Swimming laps

Remove this Banner Ad

Used to do a bit of swimming a few years back, usually around 1-2kms. Found it good for strengthening dogdy shoulders and less taxing on the legs (main reason i started).

Got bored of it after a few months but thinking of taking it up again twice a week for a month or two. Its a lot like running, when you can get your mind in neutral (and not thinking how far have i swam) it is quite enjoyable.

our outdoor pools only open in May.

Great for lungs and backs, I used to be a very bad asthmatic...

Same here when I was young. Got into swimming big time and the asthma went away. I was a very very very very bad asthmatic.

So i've started swimming.........just after some advice from anyone that is a regular lap swimmer. I am swimming as i have a bad back and have been told it is the best thing for me in way of excerise as its low impact.

Anyway i just started with a nice 30 minute workout and i didn't really want to over do it. Started off with 10 minutes of kicking while holding onto the side. Then swam 7 laps backstroke then did some more kicking.

I really enjoyed it and feel good but i have noticed i do have a bit of a stiff shouldar and next on the right side. I will be aiming to do this atleast twice a week and if i'm enjoying it will work up from there

any advice, thoughts?

Sore shoulder is probably from a poor backstroke technique. Do you pull through the water with a straight arm? If you do this might be the reason for a busted shoulder.

I swim laps fairly often but I suck haha. Normally I just get in the pool and swim, usually up to about 1500m straight. Tonight I tried something new which was wayyyy harder than anything else I'd done before. Started off with a 400m then into two 200m then finished with two or 100m. Was only 1km but I was completely stuffed. I timed myself (and pushed myself) on each leg so as to give myself something to aim at in the future. Eventually I would like to be doing either three of four 400m turns which would be absolutely killer.

I swim laps fairly often but I suck haha. Normally I just get in the pool and swim, usually up to about 1500m straight. Tonight I tried something new which was wayyyy harder than anything else I'd done before. Started off with a 400m then into two 200m then finished with two or 100m. Was only 1km but I was completely stuffed. I timed myself (and pushed myself) on each leg so as to give myself something to aim at in the future. Eventually I would like to be doing either three of four 400m turns which would be absolutely killer.

I remember a couple of years a go when I was still swimming we used to do 20 x 100's on 1:05, thinking about that still gives me shivers. A few times a year we would do 40 X100's which would slowly descend from a relatively easy time (1.40) down to 1:05 extremely difficult.

Having said that I'd struggle to swim a k now, might go have a look at some of the old swim sets they used to give us- was absolutely hellish.

For those bored of/not getting enough out of straight 1kms, I did a loooot of swimming as a teenager and one of the best exercises I remember was to break it down to 10x 100m on a set time. For example now I swim 1km in around 16-17 mins so I leave the wall each 100m on 2 mins so if I do it in 1:30 I get 30 secs rest and if I do it in 1:55 I get 5 secs rest. By the last couple you'll be half dead but you'll still keep pushing hard to get a decent rest. 10x 25m on 30 secs is great for sprint work after a straight 1km too

For those bored of/not getting enough out of straight 1kms, I did a loooot of swimming as a teenager and one of the best exercises I remember was to break it down to 10x 100m on a set time. For example now I swim 1km in around 16-17 mins so I leave the wall each 100m on 2 mins so if I do it in 1:30 I get 30 secs rest and if I do it in 1:55 I get 5 secs rest. By the last couple you'll be half dead but you'll still keep pushing hard to get a decent rest. 10x 25m on 30 secs is great for sprint work after a straight 1km too

For sprint work you're better off doing HVO's and "building" sets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't swum for a while but when I did I used a kick board, a pool buoy and flippers to add a bit of variety.

Timely thread. I'm looking to build this into my exercise regime. Was a competent swimmer in high school but haven't done it for many years so I am expecting it to be a big struggle to get back into it. Live not far from an ocean baths that I've been keen to use more often in summer.

I'm planning on doing it around 3 mornings a week to replace my running. Is that going to be enough to see results? What are the best strokes for building upper body strength and getting a good workout? I presume butterfly would be best and breaststroke worst.

Timely thread. I'm looking to build this into my exercise regime. Was a competent swimmer in high school but haven't done it for many years so I am expecting it to be a big struggle to get back into it. Live not far from an ocean baths that I've been keen to use more often in summer.

I'm planning on doing it around 3 mornings a week to replace my running. Is that going to be enough to see results? What are the best strokes for building upper body strength and getting a good workout? I presume butterfly would be best and breaststroke worst.

Proper breastroke technique is hard to do anyway. How competently can you do butterfly though?

I reckon breaststroke is a nice alternate stroke to help with the chest. When I do butterfly I usually alternate it with a lap of breaststroke to ensure there's less rest.

Yeah, I guess what I mean is that I'm comfortable my technique is basically sound, but it is a long way from perfect. I had lots of lessons as a kid and did okay at carnivals but I was never 'a swimmer'. Three times a week is more than I've ever swum before long-term.

Is that a worry from an injury perspective? Should I be thinking about lessons before getting right back into it?

Yeah, I guess what I mean is that I'm comfortable my technique is basically sound, but it is a long way from perfect. I had lots of lessons as a kid and did okay at carnivals but I was never 'a swimmer'. Three times a week is more than I've ever swum before long-term.

Is that a worry from an injury perspective? Should I be thinking about lessons before getting right back into it?

You should probably be okay, most of the videos done of youtube by Aussies is worth a watch though. They only go for 2-3 minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back