Henry Slattery Effect

Remove this Banner Ad

No need for sarcasm lads, the bump is apt.

Coincidentally i was speaking with a Hawthorn mate yesterday, saying exactly this - it's amaizing how much better your side can function when you take out one or two weak links, particularly from defense.

Replace a spud like Hank with someone who's actually competent like Hibberd, and whether you like it or not it makes a hell of a lot of difference.

More specifically I was saying i could see Hawthorn often getting close with no cigar again if they were to play Shoenmakers and Murphy in defense in September. It's already cost them a Grand Final birth last year, and it is likely to continue to do so because good sides expose your weakest link.

Ala Hank in our backline.

Good to see that Jimmy clearly doesn't rate him :D (even if he did for some unknown reason, he certainly doesn't now), so we won't have to endure "the Slattery effect" anymore.....and we're a better side for it.

Will be interesting to see how many other afl clubs line up for his services at the end of this season.:cool:

Great bump.

The reason the midfield is so much better than it has been for years is because Slattery's out of the back pocket.

Funny, I thought it was our backline that was performing better as well. Silly me for thinking that.

I mean ANZAC day our midfiled slaughtered theirs and the backline was under no pressure.

Face it - he is gone at seasons end and his limited playing ability is why he won't be picked unless we have to.

his papers were stamped late last year when TRB refused to pick him despite crying out for a small lockdown defender.

Funny, I thought it was our backline that was performing better as well. Silly me for thinking that.

Opposition inside 50's

2012: 3rd. (Only 2 other teams have given less inside 50's
2011: 11th.
2010: 16th

Opposition Goals

2012: 6th
2011: 13th

Silly you indeed. Our defence is still giving up the same number of goals vs the amount of times the ball goes back there. It's just not going back their nearly as often.

I mean ANZAC day our midfiled slaughtered theirs and the backline was under no pressure.

Face it - he is gone at seasons end and his limited playing ability is why he won't be picked unless we have to.

his papers were stamped late last year when TRB refused to pick him despite crying out for a small lockdown defender.

Mmm, funny how the whole team has improved.

Hank was just that bad, he dragged everyone else down with him.

Port could do worse. Even Freo may be a possibility with Lyons type of player.

could throw in the Dees and Brissie as well. Teams that are struggling and need some bigger bodies.

I'd be very surprised, as I've said for 3 or so years......those sides would be much better served getting a bp style player from one of the state comps with a draft pick (or rookie pick), in the mould of a Morris or Hibberd.

From what i gather from reports, and from the one or so vfl match a fortnight (or thereabouts) i see on abc/iq, Hank is rarely the best small defender out there....there is still plenty of talent in the state leagues, particularly for defenders (as they tend to be the last to be noticed).

Genuinely hope he does get a gig somewhere though.

I'd be very surprised, as I've said for 3 or so years......those sides would be much better served getting a bp style player from one of the state comps with a draft pick (or rookie pick), in the mould of a Morris or Hibberd.

From what i gather from reports, and from the one or so vfl match a fortnight (or thereabouts) i see on abc/iq, Hank is rarely the best small defender out there....there is still plenty of talent in the state leagues, particularly for defenders (as they tend to be the last to be noticed).

Genuinely hope he does get a gig somewhere though.

Morris is basically a carbon copy of Hank. Decent defensively, very hard at it, but not a penetrating kick. Hank chooses not to kick more than 30m to get around that, Morris chooses to handball.

No need for that primary school type argument where you pretend that people are mounting a completely seperate argument to the one they are actually arguing, and then put a sarcastic response to the said hypothetical/non existing argument which no one was arguing in the first place!! :D - no one...or at least certainly I'm not suggesting that at all.

What I am/have been saying is:

1. Hank is nowhere near up to afl standard
  2. Having weak links like him, particularly in defense, is something that is usually exposed by the better teams and costs your side SOME wins (and sometimes by the lesser ones too!!).

Not saying that Hank out of the side is THE difference in the team's performance this year.......but it certainly is A difference, and a positive one at that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morris is basically a carbon copy of Hank. Decent defensively, very hard at it, but not a penetrating kick. Hank chooses not to kick more than 30m to get around that, Morris chooses to handball.

And he can read the ball in the air without misjudging it so badly that the opposition fans spontaneously burst into laughter too.....and he doesn't turn it over and put his team mates under extreme pressure anywhere near as regularly, nor does his direct opponent kick anywhere near as many goals.

He has many aspects to his game that are more reliable than Hank's....overall Morris is afl standard (probably just), Hank is not.

No need for sarcasm lads, the bump is apt.

Coincidentally i was speaking with a Hawthorn mate yesterday, saying exactly this - it's amaizing how much better your side can function when you take out one or two weak links, particularly from defense.

Replace a spud like Hank with someone who's actually competent like Hibberd, and whether you like it or not it makes a hell of a lot of difference.

Yeah, Hibberd has been really impressive in our last two wins. Can't see how Slattery would have contributed.

Opposition inside 50's

2012: 3rd. (Only 2 other teams have given less inside 50's
2011: 11th.

Opposition Goals

2012: 6th
2011: 13th

Silly you indeed. Our defence is still giving up the same number of goals vs the amount of times the ball goes back there. It's just not going back their nearly as often.

Care to provide the stats rather than some meaningless rankings.

yes the whole team - because we have erradicated weaknesses.

Putting words in my mouth.

tell me why he wasn't selected late last year when Hibberd had few issues with some clams and had an extended holiday.

And he can read the ball in the air without misjudging it so badly that the opposition fans spontaneously burst into laughter too.....and he doesn't turn it over and put his team mates under extreme pressure anywhere near as regularly, nor does his direct opponent kick anywhere near as many goals.

He has many aspects to his game that are more reliable than Hank's....overall Morris is afl standard (probably just), Hank is not.

Morris is a spud and the only thing that makes him look less like one is becasue people are distracted by his stupid hair colour.

come Saturday night, Morris will be exposed as the plodder he is.

He is no better than Hank.

Strange how Hardingham was in great form in the first half of last year and then struggled in the second, isn't it?

Also funny how the only demonstrable individual difference between our good and bad performances, in a defensive sense, is Cale Hooker.

Yet all supporters would 'clearly' recognise than Watson and Stanton are our most important players so far this year.

But yeah, the evidence that it's all Slattery is hugely compelling...

What a stupid bump? Make u all feel better bumping this thread? Bloody hell. Hank will probably not play for Essendon again (I'm a fan of his, if u didn't know :p).

His papers are probably stamped. Mainly by bomber Thompson. Bomber has his back 6 - 8 settled and hank is not one of them. He needs to re-invent himself now and be given a chance. He is playing more in the midfield....but on current form he will not replace anyone.

Don't be surprised if he ends up at Port next year. His old west Adelaide coach likes the way he goes about his footy.

Such is the nature of the beast, but the continual childish slagging of the guy is a joke.

Strange how Hardingham was in great form in the first half of last year and then struggled in the second, isn't it?

Also funny how the only demonstrable individual difference between our good and bad performances, in a defensive sense, is Cale Hooker.

Yet all supporters would 'clearly' recognise than Watson and Stanton are our most important players so far this year.

But yeah, the evidence that it's all Slattery is hugely compelling...

Who is it that's saying re our improvement that "it's all Slattery"??

You say with sarcasm that that argument is "hugely compelling", yet I haven't actually seen anyone make such an argument.

Perhaps you could let us in on who has claimed "it's all Slattery".

Who is it that's saying re our improvement that "it's all Slattery"??

You say with sarcasm that that argument is "hugely compelling", yet I haven't actually seen anyone make such an argument.

Perhaps you could let us in on who has claimed "it's all Slattery".

There are a minority who blame/blamed hank for everything...minority.

Yeah House, you were suggesting nothing of the sort. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back