Swimming laps

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Used to do a bit of swimming a few years back, usually around 1-2kms. Found it good for strengthening dogdy shoulders and less taxing on the legs (main reason i started).

Got bored of it after a few months but thinking of taking it up again twice a week for a month or two. Its a lot like running, when you can get your mind in neutral (and not thinking how far have i swam) it is quite enjoyable.

morri

Team Captain
Nov 4, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Western Cape, Springboks, Proteas .
our outdoor pools only open in May.

Great for lungs and backs, I used to be a very bad asthmatic...

Same here when I was young. Got into swimming big time and the asthma went away. I was a very very very very bad asthmatic.

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Baltimore Ravens
So i've started swimming.........just after some advice from anyone that is a regular lap swimmer. I am swimming as i have a bad back and have been told it is the best thing for me in way of excerise as its low impact.

Anyway i just started with a nice 30 minute workout and i didn't really want to over do it. Started off with 10 minutes of kicking while holding onto the side. Then swam 7 laps backstroke then did some more kicking.

I really enjoyed it and feel good but i have noticed i do have a bit of a stiff shouldar and next on the right side. I will be aiming to do this atleast twice a week and if i'm enjoying it will work up from there

any advice, thoughts?

Sore shoulder is probably from a poor backstroke technique. Do you pull through the water with a straight arm? If you do this might be the reason for a busted shoulder.

bigburger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2008
Imagineland
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Everton, WDCC, Force
I swim laps fairly often but I suck haha. Normally I just get in the pool and swim, usually up to about 1500m straight. Tonight I tried something new which was wayyyy harder than anything else I'd done before. Started off with a 400m then into two 200m then finished with two or 100m. Was only 1km but I was completely stuffed. I timed myself (and pushed myself) on each leg so as to give myself something to aim at in the future. Eventually I would like to be doing either three of four 400m turns which would be absolutely killer.

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I swim laps fairly often but I suck haha. Normally I just get in the pool and swim, usually up to about 1500m straight. Tonight I tried something new which was wayyyy harder than anything else I'd done before. Started off with a 400m then into two 200m then finished with two or 100m. Was only 1km but I was completely stuffed. I timed myself (and pushed myself) on each leg so as to give myself something to aim at in the future. Eventually I would like to be doing either three of four 400m turns which would be absolutely killer.

I remember a couple of years a go when I was still swimming we used to do 20 x 100's on 1:05, thinking about that still gives me shivers. A few times a year we would do 40 X100's which would slowly descend from a relatively easy time (1.40) down to 1:05 extremely difficult.

Having said that I'd struggle to swim a k now, might go have a look at some of the old swim sets they used to give us- was absolutely hellish.

Jackfrost

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
For those bored of/not getting enough out of straight 1kms, I did a loooot of swimming as a teenager and one of the best exercises I remember was to break it down to 10x 100m on a set time. For example now I swim 1km in around 16-17 mins so I leave the wall each 100m on 2 mins so if I do it in 1:30 I get 30 secs rest and if I do it in 1:55 I get 5 secs rest. By the last couple you'll be half dead but you'll still keep pushing hard to get a decent rest. 10x 25m on 30 secs is great for sprint work after a straight 1km too

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
For those bored of/not getting enough out of straight 1kms, I did a loooot of swimming as a teenager and one of the best exercises I remember was to break it down to 10x 100m on a set time. For example now I swim 1km in around 16-17 mins so I leave the wall each 100m on 2 mins so if I do it in 1:30 I get 30 secs rest and if I do it in 1:55 I get 5 secs rest. By the last couple you'll be half dead but you'll still keep pushing hard to get a decent rest. 10x 25m on 30 secs is great for sprint work after a straight 1km too

For sprint work you're better off doing HVO's and "building" sets.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I haven't swum for a while but when I did I used a kick board, a pool buoy and flippers to add a bit of variety.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Timely thread. I'm looking to build this into my exercise regime. Was a competent swimmer in high school but haven't done it for many years so I am expecting it to be a big struggle to get back into it. Live not far from an ocean baths that I've been keen to use more often in summer.

I'm planning on doing it around 3 mornings a week to replace my running. Is that going to be enough to see results? What are the best strokes for building upper body strength and getting a good workout? I presume butterfly would be best and breaststroke worst.

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Timely thread. I'm looking to build this into my exercise regime. Was a competent swimmer in high school but haven't done it for many years so I am expecting it to be a big struggle to get back into it. Live not far from an ocean baths that I've been keen to use more often in summer.

I'm planning on doing it around 3 mornings a week to replace my running. Is that going to be enough to see results? What are the best strokes for building upper body strength and getting a good workout? I presume butterfly would be best and breaststroke worst.

Proper breastroke technique is hard to do anyway. How competently can you do butterfly though?

THRILLHO

Most Cromulent Poster
Apr 17, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I reckon breaststroke is a nice alternate stroke to help with the chest. When I do butterfly I usually alternate it with a lap of breaststroke to ensure there's less rest.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah, I guess what I mean is that I'm comfortable my technique is basically sound, but it is a long way from perfect. I had lots of lessons as a kid and did okay at carnivals but I was never 'a swimmer'. Three times a week is more than I've ever swum before long-term.

Is that a worry from an injury perspective? Should I be thinking about lessons before getting right back into it?

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Yeah, I guess what I mean is that I'm comfortable my technique is basically sound, but it is a long way from perfect. I had lots of lessons as a kid and did okay at carnivals but I was never 'a swimmer'. Three times a week is more than I've ever swum before long-term.

Is that a worry from an injury perspective? Should I be thinking about lessons before getting right back into it?

You should probably be okay, most of the videos done of youtube by Aussies is worth a watch though. They only go for 2-3 minutes.

Back