Past Tom Rockliff (2008-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Tom Rockliff

Ya read those articles & it is obvious why people speak of hi,m as a future captain. Kids drafted here in future will say 'good coz I get to play with Tommy Rockliffe'.:thumbsu:

Link ....

Lions midfielder Tom Rockliff did not train today due to illness but is expected to be fit to play against Collingwood.

rockliff72.jpg

Best-and-fairest winner Tom Rockliff says Brisbane Lions don't deserve the competition's respect ... yet
  • By Paul Pickering
  • FOX SPORTS
  • May 10, 2012 3:54PM
Rockliff believes Brisbane’s emerging midfield unit - including Jack Redden, Daniel Rich, Jared Polec and ruckman Matthew Leuenberger - has the potential to be among the league’s best, but doesn’t blame those outside the club for reserving judgement.
"I haven't played a finals game yet and most of the boys have only played one (in 2009), so I think that’s what you need to do to get some respect."
Rockliff, who found his way to Brisbane via the 2009 pre-season draft, credits blue-collar former Lion Troy Selwood with helping him make the transition from goal-sneak - he won the TAC Cup goal-kicking award in 2008 with 59 - to hard-running AFL midfielder. He says Selwood’s workrate taught him "what it took to extract the most out of myself".

rockliff44.jpg

The commetators were really getting stuck into Rockliff for giving away a penalty for pushing Shaw to the ground. Looked unneccessary at first, but the replay showed Shaw had hold of Rockliff's jumper around the throat.

Round 8 vs GWS

Tom Rockliff showed class with 36 disposals and three goals.Rockliff, having kicked four behinds in the first three quarters, booted his three goals in the final term.

7231850820_1a89554e8c.jpg

Round 9 vs North Melbourne

7278027876_dce415e7db.jpg

I thought his day (and possibly a significant chunk of the season) might be over when he went off with a hyper-extended knee, so it was good to see him come back on.

Game 50 this week should serve as a reminder to all about how young our mids are. Rocky is one of our most important midfielders, only now reaching 50 games. Can't wait until he is racking up game #100, could be an incredible player by then.

Game 50 this week should serve as a reminder to all about how young our mids are. Rocky is one of our most important midfielders, only now reaching 50 games. Can't wait until he is racking up game #100, could be an incredible player by then.

Noticed him blowing hard on the bench a couple of times, so give him and a couple of the other mids another pre-season or two to build their tanks and core strength, it should be very nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Rockliff's been down for quite a few weeks now. Even his game against GWS has a bit of junk-time redemption about it.

Is he carrying an injury?

Who's the next captain of your club?
  • Glenn McFarlane
  • Herald Sun
  • June 03, 2012 9:54AM
Jonathan Brown has missed so much footy in recent years that the Lions have had to plan for life after him. Now he is back, Browny won't want to be giving it away too early. But Tom Rockliff could be the man who takes over when he does. Rockliff has been a part of the leadership group for the past two years. Time frame: Brown is 30, so it could be in the next few years.

7160510035_8676e0facb.jpg

Tom Rockliff has the 2nd worst win/loss ratio of any current AFL player to play 50 games.

1. Matthew Warnock (11-1-54: 17.42%)
2. Tom Rockliff (12-0-38: 24%)
3. Cale Morton (17-1-54: 24.31%)
4. Jackson Trengove (13-0-38: 25.49%)
5. Nathan Jones (32-3-90: 26.8%)
6. Matthew Bate (26-1-70: 27.32%)
7. Colin Garland (18-2-49: 27.54%)
8. Ricky Petterd (14-1-37: 27.88%)
9. Stefan Martin (14-1-37: 27.88%)
10. Alex Rance (15-1-39: 28.18%)

Discussion thread

Rockliff had a career-high 40 disposals against the Dogs and now ranks seventh (25.36 per game) when it comes to highest average disposals since 1974.

He sits behind only Greg Williams (26.9), Dane Swan (25.8), Terry Wallace (25.7), Mark Bairstow (25.7), Joel Selwood (25.4) and Scott West (25.4).

Mark it down, Rockliff will win the club a 12th Brownlow Medal in the near future - and a place in that Hall of Fame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back