GrandBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Why on Earth don't AFL Games have this? If players were able to see how much time they had left before the siren, then tonight's game wouldn't have been completely ruined.

Nah, Dempsey was unlucky that's all. Making a knee-jerk reaction like this is silly and you should really think about that next time before you post. Did you see on TV all those supporters with faces in their palms, full of emotion? Bring in a countdown clock and you lose that.

Part of the game, don't want a countdown clock at the game because it'd ruin the drama.

Plus I imagine not knowing when the siren's going to go when you win a Grand Final is fun, I knew it was going to go in the drawn Grand Final because I was at a live site but if you were at the ground it would've been crazy.

• Banned
Nah, Dempsey was unlucky that's all. Making a knee-jerk reaction like this is silly and you should really think about that next time before you post. Did you see on TV all those supporters with faces in their palms, full of emotion? Bring in a countdown clock and you lose that.

Knee-jerk reaction??? This isn't the first time the countdown clock has been brought up. It doesn't matter if it's tradition, Dempsey would have taken a shot if he knew there wasn't any time left, but because he didn't know, it altered the result.

and you're kidding yourself if you don't think games will still be loaded with suspense with a countdown clock.

I don't think much would have changed personally. Essendon still had to hoof it down field to get it even remotely close to scoring. Sydney's goal against the run of play made it so. As it was, Dempsey would have been kicking 55 for the win. After the reco, I would have questioned if he could have made the distance myself.......not that I wouldn't have like the opportunity of him having a crack at it.

Knee-jerk reaction??? This isn't the first time the countdown clock has been brought up. It doesn't matter if it's tradition, Dempsey would have taken a shot if he knew there wasn't any time left, but because he didn't know, it altered the result.

and you're kidding yourself if you don't think games will still be loaded with suspense with a countdown clock.
Such is life, such is football. Perfect the way it is.

a) I like it how it is, much more exciting
b) Don't even say stuff like that because the reactionary media will jump on it as the 'issue of the week' then Vlad will change the rules 3 days later

What, a player is going to stop and waste precious seconds looking around for the countdown clock?? He'd have played on no matter what, he'd be looking down the ground. Not up at a clock.

it wasn't a certain goal so you can't say it altered the result

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way, much better without it. I'd even prefer a clock that counts up on the TV. So much more exciting.

VFL today, Williamstown vs Box Hill, BH up by 6 points, ball bouncing around in Willi's forward 50, going out, coming back in, was insanely tense and exciting cause you didn't know how long was left.

Hate the count down clock.

So he'd be looking at the clock instead of running to get to an open position? How exactly is he meant to know how long is left, by staring at the scoreboard instead of the play?
It takes one quick glance. There are plenty of other sports that have a countdown clock, it doesn't hamper the game.
Such is life, such is football. Perfect the way it is.
So much wrong with this post, it's scary. The current AFL game has too many problems to count.
No thanks. If you had a countdown clock you would see teams start playing their chip chip game.
Teams do that all the time even without a countdown clock.

it wasn't a certain goal so you can't say it altered the result
Ok then, 'potentially' altered the result.

Surprised by many of the posts here. So this Sport is all about entertainment, even if it means getting the wrong result? Then might as well bring in the shot clock from the Basketball like a previous poster suggested.

Hopefully they never change it.

Surprised by many of the posts here. So this Sport is all about entertainment, even if it means getting the wrong result? Then might as well bring in the shot clock from the Basketball like a previous poster suggested.

Most here are actually saying that a clock that counts upwards is more entertaining.

How can it alter the result? The siren goes when the siren goes. If a team can't win it in that time, too bad.

Having a countdown clock alters it more than counting up, because the players are able to react to it. They shouldn't be able to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back