Spotify In Australia

hellboy1975

All Australian
Sep 25, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nope, never seen the point in streaming music when it's so easy to just download it. And half of the bands I listen to never seem to be in the library.

mansize rooster

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2004
Here There and Everywhere
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangas
yeah i pretty much feel the same way.
just wondering what people thought.
i mean... i can see the convenience of streaming. absolutely no waiting to hear something. everything is there for you. so that cuts out google searches.

but are they just cashing in on people being even more lazy?
i mean... for the last 10 years we don't even have to leave the house to get music..now its an effort to search and download haha.

when everything is streamed. your tele/music system/phone can pick it up anytime. that is pretty exciting. But alot of devices are yet to do that. so its not fully mainstream.

currently i use youtube and http://hypem.com/ to stream new individual songs.. then maybe i'll d/l the album if its decent. hypemachine is pretty much what spotify is (without the whole discographies of course)

I'll use it to search and find music quickly that I will want to purcahse/download. Cant see myself setting up playlists etc

Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I think it's brilliant. Have been looking for a reason to stop downloading music from less-than-legal sources, and this could be the answer. I'll still have CDs at home, but for at work, Spotify's proving to be awesome.

Sure there's gaps in their collection, but there's so much stuff that's awesome and available that it cancels out the bad.

morri

Team Captain
Nov 4, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Western Cape, Springboks, Proteas .
Streaming is great if you don't want to clutter your hard drive.
I used spotify once as an english alias, pity it discovered that, and I had to use it as the German one which have adverts and not the full functionality of it because ofsome legal crap. so havent used it since then.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
Anyone doubting Spotify's greatness just needs to enter 'John Peel' into the search bar and look at the Peel sessions which come up.

NP: The Buzzcocks - 7/9/77

Sooooo good.

Great suggestion. :thumbsu:

I just signed up and put jazz into the search bar. I got a choice of thousands of songs and artists. There was an ultimate jazz playlist and I have just heard Sidney Bechet, Bill Evans, Art Pepper and right now a swinging 10 minute track by Jimmy Smith.

I just typed in John Peel and that is a great list of hours of incredible music.

I have never been a downloader of music and still buy hard copy CD's generally, but I have paid a Spotify subscription that means I also have it on my phone and can listen to stuff pretty much anywhere.

Early days but I am looking forward to it.

Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
One of my favourite music books is Dave Marsh's The Heart of Rock and Soul: The 1001 Greatest Singles of All Time. It's infuriating sometimes, but nonetheless a great book made up of some great tunes.

Sure enough... someone's gone to the effort of making a playlist of the whole book, in order from 1-1001. There's obviously some missing tracks, but at the moment, the playlist is 891 songs long.

Love it.

(Same goes for Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time)

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
Thanks again. Great suggestions.

I have typed in Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour and have a great list of songs to keep me going !

mansize rooster

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2004
Here There and Everywhere
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangas
word.

last time i checked grooveshark was pretty bad anyways.
I am willing to give spotify a go cause its actually decent. Plenty of stuff on there.

I am a bit sick of google treasure hunts for downloads anyway. especially when streaming on the likes of spotify is even quicker and easier. once i get a decent wireless speaker set up it will most likely be my primary source for music. one program to hold my collection + pretty much any album to stream.

flight23

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Da Bulls
by no means a salesman for any of em, but swingfish is as good and downloads straight into my itunes in seconds

Back