Has Gary Ablett hurt his all time standing by moving to Gold Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
practically from 2007-2010 there was two shelves of elite players in the AFL, there was franklin dane swan judd ect, then above that you had garry ablett sitting on a level of his own

every time the question was asked who is the best player in the AFL, the question was undoubtedly answered garry ablett within 2 seconds unless you had a media commentator trying to stand out and be controversial and different... he was number one by a country mile lets be honest

since his move to the gold coast, he isnt even the first player brought up into discussions about who is the best player in the AFL let alone sitting on a shelf of his own.... his stocks have deminished something terrible since joining a poor performing team

i see it as a real shame because the way he was traveling at geelong he was on his way to being remembered as a top 10 player of all time if not top 5 giving his old man a run for his money

now it is a big iff if he would even rank in the top 20 come the end of his career rather then a certainty

i know some people will barter on and say how he is still just as good and highly thought of now but the sad reality is he isnt, hes gone from being the undisputed player on a level of his own to the 4-6th mentioned as a possible best afl player, im using this as my example for simplicities sake rather then anything else such as stats and such

personally i think its sad but the reality is this is what he picked money over at the end of the day

Na he's a 4 time MVP, another all Australian to his collection and a likely winner of another Brownlow. If anything his stocks have risen, raising his game to another level, and performing exceptionally whilst being in an average side with no help.

He's the best player in the league and the best midfielder of all time.

Anybody that says otherwise is an ordinary judge of talent.

Franklin only gets bandied around lately by some as the best player, simply because he is currently in the limelight with his side being premierships favs

Rubbish. His all time standing is rising.

Tips;
(a) One r thanks
(b) there are a million other GAJ threads you could have posted in.

Na he's a 4 time MVP, another all Australian to his collection and a likely winner of another Brownlow. If anything his stocks have risen, raising his game to another level, and performing exceptionally whilst being in an average side with no help.

He's the best player in the league and the best midfielder of all time.

Anybody that says otherwise is an ordinary judge of talent.

Franklin only gets bandied around lately by some as the best player, simply because he is currently in the limelight with his side being premierships favs

not arguing his performances and ability that he is the best, but i dont think this alone is enough to get you there, his public reputation and standing has taken a pelting, it is a reality that he was when at geelong the undisputed AFL's number 1 on his own shelf, since moving to GC his moved back to the pack and like i said above is hardly even mentioned by people as the best player in the AFL straight off the bat, compare the media talks and expert opinions of the games best players now compared to 2010, 2010 it was 100% ablett without a question, now he might get a mention alongside 4-5 others.. and this is because sadly he is rotting away in a ordinary team and may well be playing in a bottom four team for the rest of his time in the game

I disagree. As stated by myself in a previous post, he doesn't get mentioned now as the best straight of the bat because his side isn't in the limelight. Those like Franklin etc get regularly mentioned as the best because they along with their side are in the current spotlight, where their team is having success. Hawthorn are sitting on top so experts tend to mention Franklin, not only for finals exposure, but because he's currently viable and still playing. Ablett's name tends to be forgotten due to this aspect. Everybody knows Ablett is the best player in the game and his standing as the best midfielder ever just rose again with an undisputed 4th MVP award.

he's awesome but not in the same class as his oldman.

I'd put him up there with Matera, Judd, Akermanis, Williams, Ricciuto but what he does at the Suns from now until the end of his career won't propel him any further as the Suns won't play finals until Ablett has retired or moved back to Geelong.

His rivals to the throne of 'best-ever' are playing in teams that will experience finals throughout the remainder of Gazza's playing days which will ultimately see them rise in big games and gain much exposure, their exploits will go down in history as meaning much more than dominating the home & away fixtures like Gary currently is.
Had he stayed with Geelong...who knows what he would have done in last years finals and again this years, not to mention next years finals to add to his reputation like Bartel/Hawkins did in 2011.

We will never know for sure whether choosing to leave one of the greatest teams in the history of Australian Rules Football for a mediocre team on the Gold Coast has affected his "all time standing". Looking back at the legends of our game, the vast majority played at successful clubs, ie. clubs that played finals (eg. Ablett Sr, Carey, Dunstall, Lockett, Hudson, Coventry, Farmer, etc).

Personally, I believe that GAJ would have had a greater "all time standing" had he stayed at Geelong. He would have had at least one more Premiership, many more finals appearances, more highlights in "blockbuster" games and far more media exposure in the AFL heartland. Additionally, he would be remembered as the loyal champion who turned down a large sum of $$$ to stay at the team both he and his father played for.

Instead, he will not play another final in the foreseeable future, will rarely play in front of a matchday crowd of >35,000 and will only be seen playing on free-to-air TV a handful of times per year.

Are we more impressed by someone who dominates playing for a bottom-of-the-ladder team or someone who stars in a premiership-winning team of champions? For me, its the latter.

A fourth MVP trophy and being named AA captain and AA vice-captain in successive years means Gaz is still clearly the best player in the competition. It's such a shame seeing someone at the peak of their powers playing in a team that can't win.

Yes.

Imagine if had won 3 or 4 premierships and captained a premiership team ASWELL as all the awards he has now. He's still going to be one of the greatest, but could have been even greater.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

since his move to the gold coast, he isnt even the first player brought up into discussions about who is the best player in the AFL let alone sitting on a shelf of his own.... his stocks have deminished something terrible since joining a poor performing team

I think he is still widely regarded as the best in the competition. Although I was bemused to hear Buddy described at the AA ceremony as the league's biggest superstar (surely that title now belongs to Tomahawk? joking)

When I read threads like this I just cannot help but think that some Cats supporters are still finding it difficult to deal with the fact that little Gazza has gone.

I think he is still widely regarded as the best in the competition. Although I was bemused to hear Buddy described at the AA ceremony as the league's biggest superstar (surely that title now belongs to Tomahawk? joking)

i dont think you can sell short the media experts and commentators and public reputation when determining his standings on the all time ladder, no one could doubt or argue that he is now widely considered less then when he played at geelong.. like i said its almost a fact that back in 2010 he had a shelf of his own he was placed at above the rest, this is far from the talks now.. and at the end of the day, these same people getting paid for their opinions and media commitments are going to be hall of fame selectors now and future

if anything i think he has gotten more skilled and tallented, but is this alone enough to split him apart from carey matthews ablett snr dunstall? i think there is a very fine line once you start talking about the 20 odd legend hall of famers and what exactly splits them apart from the rest, playing in a bottom four club with no success or impact with anything he does on the field getting belted by 10+ goals on a weekly basis compared to someone like matthews and ablett senior playing in constant success and finals appearances til they retired is surely going to come into things

the way i see it, taking the money and running for the gold coast may very well cost him being a hall of fame legend

the way i see it, taking the money and running for the gold coast may very well cost him being a hall of fame legend

Never!! I bet his name is already engraved on whatever it is they hand out.

Many Geelong supporters hoped the move would fail, arguing he wouldn't have the big bodied players protecting him. GAJ bebunked that argument fairly swiftly, and has continued on unabated.

I think that taking his name out of the limelight afforded to winning teams has hurt his standing in the game. Imagine if he'd pulled out a fifty-touch game with the Cats this year - they certainly wouldn't have given the 10 Coaches' Votes to Daisy Thomas...

i dont think you can sell short the media experts and commentators and public reputation when determining his standings on the all time ladder, no one could doubt or argue that he is now widely considered less then when he played at geelong.. like i said its almost a fact that back in 2010 he had a shelf of his own he was placed at above the rest, this is far from the talks now.. and at the end of the day, these same people getting paid for their opinions and media commitments are going to be hall of fame selectors now and future

if anything i think he has gotten more skilled and tallented, but is this alone enough to split him apart from carey matthews ablett snr dunstall? i think there is a very fine line once you start talking about the 20 odd legend hall of famers and what exactly splits them apart from the rest, playing in a bottom four club with no success or impact with anything he does on the field getting belted by 10+ goals on a weekly basis compared to someone like matthews and ablett senior playing in constant success and finals appearances til they retired is surely going to come into things

When you say, 'widely considered less' do you actually mean widely as in yourself and a handful of other bitter Cats fans?

Every commentator and media expert I've heard reckon that he's better now than when he was at Geelong and has grown with the responsibility of the captaincy and leading a young inexperienced side.

You must restrict your media viewing / listening / reading to the Bitter Cat media outlet.

What a joke of a thread. Find something more constructive to do with your spare time or start threads with some more intelligence in them.

I can see both sides of the argument.

On one hand, I was one of those that thought he'd go backwards a bit when he didn't have the likes of Bartel, Selwood and Corey continually blocking for him, but he has continued to play at his same high standard, or perhaps slightly better than he did when he was at Geelong.

On the other hand, I think his form at GC has actually come at the cost of helping develop the young midfielders around him. Make no mistake, having one of the best players running around is a good thing, but how healthy is it for the likes of Bennell and Swallow to have Gaz running around the back of packs looking for a cheap handball? You just have to look at the Collingwood game towards the start of the year when Gaz had 50+ touches yet the Suns lost by about 12 goals, and then look at how the likes of Bennell and co. have travelled when Gaz hasn't been playing. It's all well and good for Gaz to pad his stats, but sometimes he does it to the detriment of his side's development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back