Opinion 2012 draft thread.

JG38

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
I know we don't need HBF'ers :p
Probably need two picks inside top 25 tbh.
Hard to tell whether Casboult, Mitchell and Rowe will come on next year..but still one key forward short - Tippett coming out of contract.
The way things are shaping we will have a top 10 pick and will likely trade it if Casboult and Mitchell don't show big improvements next two months.
If they come on and show big improvements then first pick has to go towards a big bodied inside mid and there are a few this year.

Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
I would tend towards needs based decisions...hasn't the 'best available' mantra delivered us a glut of similar type players and left us with a couple of key deficiencies?

Would love to be shown to be wrong here, have been basing my recruiting opinions on Terry 'List Manager' Wallace so am therefore somewhat disillusioned at the moment.

JG38

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Ollie has disposal issues but can definitely find the pill hope Mitchell & Casboult show big signs next two months so we can get someone like Ollie.

JG38

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
1947784.jpg

From what I have seen on Foxtel he plays alot like Andrew Swallow.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Ollie has disposal issues but can definitely find the pill hope Mitchell & Casboult show big signs next two months so we can get someone like Ollie.
Loved his work in the Under 18 Champs & I didn't think his disposal was all that bad. He just needs to work within his limits, much like Carrots does.

As a side note it would be nice to have another premiership team containing the name Wines. Our last one was 1945 (Clinton Wines).

May 6, 2010
Malborne, Orstrayah
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Richmond until at least Rnd 2 2014
If that best available happens to be a ruck-man? I doubt it.

Just depends on how we slant our priorities when listed.

If its a KPF/Ruck then yes. .. Best available is likely to be a midfielder or KPP. .. Wouldn't say no to rookie listing a ruck. ..

Jul 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
We could always trade pick 11 or 12, which ever we get, for an already established key forward... Wait nvm there isnt any on the table.
Perhaps Travis Boak for first pick, may seem steep but will rocket our midfield up to one of the best in the comp.

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
Ruck Stocks: Covered.
Tall Backs: Covered
Small Backs: Covered
Medium Backs: Covered
Medium Forwards: Covered with Gibbs hopefully spending time there next year
Small Forwards: Covered
Tall Forwards: Is what we have going to come through or do we go for another youngster to develop?

Mids: Never enough and all things being equal this is where we may concentrate.

What's our first pick going to be? 12 - 14?
We need a small defender and a hard mid. A defender who can take all those little pricks who have smashed us this year. Hope we make a play for Josh Toy if he wants to come back to Victoria.

Don't know if we would take Ben Kennedy because he's just 174 cms, but you can't sneeze at a player with skill and pace.

I would lean to a big forward if one slides, but a big midfielder is needed. Gibbs will spend more time in the midfield if we can actually get a healthy list. Sam Mayes sounds like he has a similar style to Bryce. Wonder if we would take another of this type if he's available.

May 29, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
KEY FORWARD. End of story.
Would like to add Shaw to the list and his rating seems to be dropping a bit at the moment but there's a few clubs that will have picks in front of us who need to replace tall forwards in the near future. Brisbane need a replacement for Brown and Freo need a replacement for Pav, but who knows.

May 29, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Just at this stage, I'd be surprised if we didn't select mids with our first two selections, unless a quality tall was to slide.
Having said that, it's all still early and anything can change in this weird season.
Yeah everything I've heard Andy McKay say indicates we'll be looking for big bodied mids this year.

Oct 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah too much of a risk. Whoever we pick up, let's just hope for an Adelaide like turn around of seasons. Craig had to go for them though :| Yet they didn't have injuries like we have.

Back