Who's in debt and by how much?

JohnW

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
look up tax avoidance (part 4a)

It explains why you cant restructure your loans to produce a better tax position.

The mortgage broker should of set up your first loan with an offset account, in stead of paying off your house. This would of allowed you to use the fund in the offset account to purchase the new property and also be able to now claim the interest on the first property as a deduction.

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
AMEX: $1900
VISA: $1800
Car loan: $7600

Lost my job at the start of this week, so if I don't get a job within the next three months I'll go crazy. The CC debt in total was out to $6000 in June, so I am working hard to wipe it off. I dream of the day where I can be totally debt free (apart from HECS).

That sucks, my sister lost her job last week for no good reason and has a similar level of debt.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Currently have an investment property for sale. Once it goes through I'll only have the mortgage on my first property, which after I put the money from my investment property into it will be bugger all.

Nope.

The loan repayments of your rental are tax deductable but on your PPOR they are not. Pretty sure it is too late to swap. I think you'd have to get a new loan (on the rental), pay out your current loan and early settle fees.

I'm surprised your loan guy didn't suggest you structure it correctly. The difference is substantial.

Even if a new loan was taken out on the ex-PPOR (now rental) to repay the current PPOR loan, it still wouldn't be tax deductible as the funds would be ascertained as being used for non-investment means (i.e paying out the new PPOR).

There is however a loophole that may be exploited if they own the ex-PPOR jointly with a spouse, in that they could borrow 50% of the value of the ex-PPOR and buy the spouse out, and after the tranaction, the spouse happens to use the money to pay down the new property. The 50% borrowed could then have been used as a tax deduction if you can claim it was for "asset protection" purposes. This however might have stamp duty implications and might not be financially effective. Could have CGT implications as well, but as the property recently became an IP, would be negligible.

As it stands, they might consider claiming depreciation on the ex-PPOR which is allowed, along with the standard costs that will now be incurred as a result of renting it out.

look up tax avoidance (part 4a)

It explains why you cant restructure your loans to produce a better tax position.

The mortgage broker should of set up your first loan with an offset account, in stead of paying off your house. This would of allowed you to use the fund in the offset account to purchase the new property and also be able to now claim the interest on the first property as a deduction.

Agree with the above. Offset accounts for the above reason are much better than redraw facilities.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
about 15 grand, however i could pay it off tomorrow if i wanted to from my savings

Why don't you? You would be saving a lot of money on interest.

PAUR

Club Legend
Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 10, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea
Have never really understood credit card debt, or car loans for that matter.

I missed a connection flight in Copenhagen at the end of my trip (i.e. spent my planned savings) without a c/card I would have been stranded.

I bought my recent flights to Europe on my credit card as the sale ended before my monthly pay cycle. If I had waited 3 days I would have paid 400 dollars more

Other reasons for a loan are to enjoy things now that would take time to save for (car, house). Therefore you value your enjoyment now over the interest payments spread over time.

Some people use credit card features like insurance or frequent flyer points (especially small business owners) which they pay off at the end of the month.

You could make a small differential in interest by buying things on your credit card at the start of the month, leaving cash in savings and then paying at the end of the purchase interest free period.

These are just off the top of my head reasons, other people will have more.

tl;dr: conveniance and diversification

PAUR

Club Legend
Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 10, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea
Fair enough. Then I would say it is people that want to have things now and value their enjoyment of it now more than the cost of it over time (or are ignorant of the cost of it and want it now)

bballscout

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Good points with the credit card. What card would you guys recommend? I don't have one but want one for insurance etc.

Lyyynnnchy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
My house settled last week.

My debt last week
$332,000 mortgage
$14,000 credit card (needed to finish off renovations)
$20,000 deposit for the hosue from my mum

My Debt this week
$0

My Bank account this week
$100,000

Time to get in some more debt. US real estate here I come

bballscout

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Nice work mate, did you renovate and resell? Are you in the building trade or employed others? Sorry for the questions, just trying to increase knowledge for myself.

Lyyynnnchy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Nice work mate, did you renovate and resell? Are you in the building trade or employed others? Sorry for the questions, just trying to increase knowledge for myself.

Nah not in the building trade, far from it, I just learnt as I went. Learnt a lot and would definitely do things different

Had a builder knock out 2 walls and install by-folds in place of 1 of the walls
Plumber changed the location of the laundry and also put in a new toilet and vanity
Electrician changed the location of the kitchen and added new light fittings
Tiler tiled the bathroom
Carpet put in upstairs
New Shower screen

I did the rest ie

Put in an IKEA kitchen
Installed flooring downstairs
Painted the whole inside
Timber decking in 2 courtyards
General tidy up

CranktheAnchors

All Australian
Dec 4, 2006
Docklands
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Water Skiing
Lads,

Need some advice or getting a loan to buy shares. I know a bit about margin lending but i don't really have much capital to make the most of it. Is there anywhere that loans debt to equity on shares? Any advice would be muchly appreciated

xyakks

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2004
Where I'm told to live
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Lads,

Need some advice or getting a loan to buy shares. I know a bit about margin lending but i don't really have much capital to make the most of it. Is there anywhere that loans debt to equity on shares? Any advice would be muchly appreciated

My advice. Don't do it. Only put into the share market what you can afford to lose.

$148k mortgage on a unit valued at $300k-$320k

Bought back in 2004 for $177k

Gonna sell soon and purchase a 3 bedroom townhouse for $390-$400k hopefully............

A lot of poeple get in trouble by tryng to buy something flashy that they cannot afford without building up some equity first.

no other debt and i just use a debit mastercard instead

Lyyynnnchy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Could you expand on this a bit?

It's a bit hard to explain

The kitchen was originally an L shaped kitchen, with the shorter part of the L looking out to the courtyard and a wall seperating the the longer part of the kitchen and the lounge

I tore out the shorter L section of the kitchen and replaced with bifold doors so the the courtyard flowed through to the kitchen and you could open it all up.

I also tore out the wall seperating the longer part of the kitchen and lounge. Overhead cupboards and smarter storage were added to make up for the lost cupboard space from removing one side of the kitchen. This meant the courtyard flowed through the kitchen and into the lounge. Pretty much 1 big rectange with no seperating walls. The bottom floor of the townhouse was incredibly dark so this also helped allow light to filter through.

In regards to the laundry, as you walked into the front door you had a small laundry space on your right and the L shaped kitchen on your left. This laundry section was removed (all seperating walls removed) and the plumbing redirected into the kitchen cupboard (opposite side to the kitchen). Washer and dryer are now located in the kitchen cupboard. The space where the laundry was now contains the fridge (the fridge was originally on the longer side of the L, moving the fridge from there meant more cupboard space) and 2 cupboards.

Click on pics to get a larger version. Doesnt really show where the laundry was though

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Oh yeah I see what you mean. Open plan FTW.

Makes a big difference to knock out all the unneccessary walls that older houses tend to be filled with.

My neighbours house is near identical to mine except has a bloody great (non supporting) wall separating the kitchen from the living areas. Really closes the place in.

bulldogsfan

Rookie
Nov 9, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I was in some heavy debt about a year ago - worked very hard to get out of it, weekly spreadsheeting, managing my budget etc.

I've recently come across Pocketbook: https://getpocketbook.com which makes that process heaps easier for me now. Weekly income / spending email on Sunday helps me understand that I'm right on track - week to week.

I'm so glad I'm now out of the debt.

Back