Owner: SCG Trust
Operator: SCG Trust
Capacity: 46,000​

fushy

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Since we have no thread about the SCG i thought i would start one.

I will be happy this year as the Dee's play the swannies at the SCG for the first time in years, so its another game i get to go to :)

Also went to the 2nd day of the sydney test and watch the boys pile on the runs

Stewies Power

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aus Cricket Team & F1 Ricciardo
So redevelopment begins next month, any idea on what stand is going first?

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
To be redeveloped in black - it will be basically the adjacent end of the ground on the TV cameras than the last redevelopment (Victor Trumper stand):

seating-maps.jpg

Detail here:
http://membership.sydneyswans.com.au/scg-redevelopment-faq

:confused::confused:

you mean 'opposite' end of the ground to Victor Trumper stand, to the left of screen when watching on tele. Paddo end.

Beautiful ground. Built on a small area of land so the arena is small relative to other AFL grounds, and the stands can't go back too far. when sitting on the concourse, you get the feeling of being on the arena, when sitting in the stands, you get the feeling of being over the ground

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Love the SCG, saw Clarke get his 300 there which as amazing.
Took the SCG/Allianz Stadium tour a couple of years ago. A brilliant tour, and in what is quite a rarity for sports arena tours, you get the chance to walk right across the ground when the tour moves from the Members Pavilion to the Trumper stand.

Jan 10, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne City & Tottenham
Has the actual demolition of the stands started yet? If not when? Obviously saw the empty stand at the Swans VS Dockers game.

May 23, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SwansCrowsPortFreoGCGWS
It took two years to deliver the last SCG upgrade, how long will this current one take ? Effect on capacity - or is it a modernity upgrade?

Will the new seating be blue and same as last upgrade or green ?

Stewies Power

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aus Cricket Team & F1 Ricciardo
When will the stands be demolished? I see that each time the Swans are at home there are more and more rows of seats missing, but it seems to be taking a very long time. They certainly aren't taking the Adelaide Oval approach and demolishing the stands straight away.

Some of the roofing has been removed from the Bradman stand, and the Messenger, Bradman and Noble stands have all been gutted (save for the big screen on the Messenger stand). Think they're taking the demolition slowly with the threat of asbestos in the roofing I assume.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yorkes_87

Senior List
Sep 14, 2009
Yorke Peninsula SA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne; Norwood; WWT; Redbacks
I've been wondering what the go is here too. The stand has been empty all season but from the TV it looks like little has happened.

Green Monster

Debutant
Aug 12, 2012
Dunfermline, Scotland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox (MLB), Celtic (SPL)
Used to live in Sydney, but only ever went to about 2 or 3 Swans games - and only 1 with the Hawks. Most often went there for the cricket. Last time I was at the SCG it still had the hill and the Doug Walters Stand (what a mistake that was - sunburn central!)...

Yorkes_87

Senior List
Sep 14, 2009
Yorke Peninsula SA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
This looks far better than our new Adelaide Oval. the upgrade is good, the look of the stands at least from above aren't.

Yorkes_87

Senior List
Sep 14, 2009
Yorke Peninsula SA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
What you smokin?

You can't tell me those new stands at Adelaide Oval look good, especially that southern stand. The western stand and its roof looks good by itself, but it doesn't suit going around more than a quarter of the ground. The southern roof is morbidly oversized. The stands are evenly split so it looks like the ground is split almost symmetrically into 4 quarters including the hill. All that being said the idea is good but the SCG looks far better especially with the more standard roof and the old members.

You can't tell me those new stands at Adelaide Oval look good, especially that southern stand. The western stand and its roof looks good by itself, but it doesn't suit going around more than a quarter of the ground. The southern roof is morbidly oversized. The stands are evenly split so it looks like the ground is split almost symmetrically into 4 quarters including the hill. All that being said the idea is good but the SCG looks far better especially with the more standard roof and the old members.
I'm not going to say that Adelaide Oval looks good, it looks normal. But the SCG looks horrendous with that Northern stand. The Bill O'Reilly stand is still gonna be s**t well after the 3rd stage of expansion. 1/3 of the stadium is going to look s**t. Maybe even more if the new stand (other side of the members where coaches boxes/media boxes etc are) is like that eye sore like their new Northern Stand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back