Brett Kirk's cringeworthy intro.

SoulJah

Debutant
Suspended
Mar 22, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Why are we hating on such a good soul?

Maybe he should be nothing but a gutter rat? Maybe he should bash people for a laugh? Maybe he should go out and get shitfaced and start groping woman and if they don't respond to how he deems fit, he could hit them? Maybe he should tell people on twitter who bait him that there mother has aids? Maybe he should get drunk and crash his car killing himself in the process for only to be elevated to a higher being? Maybe he should treat woman with such indignation?

We worship the utter s**t in people and frown at the good.

Saying that his style is not suited to the cliché world of AFL broadcasting.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

Maybe he should be nothing but a gutter rat? Maybe he should bash people for a laugh? Maybe he should go out and get shitfaced and start groping woman and if they don't respond to how he deems fit, he could hit them? Maybe he should tell people on twitter who bait him that there mother has aids? Maybe he should get drunk and crash his car killing himself in the process for only to be elevated to a higher being? Maybe he should treat woman with such indignation?

Very well said my friend!

SoulJah

Debutant
Suspended
Mar 22, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Kirk seems truly genuine where's Harry O seems to be guided by his ego, which in the world of spirituality is a no no.

Anyway what happened to the thinker that is Harry O? Don't get to hear or read his wisdom and knowledge in the gutter press no more.

RuFiO

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2006
Neverland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
\m/ Babymetal \m/ New York Rangers
Kirk seems truly genuine where's Harry O seems to be guided by his ego, which in the world of spirituality is a no no.

Anyway what happened to the thinker that is Harry O? Don't get to hear or read his wisdom and knowledge in the gutter press no more.
Yeah, I can't stand Harry.
Like you said, he doesn't seem genuine. Especially when he craps on about saving the world and s**t. When he does it, it feels more like a "Hey look at me, I'm a real thinker."

There's a difference between hating on someone and laughing at a clearly awkward and wooden performance from a bizzare script. Brett Kirk is great but this is just an example of an athlete being thrown into broadcasting with very little training and knowledge of the business. This happens all the time in AFL broadcasting and it shows a clear lack of professionalism from some parties. Kirk should be taking some acting/broadcasting lessons to learn how to present himself as a commentator because it isn't an easy job and it becomes very obvious when you're not good at it.

SoulJah

Debutant
Suspended
Mar 22, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
I am talking about people being personal and criticising his spirituality and everything that comes with it. He is not talented in front of the camera and yes what he says is too scripted, but at least he doesn't come across as some unarticulated moron like most of the ex players or he doesnt speak in massive footy clichés like Luke Darcy and Tom Harley.

Being a geniune good guy seems to offend a lot of people these days where's being an utter douche seems have massive appeal. I guess that comes with trash culture.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
You know, listening back to that intro after all these years, yes it remains weird, but also in hindsight a little tragic, as it was also at the beginning of the C7 sole rights era, and as a mission statement it feels completely two-faced and insincere, even sinister. "engage with our minds and hearts...courage, honest and authentic...we care...we're passionate about the game...we just love the footy". Oh, if only!!!

Kirk clearly took one for the team there and maybe had the leeway to put a little final personalised touch on it.

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
How long was Kirk actually part of 7s Saturday coverage? All I remember is this clip, has aged well to be honest, good on him.

Back