Is Basil Zempilas the worst commentator in footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Judges every umpiring decision and reiterates on the same thing over and over. Every time goodes takes a possession it's "Picked up by the dual brownlow medalist" Then if you're lucky he'll talk about what happens to both teams depending on whether they win or lose the match. w***er of the highest order and when he's not annoying he's boring. At least Brian Taylor is so bad you can laugh at him.

Dec 29, 2007
The Great Wall of Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Steelers Pistons Eels A's Red-Wings
About as good at commentating as Ryan Shoenmakers is at defending.

Last week during the Geelong v. Sydney match was his finest work...

Zempilas (Vardy having a shot on goal): "He once bowled a 300 in a Geelong bowlerama, which included, and you'll be interested in this Ham, 12 consecutive strikes..."
Harely: "I think that's the only way you can bowl 300?"
Zempilas: "Spare, strike, spare, strike?"
Malthouse: "No, I don't think that's right."

Effes

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2003
AFL Club
Carlton
Get the hack off the TV!!!!!!

Same with McLachlan and HarTley.

Try hard egotistical backslapping hacks who never stfu. Always getting replays shown while the game continues.

Siamese Cat

Team Captain
Jun 9, 2012
Salaya, Thailand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
West Perth (the Cardies)
About as good at commentating as Ryan Shoenmakers is at defending.

Last week during the Geelong v. Sydney match was his finest work...

Zempilas (Vardy having a shot on goal): "He once bowled a 300 in a Geelong bowlerama, which included, and you'll be interested in this Ham, 12 consecutive strikes..."
Harely: "I think that's the only way you can bowl 300?"
Zempilas: "Spare, strike, spare, strike?"
Malthouse: "No, I don't think that's right."
Adding to the dementia of that exchange was that it was a joke. Vardy and his mates we just having a play.

DirtySanchezWCE

Senior List
May 31, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Better than HMac for sure - not the worst up there, if you include Bruce and Dennis being parodies of themselves, and BT being..BT - you could nearly make the unfortunate argument that he is one of the better callers on 7 ... Shame they're going all the way through the finals series !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Saturday night crew are more irritating.

I dont mind Basil, I just find that he seems like he is trying to say every word perfectly without fking up. Maybe the AFL TV gig isnt right for him? He definitly has some value.

And, regardless of how good or bad Hame is, he does add an uplifting, optimistic tone to his commentating. As a team him and Basil compliment each other I think.

DardySingh360

Premiership Player
Mar 16, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
Saturday night crew are more irritating.

I dont mind Basil, I just find that he seems like he is trying to say every word perfectly without fking up. Maybe the AFL TV gig isnt right for him? He definitly has some value.

And, regardless of how good or bad Hame is, he does add an uplifting, optimistic tone to his commentating. As a team him and Basil compliment each other I think.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Basil must have some friends in very high places. I don't even know how he got his ugly mug on Channel 7 Perth all those years back. I couldn't believe it when I turned on a game earlier in the year and heard his stupid voice.

Aug 10, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Hawthorn
C7 is the WORSE channel broadcasting afl. It's time they got rid of all of them, and refreshed the whole lot. Taylor, what a twit, he hasn't any idea who is who out on the ground, he yaps about everything but football.
Zempilas is a clown! The viewing is shocking, watching the ants on the ground is appalling!Terrible broadcasting. They are all TOOLS on Channel 7, there is no other name for that channel..Get rid of them all, and start again..1/10..:thumbsdown::eek:

Mister_A

The Mayor
Jun 26, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne AFLW
Basil Zempilas and the whole Saturday afternoon team annoy the hell out of me
I love them. They are so, so bad that I find it hilarious to watch now.

You have to think of them as a comedy team, like they are trying to act that way (even though they aren't and they just suck) and it gets you through it laughing.

PrideOf

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 17, 2001
Here, obviously
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AFC
Basil must have some friends in very high places. I don't even know how he got his ugly mug on Channel 7 Perth all those years back. I couldn't believe it when I turned on a game earlier in the year and heard his stupid voice.

And Hamo got the job because his brother is in AFL House.

Is it becoming clearer why the AFL media is so s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back