The Clarko media bashing

Remove this Banner Ad

The reporting this week has been way over the top.
Do you think it is because of his association with Hawthorn?
Or is it the continuation of the love hate relationship he has had with the media from the day he got the coaching gig? He is one of the longest serving coaches in the AFL but has never really had the backing of media types. And yet there are definite darlings in media circle, the Scott brothers to name a couple.

What do you think?

It's been ridiculous. You'd think he had gone clubbing baby seals for the fun of it for all the outrage and crap he's copped.

The shrill bleatings of outraged parents on talkback calling for his head has been totally out of proportion.

And then there's the media tools who have given it oxygen - yes you Neil, long time no see - in the name of news.

Sure, Clarko's stuffed up, he's apologised, and that should be that.

But treating him like a pinata has been a little shabby.

And to answer one of the OP's questions: no, it 'aint an anti Hawthorn bias in my opinion, but Clarko has got history for being an 'angry little man', but frack me dead, the last few days have been stupid.

Hate to imagine if he went and did something truly horrible and criminal like embezzle millions from a freakin' union representing lowly paid workers.

The reporting this week has been way over the top.
Do you think it is because of his association with Hawthorn?
Or is it the continuation of the love hate relationship he has had with the media from the day he got the coaching gig? He is one of the longest serving coaches in the AFL but has never really had the backing of media types. And yet there are definite darlings in media circle, the Scott brothers to name a couple.

What do you think?

when clarko tried to be more media friendly we played like busted arses, and they bagged him for it, now he has gone back to an us against them siege mentality and the club as a whole has got their ruthlessness back. If done correctly it is a great way for a coach to get the whole playing list willing to do whatever is asked of them.

As long as we win more premierships i dont care what the media think of us as a club or clarko as a coach.

I
It's been ridiculous. You'd think he had gone clubbing baby seals for the fun of it for all the outrage and crap he's copped.

The shrill bleatings of outraged parents on talkback calling for his head has been totally out of proportion.

And then there's the media tools who have given it oxygen - yes you Neil, long time no see - in the name of news.

And to answer one of the OP's questions: no, it 'aint an anti Hawthorn bias in my opinion, but Clarko has got history for being an 'angry little man', but frack me dead, the last few days have been stupid.

Hate to imagine if he went and did something truly horrible and criminal like embezzle millions from a freakin' union representing lowly paid workers.
It smells on a vendetta but I can't understand it. Like you say, he did something he shouldn't have but really, does it mean we drag up every person's past every time the pass wind as they leave the elevator?
* me dead?

what about ripping the australian public off hundreds of millions of dollars, cheating on your wife and having an illegitimate child.

when clarko tried to be more media friendly we played like busted arses, and they bagged him for it, now he has gone back to an us against them siege mentality and the club as a whole has got their ruthlessness back. If done correctly it is a great way for a coach to get the whole playing list willing to do whatever is asked of them.

As long as we win more premierships i dont care what the media think of us as a club or clarko as a coach.
I made this point earlier in the season knowing that Clarko had all the ingredients to make a success of this season on the back of all the headlines and exageartions the team was copping.
This won't do it any harm.
The players love Clarko and so do we.

I
It smells on a vendetta but I can't understand it. Like you say, he did something he shouldn't have but really, does it mean we drag up every person's past every time the pass wind as they leave the elevator?
* me dead?

Clarko has developed a certain 'image' or perhaps persona is a better description. It's kind of newsworthy, an angle that can be easily exploited by the press. He's in the public eye so that's what happens. And it can get out of control. In this case, so much perspective has been lost here that the whole affair resembles something that Ecsher might have cooked up.

what about ripping the australian public off hundreds of millions of dollars, cheating on your wife and having an illegitimate child.

Or buying one of Craig McLachlan's Albums.

It's been horrendous but expected because there was a couple of incidents so close together that unfortunately he came off looking like a slightly deranged individual. What shits me the most is how much run basil gave the wall punch - seven times he references it in the second half and that's without any vision included - the guy is a gossip queen not a football commentator.

He has copped four weeks so hopefully now they can move on to there next outrage as long as its nothing to do with the hawks.

All new draftees are informed by ALFPA and the wise heads at their respective clubs repeatly ad nauseum about how the media love to dine out on this sort of stuff. The media have done what everyone has expected them to do. Remember the circus of Fev, Bingle, Michael Clarke, Wayne Carey etc.

Personally I couldn't care less about the plaster wall. Rocket Eade smashed heaps of phones in the SCG coaches box.

It'll blow over. He's lost some bark but it'll grow back again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been horrendous expected because there was a couple of incidents so close together that unfortunately he came off looking like a slightly deranged individual. What shits me the most is how much run basil gave the wall punch - seven times he references it the second half and that's without any vision included - the guy is a gossip queen not a football commentator.

He has copped four weeks so hopefully now they can move on to there next outrage as long as its nothing to do with the hawks.
4 weeks from who? The AFL or the junior league?

All new draftees are informed by ALFPA and the wise heads at their respective clubs repeatly ad nauseum about how the media love to dine out on this sort of stuff. The media have done what everyone has expected them to do. Remember the circus of Fev, Bingle, Michael Clarke, Wayne Carey etc.

It'll blow over. He's lost some bark but it'll grow back again.

They have. But even by scandal standards, and relative to the crime, this has been ridiculously disproportionate.

The media outlets would be spewing :) As both huddo and robbo on 360 spoke about what a media circus the hearing would be. Seems the league thought the same and got it out the way quickly, so kudos to them because it means everyone can move on.

SMJFL as of the start of next season as this season is finished
So in other words, they will never see another person associated with the AFL ( coach or otherwise) putting any time back into grass roots for the love of it.
Good call - not.
Far better to have taken an approach to include him in doing something for them or the league than to be be so 'heavy-handed' with the effect of zilch.

It's been horrendous but expected because there was a couple of incidents so close together that unfortunately he came off looking like a slightly deranged individual. What shits me the most is how much run basil gave the wall punch - seven times he references it in the second half and that's without any vision included - the guy is a gossip queen not a football commentator.

Channel 7 are advertising the "punch" for this friday nights game.

So in other words, they will never see another person associated with the AFL ( coach or otherwise) putting any time back into grass roots for the love of it.
Good call - not.
Far better to have taken an approach to include him in doing something for them or the league than to be be so 'heavy-handed' with the effect of zilch.

I have a different opinion in that on Sunday morning he was Mathews dad and was treated exactly like any other person in that league who had breached the rules. Clarko will turn up again (probably not in an official capacity) to watch his boys and I'm sure will help out down at training if asked, so he is lost to no one. I just hope now that that's the end of it and Andy and his crew don't get involved, because quite frankly there is no need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back