Food/Supplements Protein Powders

88HawksBestEver

Senior List
Jun 15, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Protein Powder is a scam. Wet some powder and rub it between your fingers and look to what it turns too.
How does your body absorb this sludge. It helps ruin your digestive system. Put some time in Planning and preparing your meals. You will save tons of $$$$ and it will be better for your body.

ignorance of this comment is astounding.

Heard great reviews from my mates about Bulk Nutrients so I am going to put in an order for their Whey Protein. All of the other proteins I have tried (Max's, Optimum Nutrition, Dymatize Nutrition and BSC) has given me acne so I am keen to see how this one goes.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Heard great reviews from my mates about Bulk Nutrients so I am going to put in an order for their Whey Protein. All of the other proteins I have tried (Max's, Optimum Nutrition, Dymatize Nutrition and BSC) has given me acne so I am keen to see how this one goes.

Let us know if you see a difference.

Does anyone know if excess protein or protein powders can cause acne?

It made a massive difference for me. I haven't had protein for around 6 weeks or so and my face has completely cleared up. Have not changed my diet or anything at all except for not having 2 shakes per day. It may have a different effect for different people but it made a great difference for me.

Some people are probably susceptible to it but I don't think there's any science to back it up. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Might be a dairy thing? A girl at work breaks out if she has too much dairy - given whey protein is a dairy by-product and most drink it with milk, it's a huge whack of cow product in one hit. Twice a day too :eek:

^ Might be worth trying a non-dairy protein in water/juice to see if it makes a difference

88HawksBestEver

Senior List
Jun 15, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
tried heaps of wpi and wpc over the years.

using the team skip blend from true nutrition in the states. TN is owned by dante trudel of dc training fame.

you can choose your flavors and type of sweetener used. also you can get bcaa or other supps added to your blend. flavor choice is huge from java mocha to strawberries and cream. the team skip blend is designed by Ken hill one of the best conditioning coaches going around.
digests well and tastes great. would not use anything else after using it now for a year.

check it out at truenutrition.com

Some people are probably susceptible to it but I don't think there's any science to back it up. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Ill be the human Guinea Pig for it, ill be purchasing some Bulk Nutrients protein later on this week and will post back with results.

Don't think its a dairy thing at all, I have a lot of dairy anyway which has never been a problem. Only thing I can think of is protein shakes.

Just wondering if anyone can subjectively or objectively recommend a supplement that would be half decent as a recovery or fat burning type drink. More aimed at a triathlete than lifting weights.
I've used recoverite (tastes like crap) and muscle milk (tastes awesome but quite a high fat content but meant to be half decent).
Has anyone used Muscle milk or the light variant?
I'm at sea with supplements as I've never really bothered, but with an increased training load and getting older the muscles probably need some help!
Cheers

Nov 28, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Ill be the human Guinea Pig for it, ill be purchasing some Bulk Nutrients protein later on this week and will post back with results.

Don't think its a dairy thing at all, I have a lot of dairy anyway which has never been a problem. Only thing I can think of is protein shakes.
I'd suggest hemp protein but it's quite expensive in comparison and you're only allowed to possess it,, not ingest it. :confused:

I've been getting BN protein for years - they do source their protein from Fonterra like the majority of other Aussie companies though so if you've tried other proteins and they've all had teh same effect, I'm not sure if this will help much.

Do you normally get flavoured or plain?

lysp

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
tried heaps of wpi and wpc over the years.

using the team skip blend from true nutrition in the states. TN is owned by dante trudel of dc training fame.

you can choose your flavors and type of sweetener used. also you can get bcaa or other supps added to your blend. flavor choice is huge from java mocha to strawberries and cream. the team skip blend is designed by Ken hill one of the best conditioning coaches going around.
digests well and tastes great. would not use anything else after using it now for a year.

check it out at truenutrition.com

Sorry, just had to add something to your post. I wouldn't ever add bcaa to a protein powder ever.

Reason is, protein powder is a combination of (from memory) about 17 amino acids.

BCAA is basically taking protein powder, extracting 4 of those 17 amino acids out through a manufacturing process and keeping those as a separate powder.

The 4 aminos in bcaa make up a quarter of the weight of protein in protein powder. So 100g of any protein powder will always contain 25g of bcaa by default.

Companies use this lack of knowledge about them to market their products as being better than others, when they didn't actually do anything. It's like selling coffee and putting on the side "contains 90% natural water".

People think because bcaa cost so much that having protein powder with them added in, they are getting better value, but the cost of bcaa is actually in removing/extracting it rather than the ingredient itself.

This is why 99% of people never need bcaa if they are getting adequate protein from either food or powders.

88HawksBestEver

Senior List
Jun 15, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sorry, just had to add something to your post. I wouldn't ever add bcaa to a protein powder ever.

Reason is, protein powder is a combination of (from memory) about 17 amino acids.

BCAA is basically taking protein powder, extracting 4 of those 17 amino acids out through a manufacturing process and keeping those as a separate powder.

The 4 aminos in bcaa make up a quarter of the weight of protein in protein powder. So 100g of any protein powder will always contain 25g of bcaa by default.

Companies use this lack of knowledge about them to market their products as being better than others, when they didn't actually do anything. It's like selling coffee and putting on the side "contains 90% natural water".

People think because bcaa cost so much that having protein powder with them added in, they are getting better value, but the cost of bcaa is actually in removing/extracting it rather than the ingredient itself.

This is why 99% of people never need bcaa if they are getting adequate protein from either food or powders.

Sorry was pretty broad in the BCAA comment, the additives that you can put in their protein mix are:

Vitamin and Mineral Mix
Carbohydrate Enzyme Complex
Electrolytes
Protease Enzyme Complex

having said that Ken Hill and Dante are big advocates of intra workout nutrition. They recommend BCAA in your water (with diet cordial for flavour) that you sip over your workout. I have 3 heaped teaspoons in a litre of water. This is separate from post workout nutrition. Don't know a lot of the science but anecdotally since I have added the BCAA's during workout, my recovery has been significantly better and DOMS reduced as well.

I've been getting BN protein for years - they do source their protein from Fonterra like the majority of other Aussie companies though so if you've tried other proteins and they've all had teh same effect, I'm not sure if this will help much.

Do you normally get flavoured or plain?

I normally buy the Chocolate flavour. I'm just curious as they say their product is a very pure form of protein.

I normally buy the Chocolate flavour. I'm just curious as they say their product is a very pure form of protein.
BN get it direct from Fonterra, so there's no mixing or other distributers in between.
There may be 827,000 companies selling protein, but most of it comes from the one source. I tend to just buy natural and put it in a smoothie post workout.

After reading this thread bought a couple of 2.5kg bags from Bulk Nutriants - good value. Powder appears pretty good quality but I'd avoid the coffee flavour - I mean it's drinkable but don't think I'll go with that flavour again, very synthetic tasting.

Hopefully the Strawberry is more to my taste.

topic97

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
After reading this thread bought a couple of 2.5kg bags from Bulk Nutriants - good value. Powder appears pretty good quality but I'd avoid the coffee flavour - I mean it's drinkable but don't think I'll go with that flavour again, very synthetic tasting.

Hopefully the Strawberry is more to my taste.

Yeah I rekon coffee flavors in that sorta stuff end up tasting s**t - I think we get spoilt now days with good cafe coffee too which doesnt bode well for it!!

I have used their choc and now got vanilla and they are both nice, I like the more plain flavors because they mix well if you make a smoothie or something.
Going to give choc mint a crack on my next order I think.

Back