Changes Round 16 v St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

kylegee28

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Alright, Round 15 has been and gone.

Who do we feel will be changed this week?

For mine

Ins: Lisle, Black,

Outs: Mckeever, Green

Black is an absolute MUST. We lacked so much polish in the midfield yesterday. I think Green needs more time in the two's to work on his endurance.

As for Mckeever, I do rate him as a defender, and this is a bit of a knee jerk reaction, however, I think it's time to give big Jordy Lisle a run to see how he performs.

Time to bring in Acorn and/or Lisle and put Merrett back. Black might not be right for next week from what I've heard.

Riewoldt and Kozi should be able to be contained by Sauce and Patfull, but I'm very worried about their army of smalls. Saad, Milne, Siposs, Milera and Schneider tore the Dons a new one today.

Probably time for Greeny to have a rest, yeah. I'd bring in Beams for a full game.

EDIT: Should probably say that if it was up to me then I'd most def give Polks a stint in the ressies. Confidence is shot, kicking is poor, heart just isn't in it. I doubt Voss will drop him, but he must be under scrutiny at this point.

I doubt they'd bring Polec straight back in although he's worked well as the sub before. Giving Yeo a bit more experience or Docherty a taste might be a good idea.

Keep Crisp, Beams and Patty.

Ins: Lisle, Black (If Possible), Ace.

Out: Polkinghorne, Green, McKeever.

This lets Beams take Polks spot effectively.

Merrett goes down back and Lisle comes in to pinch hit in the ruck + forward.

Ace stays forward and Black in for Green who needs a rest.

Bewick sub.

These are the changes I'd make

OUT: Polkinghorne, Green, Stiller, Bewick
IN: Lisle, Black, Hawksley, O'Brien/Bartlett/Docherty/Yeo

If Black unfit then Bewick stays in. Lisle plays ruck/forward so Merrett can play down back. Hawksley takes Stiller spot. One of O'Brien, Bartlett, Docherty or Yeo get a game instead of Green. Beams plays HFF.

Not sure about defense. I'd like Merrett to Riewoldt when inside 50, McKeever to Kozy and Patfull to run with Riewoldt further up the ground. Patfull could perhaps be an option for Milne.

My thoughts are bring in Cornelius, Lisle needs a run to see what he can bring to our side and also with Ace provide us with more options up forward. Merrett has to go back. The experiment for me is over now that Maguire is out. McKeever is still developing but i cringe every time he touches the ball. I would send him back to reserves. Also i would bring Hawksley in for Stiller. Think Hawksley can win more of the ball and can play midfield back up or down in defence. He deserves a chance - only had one hit out this year against Collingwood and was far from our worst that night.

In; Cornelius - Lisle - Hawksley
Outt: McKeever - Polkinghorne - Stiller

Black i don't think will be back. Polkinghorne needs to be dropped. He needs to regain his touch. Makes to many errors for me.

B : Adcock ( Milne) Merrett Harwood

HB: Lester Patfull Drummond

C: Hanley Rich Raines (Hayes)

HF: Karnesis Brown Zorko

F: Green Cornelius Lisle

R: Hudson Redden Rockliff

I: Hawksley Bewick Beams Sub Crisp

Patfull for Riewoldt, Merrett for Kosi, Adcock for Milne, Raines for Hayes.

HF: Karnesis Brown Zorko
F: Green Cornelius Lisle

I'd like to bring in Cornelius but I just worry about 4 marking forwards getting in each others way and the lack of defensive pressure.

We definitely don't need to be tall down back next weekend. Three talls will be plenty. Otherwise the Saints smalls will run rings around us. Merrett looked so natural in defence yesterday. I'd also like to see him switched back and Lisle to come in and take his forward line/ruck spot.
Polks was very disappointing yesterday too. That handball to Bewick's feet was unacceptable with little pressure.
I was happy enough with the other player's performances. Although Lester, Green and Hudson looked wrecked and could use a rest.

I'd do two outs: Lester and Polkinghorne. Both were role players but just not provided any impact with the ball and not providing much without it either.

Agree with you here. IMO Lester looked slow and tired yesterday and Polkinghorne's form has dropped off - both could benefit from a spell in the seconds.

I'd like to see Docherty get a run in the seniors and perhaps see Yeo return for another crack.

IN Lisle Docherty Bartlett
OUT McKeever Stiller Polkinghorne

I am obviously presuming that Black won't be able to play again.

After yesterdays game it is obvious we aren't playing finals, so I think it is the perfect time while we have some of our senior players out injured to give some younger players ago.

McKeever just isn't ready for this level and he needs to go back to the 2's and find his feet. Lisle needs to come in after having a solid 2 months of good footy in the ressies.

Stiller was shocking yesterday in my opinion and that can be put down to the fact it was his first game back in the seniors for a number of weeks. Now, we could give him a string of games to give him a chance of getting his form back, however I think it would benefit the side a lot more if we gave Docherty a string of 3 or 4 games in a row until Golby comes back.

I don't think Polkinghorne has been as bad as many are making out and I definitely have not joined in with the Polk bashing that seems to be the norm around here on game day threads however I do agree he hasn't been playing well other then that 1 game vs West Coast and he needs to get dropped back to the seconds so he can get some form and confidence back. He will bounce back! Replacing him IMO should be Bartlett as the sub. Why not give him a quarter or half of footy to play to see how he goes at the seniors level? I am sure he will struggle but it would be worth the risk just incase he surprises us and plays well instantly like Zorko (Tinka did have an advantage though considering he wasn't coming off 2 knee reco's and he is a mature ager) and even if he doesn't have an impact on the game whatsoever it would be great for him to get a slight taste of the seniors so that hunger for the top level remains in him through the pre season and he knows what he has to work on to succeed at the top level!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with you here. IMO Lester looked slow and tired yesterday and Polkinghorne's form has dropped off - both could benefit from a spell in the seconds.

I'd like to see Docherty get a run in the seniors and perhaps see Yeo return for another crack.

I'd like to see Dochery and Lisle, but that's purely because the Saints game is the only other Lions game I'm going to get to this year so would love to see their debut in Lions colours. :D Self interest only.

In: Black, Cornelius, Docherty
Out: Polkinghorne, McKeever, Stiller

Merrett to go down back, Brown and Cornelius main forwards.

Mckeever needs to stay,he is still learning and he may as well do it in the ones.
We are not that stocked with fit backmen at the moment.

Certainly needs to stay in the side but needs to be able to be moved off players if he is getting flogged. Need Merrett down back until Maguire is back

Who helps Hudson in the ruck??
No one haha, Merrett doesn't really do much as a relief ruckman anyway got like 2 hitouts against the swans. I guess any big guy could contest maybe Browny in the forward 50

Not getting the calls for Stiller to be dropped:confused:
Some much needed experience considering the forced outs and far from worst on ground.
One of only 3 players not to record a clanger and 71% disposal efficiency.
After every loss people want way too many changes.
Alas after watching the Saints tear up the Bombers lastnight, changes will count for little.

B: Lester, Merrett, Harwood HB: Adcock, Patfull, Drummond C: Hanley, Rockliff, Rich HF: Black, Brown, Crisp F: Cornelius, Lisle, Zorko Foll: Hudson, Raines, Redden I/C: Beams, Bewick, Karneius; Docherty This is the team I expect to be playing on Saturday. If it is raining next saturday then I would remove Lisle from the team and replace him with Polkinghorne (hard-bodied midfielder) or someone else. I can remember last time when the Lions played the Saints at the Gabba and we went into the game with 4 talls (includes Luey, who was playing down foward) and they had 3 talls (includes Mcvoy), which by the way they won the game with that extra midfielder they had. If our match team selection commitee had of checked the weather on that Saturday tonight and they change the selections to three talls then maybe we would of won.

I think it might be time to bring Lisle in, so that Merrett can go back, given that our defense is starting to look limited without Maguire and Golby. Also, an extra tall will help to stretch St.Kilda's defense and ruck, which has had some issues with a lack of talls. I'd probably drop Beams to bring Lisle in.

I think Green looks like he needs a rest. I'd be keen to see Docherty given a run, so maybe this could be a straight swap.

I reckon the likes of Bewick, Stiller, Crisp, Lester, Polkinghorne and Karnezis will all hold their spots, despite their somewhat limited output, unless of course, we opt to bring Cornelius in as well (but this could reduce our running capacity, so I expect only one of Lisle or Cornelius to be brought in) or if Polec is given the nod for a return (but I think he is only in the mix with those names anyway).

I would love to see Doc and Lisle come in. I can't decide whether it is because I think they will improve the side or if I just want to see the in the seniors. Lisle could be a swap for Merett who goes back, and Doc would be a true swap for Golby/Stiller, resulting in Stiller's ejection again (as much as he doesn't deserve it after his effort on Saturday).

There is nothing with our structure and lineup from the last 6 weeks. We just have to find the right players from our back catalogue to fill the holes that have been opened with injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back