to do Olympics commentating. Spent a year pouring over books, stats everything to do with every sport and he was incredibly knowledgable in his commentary. But by the time he came back to footy, we'd been exposed to the likes of Clinton Grybas (albeit for a very short time :( ) who had truly and deservedly taken Bruce's place. I watched Bruce as a guest on "pictures of you" during the week. What a story he has to tell, and still a delightful bloke. Honest, decent and a good family man. Unfortunately I think he has past his prime as a caller now.

had you had rex mossop for 20 years as your single only tv commentator (that i remember growing up), i believe this would be a bruce appreciation thread...:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rex Mossop got mentioned in this thread and I must now share my favourite line of his - when a player looked innocently at the referee after giving away a penalty:

"Who? Me, sir? .... Yes, YOU sir!"

I still miss those days of Graeme Hughes et al on Channel 10.

As for Bwuce, we are too hard on him, of course. But in turn he has been hard on players like Rioli and Jetta, spurting goo whenever he sees them. It's frustrating to hear this great caller be a parody.

Randon Ben Casanelia quote of the day: "Sellar hasn't got near the ball. His stats are as dry as a wooden Indian".

had you had rex mossop for 20 years as your single only tv commentator (that i remember growing up), i believe this would be a bruce appreciation thread...:thumbsu:

Don't knock the Moose, we used to hang out at his place in the Viking Sauna, he wasn't a bad bloke, considering how many times he had his head kicked in, what's Bruce's excuse?

I googled “I hate Bruce McAvaney” for the the very same reasons as everyone on this thread - and found this is from 2012!!! 6 years later, same irritating sh*t from Bruce: the rhetorical questions/affirmations every 20-30 seconds (I promise that’s not an exaggeration) - he literally cannot speak without a “wasn’t it? don’t you think? Aren’t they? Isn’t he? Etc” or a “So....” or a “Gee...” or “I reckon” or an “eh”.

I was actually watching some footy from the 90s on you tube the other day and Bruce was commentating. Well, it was like a different person completely. At some point in time, probably 10 years ago, he sadly became what he is now - a broken record.

If he could stop the drivel, he’d be fine, but as mentioned, this thread started in 2012 and nothing has changed. He’s incapable of change. Please shut up Bruce. Please just stop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back