Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

@lionsacademy

Good win by u18 boys 15.8.98 def. Suns 6.2.32 in warm conditions at AFLQ HQ in Yeronga. Plenty of good signs and some things we can work on

Better players in no order Conway, Wyld, Smith, Ives, Wagner, Power, Rutledge, Hall... Really whole 24 were pretty good!!! Game 2 next Sat

Conway and Rutledge have been mentioned here previously.

U18 Qld Squad named today:

SCORPIONS SQUAD 2012

James Ives Aspley FC

Sam Henry Aspley FC

Josh Wagner Aspley FC

Isaac Conway Aspley FC

Aliir Aliir Aspley FC

Jordan Bain Redland FC

Tyler Jones Redland FC via Mackay Saints

Tom Overington Mt Gravatt FC via Sandgate

Clay Cameron Mt Gravatt FC

Rhys Power Morningside FC

Josh Smith Morningside FC via Toowoomba

Alex Hall Morningside FC

Brain Coleman-Broome Morningside FC

Jesse Wallin Morningside FC

Michael Wyld Morningside FC

Ryan Johnson Morningside FC

Will Wolbers Morningside FC

Jordan Bourke Morningside FC

Cain Tickner Noosa FC

Jono Freeman Noosa FC

Sam Gribble Sandgate FC

Aden Rutledge Sandgate FC

Jarred Ellis Broadbeach FC

Jamie Skennar Broadbeach FC

Andrew Boston Broadbeach FC

Kieran Brennan Broadbeach FC

Daniel Vanderwerken Southport FC via Surfers Paradise

Jermaine Wardle Labrador FC via Cairns Hawks

John Macansh Curra Swans FC (Townsville)

Lions Academy

The initial Qld u18 squad has been announced 2day, congrats to the 21 boys from our summer program on their selection!!

Trying to do the maths here...there are 22 names on that list from Brissy clubs and I thought Bourke and Cameron were out. Little help?

Good to see some of our 17yos included - Tickner, Conway, Rutledge and Gribble (I think). Are these guys firming to be among our first academy draftees next year?

Report from the last game against the Suns Academy

Best Brisbane : Aden Rutledge, Jordan Bain, James Ives, Rhys Power, Sam Gribble, Michael Wyld

Wow 21 of the 29 from the lions Academy! Good signs there. Surprised by the lopsided nature there given the coast's reputation for AFL talent in QLD

Bob would Tyler Jones from Redland be part of the Suns Academy given he comes from Mackay? that would make it 21.

he may have come down to play before the Academies were set up so played for a Bris club. Would have been brought under the suns Academy when they set it up.

Even though 21 of the 29 were involved in Lions Academy over the summer, apart from the 17 year olds (eg Tickner, Conway), they're not eligible to be drafted by us under the bidding system this year are they?

I was under the impression that the Lions could theoretically draft players from the Academy this year, but the Suns can trump them with their (up to 5) zone picks, which means the Lions have put most of their focus into kids draftable from next year.

Thanks Bob, that's what I meant. Assuming Gold Coast has the playing list space, then between the Gold Coast and Lions academies (and any other Qld kids not in there), they can draft up to 5 kids to themselves first.

Been a while since more than 5 Qld kids were drafted in any given year. There won't be much for us once GC have finished picking any Qld kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was some talk that the coaches a while ago that the coaches were pretty happy with the ruck talent coming through the academy although no-one was puting any names to that talent.

I thought it was worth mentioning that Jackson Gray is certainly likely to be one of those referred to. Gray was listed at 200cm at the under 16 champs and this year has moved from the Sunshine Coast to Aspley to play his football. With the under 18 State stuff taking priority of late I am not sure how many games he has played but I noticed he was named the best for Aspley the other week. He is not currently in the Qld squad but I would be surprised if he did not get a game at some stage this year.

He is one I hope the ressies watchers keep an eye out for if he gets a chance later in the year.

Nathan Clarke

Aside from the listed Lions players, Clarke also praised the efforts of Western Magpies top-up players Alexander Kitching, David Cummins and Scott Clarke - as well as promising Lions Academy teenager Isaac Conway.

“Isaac is one of our really talented top-age Academy boys - which means he’ll be in that first crop of kids who will eventually become available to us in a couple of years,” Clarke said.

“He’s a terrific young kid with a mature body. I remember when I was coaching the Academy, he was a class above the majority of his age group - and he’s continued his development very nicely and even added a bit muscle mass.”

“Isaac’s definitely one to keep an eye on. He’s versatile, but probably more suited as a midfielder.”

The Qld u16 squad of 39 was announced today. Lions Academy players in bold:

The squad is as follows:

COUNTRY KOOKABURRAS

Henjo Mareko (Cape York), Myra Tomsana (Cape York), Didymus Blankett (Cape York), Mitch Koch (Cairns), Rhys Bridge (Cairns), Jeff Hudson (Cape York), Tom Michael (Cairns), James Farley-Smith (Cairns), Robert Reents (Mackay ), Jacob Lowe (Mackay)

GOLD COAST NORTH

Cassidy Haberfield (Surfers Paradise), Troy Clark (Surfers Paradise), Robert Blood (Southport), Jack Taylor (Labrador), Darcy Trask (Southport), Ethan Mackie (Labrador)

GOLD COAST SOUTH

Billy O’Donnell (Broadbeach), Lochie Weller (Broadbeach), James Holland (Broadbeach)

NORTHERN RAIDERS

Jackson Dickfos (Redcliffe), Casey Brittain (Aspley), Luke Barker (Sandgate), Liam Mosley (Sandgate), Jacob Watson (Aspley), Liam Dawson (Redcliffe)

SOUTH EASTERN BUSHRANGERS

Darcy Cameron- Reeves (Coorparoo), Declan Smith (Morningside), Tim Ede (Morningside), Matthew Hammelmann (Morningside)

SUNCOAST POWER

Tom Buckle, William Kristelly Brandon Maki, Cameron Stevenson (Maroochydore), Billy Mahony (Pomona), Daniel Henderson (Caloundra)

WESTERN TAIPANS

Seb Windsor (Everton), Carl Foster (Wests Juniors), Luca Winton (Sherwood), Tim Tate (Darling Downs)

So of 20 players in our zone, 14 are in our academy.

Wot time? Agin who?
Qld under 18's play their first game against TAC cup team tomorrow (Dandenong Stingrays) at 1030 at Yeronga tomorrow, before the Lions/ Swans NEAFL game.
Can see teams listed on TAC cup website already, although would think AFLQ will have something more up later today, esp given its their first game - last year they had an article naming team etc prior to each game.
Will be interesting to see how the Qld boys go, but is first game together and a few missing this week because of injury (Cameron, Wallin, Overington, Wagner, Coleman-broome). Seemingly Lions Academy 17 year olds Tickner, Conway, Rutledge all playing). Of note Whitfield named to play for Dandenong - interesting to see him live given he's touted as potential number 1 draft pick this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back